Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

Let's not beat around the bush, $2.3m is pretty shit for a film that has Terminator in the title. Turning Terminator into a pretty lame PG-13 franchise has been a bad move. These movies used to be badass. Can't see them making the next 2 movies, this one was meant to breath the franchise new life, but instead it seems to have put the final nail in the coffin.

• Like 2

That makes the T5 number even worse then. But we will just have to see, maybe it will be very backloaded over the 5-day frame.

what is the chance that 5th movie of a franchise which marketed it as Arnie is back will be backloaded. I would say almost zero. Specially 4th of July weekend.

what is the chance that 5th movie of a franchise which marketed it as Arnie is back will be backloaded. I would say almost zero. Specially 4th of July weekend.

Honestly no idea. The marketing made the movie look pretty darn awful, so it's possible the diehards are staying away for the most part. The marketing was pretty widespread though and maybe it played better with casual members of the general audience who don't attend preview shows. We'll just have to see.

I mean it's not a good number if you were expecting a TS take but for the $100M+ tracking number that's been out there for a while, it's pretty much in line.

So it's a good number if you were expecting a flop?

Let's wait and see how Wednesday turns out. Tuesday previews post-TDKR are weird (who goes to see a movie at 7 on Tuesday) and I'm not sure if there's enough examples to draw empirical conclusions yet. Not a good number for TG obviously but considering it's Tuesday it might not turn out too awful. Mike increased only .3 from its predecessor despite a higher budget, more marketing, and being a sequel, so that would be a disappointment if it was a Friday, too. So I'm taking both of these numbers without drawing much conclusions.

there will be a Terminator 6, Paramount is even making Hansel&Gretel 2, overseas will save it

Wouldn't be so certain. Hansel and Gretel was low risk with a budget ($50m) less than a third of Terminators. I bet the marketting expenses have come out quite high too for TG, I see quite a lot of advertisments, but little general excitement.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

there will be a Terminator 6, Paramount is even making Hansel&Gretel 2, overseas will save it

Probably not enough to make it double it's budget though, and Hansel & Gretel 2 is in development hell anyway, and will probably never get made.