grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 hour ago, Alli said:

I admit, the image of will smith is shocking, but i find it hilarious that people complain that Will Smith doesn't look like in the animated version. a few months ago people complained about these live action movies copying the original ones. now disney is giving something different, people still complain...

True. Though i really can’t stand these childish attitudes that animation-nerds are giving towards the live action remakes of the animated films.

And it’s usually a negative one like ”Oh, this remake is nothing like the animated film” or ”Oh, this remake is too samey as the animated film.

So far, we have 6 original live action remakes to fully-animated films that Disney released (from earliest to latest): 101 Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book & Beauty and the Beast. And they all were profitable.

Next year we get Dumbo, Aladdin & The Lion King...and yet some few users still bitch about their existance (probably even after when they get released, worst case scenario). Christ! 🙄

14 minutes ago, jedijake said:

'Tis the season to be overly negative? Seems to be a lot of bashing and unfounded criticism based on some pics. Not sure if that's just people trying to cause the movie to tank or from Disney haters or what?

It's not like this movie is poised to be an Oscar contender. It's just a fun take on the classic.

Agreed that actual criticism is unfair, but it's always pretty funny when promotional material fails miserably (see: Sonic). Plus it gives those us who are anti-live-action remake a little more fuel for the fire.

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Hmm. People are treating this like this film going to suck to them anyway, despite a big & profitable gross for the film?

Is this the 2019-equivalent of JW:FK?

The film is getting destroyed on Twitter LOL

It will be a huge success by blockbuster standards but by Disney standards? A letdown.

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Choices were made for this and none of them were good. 

It's just fascinating.  Literal basic knowledge of advertising could've avoided this, yet here we are.

It adds to my theory that there are some movies that studios want to flop. 

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I ll say it one last time :

So stupid for Disney to release this movie the same year as all the other huge brands they alreay have.

Gonna get lost in the shuffle.

They want it to flop. I know the truth.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I ll say it one last time :

So stupid for Disney to release this movie the same year as all the other huge brands they alreay have.

Gonna get lost in the shuffle.

Aladdin should’ve come out in 2020 honestly, it could’ve been better prepared by then and gives Dumbo and The Lion King enough space to breathe.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I mean are there any Arabian actresses on the rise? I’d get if they didn’t wanna get a newcomer and instead someone who’s relatively new to the game but still has some things under their belt (Power Rangers).

Having newcomers didn't stop them with some other main roles in these live action films. I mean the actor playing Aladdin is pretty unknown, just some minor TV roles, and he's the lead.

Edited by Ithil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The problem is Disney is not only dropping too much on the market in general next year. But they have three high-profile films that rely 100% on nostalgia for their original animated counter-parts. No studio is bullet-proof and there will be some duds in between money-eating monsters like Avengers: Endgame and especially The Lion King.

This will be one of them and Dumbo too. Just like the 90's, this trend will peak with The Lion King and everything after that will be diminishing returns - some far worse than others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ithil said:

Having newcomers didn't stop them with some other main roles in these live action films. I mean the actor playing Aladdin is pretty unknown, just some minor TV roles, and he's the lead.

But I’m pretty sure they have a formula; they wouldn’t put 2+ newcomers in the leads for a major film like this, unless the property is super popular.

• Like 1