grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

True I get it they want the focus on the new one. Then make sure it lives up to the original. If it exceeds it THEN talk about why you made changes while appreciating the original that got you to that place. Easy right? 

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

This has already sold more seats for that weekend than either Detective Pikachu or John Wick 2 have sold for their first weekends at my theater. I doubt this approaches Beauty and the Beast '17 numbers overall but yeah, this is gonna be big.

Living in Florida, is it possible your proximity to Disneyworld is having an impact? Because it's so far doing absolutely terribly in Seattle outside of Dolby AMC, and I'm kind of shocked at just how low they are; I'll confess to being very pessimistic about this film, but at our biggest Regal, it's sold nine tickets across eight showtimes which includes two IMAX and one fan event.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Checking my theater, Pokemon has sold maybe a dozen more tickets because it has 4 showings as opposed to 3, but Aladdin pre-sales are all IMAX/Dolby Cinema which means higher premiums.

Aladdin pre-sales look healthy enough so far, but we'll see how that translates across the entire weekend.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Living in Florida, is it possible your proximity to Disneyworld is having an impact? Because it's so far doing absolutely terribly in Seattle outside of Dolby AMC, and I'm kind of shocked at just how low they are; I'll confess to being very pessimistic about this film, but at our biggest Regal, it's sold nine tickets across eight showtimes which includes two IMAX and one fan event.

I dunno. None of the other theaters seem to have been doing that great so maybe it's just that this is the most popular location, especially on opening weekend for any movie (and the only screen they have up is the PLF auditorium, which neither Pikachu and John Wick are slated to get so far). FWIW this theater constantly runs promotions for Disney World during the pre-show. Including, most recently, this creepy commercial for the International Flower and Garden Festival currently happening at Epcot:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dumbo also started tracking at $60M three weeks out and opened to $45M.

Tracking for Dumbo was $ 50-60M 3 weeks before, not $ 60M.

It made $ 46M, Pretty close to the low end... and let’s not forget Disney didn’t make a good last marketing push for Dumbo which probably hurt the movie along with the terrible reviews and bad WOM.

Unless Aladdin also have trash reviews, bad cinemascore grade and no marketing push all at once, this movie should open with +80M easily and match the tracking.

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Unless Aladdin also have trash reviews, bad cinemascore grade and no marketing push all at once, this movie should open with +80M easily and match the tracking.

Lets be honest: this kind of movie is review-proof. I just don’t think the demand is as high as projections say, but we’ll see. Feeling like all 3 big May films will disappoint rn 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I could see this clearing out $140M and getting the Memorial Day weekend record

Bingo, but let's not forget the f*cks that keep saying this was gonna make 80m TOTAL DOMESTIC!!

LOL @ the mindless hate.

• Like 3