grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Dunno-judging by what I'm seeing, we COULD see $10 million in previews.

This is going by the same eyeball estimate that told me there was NO way EG was making under $300 million and with at least $60 million previews and  finally saw the light with TFA years ago that told me "oh my gosh, this could be near $250 million).

So we shall see! Whether the preview number can give it enough steam to make $80 million in the 3-day weekend is what we will be asking.

23 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

saw it today and i loved it. honestly will is really great? the film drags a bit without him.

naomi scott is wonderful and mena massoud is pretty good too, especially at the comic parts. there’s a dancing part where the genie controls him which is a bit of genius physical comedy. and i actually think the love story is much better in this version than in the animated version. they give them a couple more scenes together and it really makes a difference. the two of them are very sweet together.

guy ritchie is the one who lets everyone down. he has no idea how to shoot a musical number and there’s so much weird, abrupt cutting and editing.

I could be wrong, but isn't editing usually done by an editor?

Even the Russo brothers didn't edit Endgame, they have an editor that does such things. 

EDIT: According to this, James Herbert edited the film. We can blame any weird or abrupt editing on him. Richie is still on the hook for not being able to shoot though :P

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6139732/fullcredits

Edited by VanillaSkies

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

He's directed 4 films with a higher RT, 3 with a lower, and two with an equivalent RT.

For him, this is middle of the pack.

Ritchie is great when it comes to crime thrillers....other genres, not so great.

5 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I could be wrong, but isn't editing usually done by an editor?

Even the Russo brothers didn't edit Endgame, they have an editor that does such things. 

EDIT: According to this, James Herbert edited the film. We can blame any weird or abrupt editing on him. Richie is still on the hook for not being able to shoot though :P

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6139732/fullcredits

Except abrupt and weird jump cuts is a Ritchie style

Directors approve editing and usually work with editors - the buck usually stops there. (unless the producers come in and kick the director out or the director just skips after the last shot).  The director is also responsible for having enough of the right footage and coverage to allow a well edited movie. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rorschach said:

I've only seen 4 of the live-action remakes. If I had to rank them...

1. The Jungle Book - 6/10

2. Beauty and the Beast - 4/10

3. Maleficent - 3/10

4. Alice in Wonderland - 2/10

So far, I haven't really been impressed with any of them.

Last 2 were not remakes.

Maleficent was a prequel to "Snow White".

Alice (2010) was a sequel ..not so much to the Disney animated film but to the original Caroll novel.

Remakes, Sequels, Prequels..different things.

20 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Dunno-judging by what I'm seeing, we COULD see $10 million in previews.

This is going by the same eyeball estimate that told me there was NO way EG was making under $300 million and with at least $60 million previews and  finally saw the light with TFA years ago that told me "oh my gosh, this could be near $250 million).

So we shall see! Whether the preview number can give it enough steam to make $80 million in the 3-day weekend is what we will be asking.

I don't think $10 million will happen. Even the best indicators for this (Fandango/MT numbers) don't point to that high. If it somehow did hit that, then we'd be looking at something like a 100+ 3-day probably, not 80.

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Directors approve editing and usually work with editors - the buck usually stops there. (unless the producers come in and kick the director out or the director just skips after the last shot).  The director is also responsible for having enough of the right footage and coverage to allow a well edited movie. 

Also notable that this editor has worked on the last 4 movies with Richie... haha
I think it is safe to say they aren't exactly the greatest pair!

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Cutting a film is a joint effort between the editor and the director. The idea is the editor can see problems  and glitches that the director might not be able to see because the editor  has a more objective viewpoint (he did not direct the film and  his ego is not involved )  but the director can overrule him. And directors seldom have time to totally cut their won film, there are a million things a director has to in post production, and has no choice but to delegate authority.

As for Ritchie, his jump cuts worked great in his Crime thrillers...his other films, not so much.

Edited by dudalb

16 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

According to Mojo, Aladdin is getting the third highest theater release with 4476 location,  with only Despicable Me 3 and Endgame opening larger 😮 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2019&wk=21&p=.htm

And it still can't pass $100M 4-day weekend? All that for a drop of blood...

After 170 reviews I think that I can comment on Aladdin's Rotten Tomatoes score now. These okay reviews and constantly verging on Rotten score will not be enough to save it, skeptics will skip it. The only thing that can save it is if the people who do see it disagree and give it great word of mouth. It has to pull a Bohemian Rhapsody. Lucky for it, it's international numbers won't be garbage like Solo's were. I see 185-200mil domestic and maybe like 350-400mil overseas. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Got back from it. As someone who hated Beauty and the Beast, it wasn't too bad. I did not hate this movie like i thought i would. I think it is a solid enough movie. Big Willie steals the show though but the lead wasn't too bad either. Jarfar is the one major problem though. This guy looks and sounds like a wimp and a few of the setpieces obviously pale in comparison to the original. Animation can get away with alot more than what Live Action can do. But eh i give it a 6.5-7 which is the range i think previews will go. If not an 8

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

After 170 reviews I think that I can comment on Aladdin's Rotten Tomatoes score now. These okay reviews and constantly verging on Rotten score will not be enough to save it, skeptics will skip it. The only thing that can save it is if the people who do see it disagree and give it great word of mouth. It has to pull a Bohemian Rhapsody. Lucky for it, it's international numbers won't be garbage like Solo's were. I see 185-200mil domestic and maybe like 350-400mil overseas. 

Probably yeah. Might do 600 it does not a disappointment or a success. Merely meh.