grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Aladdin was surprisingly fantastic. Best parts were Will Smith and Naomi Scott. Loved how much stuff they gave Jasmine to do, the new original Speechless song was an amazing addition and emphasized on Jasmine’s character and struggles. Prince Ali, A Whole New World and Speechless were the standout scenes for me, the visual effects in Genie’s abilities were beautiful. and as expected of Guy Ritchie the slow-mo action sequences were dynamic and coherent. Whoever they got to play Jafar sucked ass and his performance was pretty forced and comical, but at least he came off as unintentionally funny at times. That’s really my only grip with the movie, everything else was perfect and a lot better than what the trailers made it out to be.

They should've shown more of Genie in the trailers, Will Smith was really great. I think Aladdin will have a superb WoM it has so much nostalgic feels while also changing and adding some stuff from the original to make it stand out on its own, the new humor elements worked pretty well. I hope it makes 200M domestic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also the DJ Khaled credits scene that critics are moaning and groaning about, you know, you could just like, walk out of the theater since it's, like, in the credits and not an actual part of the movie. These people made me think it was going to be its own huge scene and it just plays in the credits.

It least it's not like Ocean to Ocean from Aquaman.

As for the difference between the Will Smith and Robin Williams genies, let's kinda be honest, Robin Williams was just being Robin Williams and now Will Smith is being Will Smith. If you like Will Smith, you'll like his genie.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Capture.PNG

The percentage of users we’ve confirmed bought tickets for this movie who rated it 3.5 stars or higher.

wait a minute, the verified ratings only count for people who gave the movie 3.5 stars or higher? what about verified users who didn't like the movie.. :wtf:

It's saying that 3.5 or higher is fresh, not 3.5 or higher only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DAR said:

How hard is it to separate Will Smith as the Genie from Robin Williams 

i'm a big fan of the original and robin williams and didn't think once about him to be honest. i didn't get the impression that will was trying to impersonate robin at all - rather, he was amping all the parts of Will Smith the Movie Star up to 100

As for the difference between the Will Smith and Robin Williams genies, let's kinda be honest, Robin Williams was just being Robin Williams and now Will Smith is being Will Smith. If you like Will Smith, you'll like his genie.

great way to put it.

• Like 1

Did anyone see this in 3D? Unfortunately, I can only make it to the 3D showing tonight. Ritchie's last movie was some of the best 3D I had ever seen so hoping this is at least decent in 3D.

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Capture.PNG

The percentage of users we’ve confirmed bought tickets for this movie who rated it 3.5 stars or higher.

wait a minute, the verified ratings only count for people who gave the movie 3.5 stars or higher? what about verified users who didn't like the movie.. :wtf:

The percentage of users we’ve confirmed bought tickets for this movie who rated it 3.5 stars or higher. is 88%

Out of 40 verified users, 35/40 liked it. That's 88%, or 87.5% to be exact. 5/40 didn't like it. That would be 12.5% of verified users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, RT now has 2 different Audience Scores, uh?

If you click on verified ( those who proved they bought a ticket ), it's at 88%.

If you click on all audience, it's at 78%.

Yup. 

One is arguably more accurate than the other because it prevents troll review and review bombing. But with a much smaller sample size, it's still somewhat limiting. 

Also, most regular RT users aren't going to understand that they have to go under the "more" tab to find the option for "all audience" reviews. 

Most are just going to open the page, see the audience reviews displayed on there (which is the verified accounts), and just assume that is the overall audience rating...

Audience score (verified) now at 90% with 60 reviews counted. 

I'm so interested to see how this develops now, with the two difference scoring systems. 

For what it's worth, the all audience isn't bad either at 79% counting 438 reviews.

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

Aladdin was surprisingly fantastic. Best parts were Will Smith and Naomi Scott. Loved how much stuff they gave Jasmine to do, the new original Speechless song was an amazing addition and emphasized on Jasmine’s character and struggles. Prince Ali, A Whole New World and Speechless were the standout scenes for me, the visual effects in Genie’s abilities were beautiful. and as expected of Guy Ritchie the slow-mo action sequences were dynamic and coherent. Whoever they got to play Jafar sucked ass and his performance was pretty forced and comical, but at least he came off as unintentionally funny at times. That’s really my only grip with the movie, everything else was perfect and a lot better than what the trailers made it out to be.

They should've shown more of Genie in the trailers, Will Smith was really great. I think Aladdin will have a superb WoM it has so much nostalgic feels while also changing and adding some stuff from the original to make it stand out on its own, the new humor elements worked pretty well. I hope it makes 200M domestic.

LOL! I love how it's completely unanimous how Jafar sucks in this. We saw social media reactions like yours that were borderline glowing, but with the caveat that Jafar was pretty bad. 

Good review, though. I just found it unintentionally funny reading yet another person saying the same thing, especially when the rest of your review is overwhelmingly positive and energetic. 

• Haha 1

Wow, this was one of the biggest movie shocks in quite some time for me. I loved this. It stayed very true to the animated one, yet somehow didn't lose any of the charm by feeling reductive. Where it did do new things was to flesh out any of the plot and characterization that may have been underdeveloped in the animated one. Jasmine in particular gets a major character upgrade and goes from a Disney princess that never really stood out much to me to one of the best Disney princesses to date. The Sultan and Jafar also get character upgrades, and even Aladdin and Genie felt more fleshed out.

Naomi Scott was fantastic and the added "Speechless" song is so good it could have easily been in the original and lived up to the pedigree of the other classic songs. The casting was all around fantastic, even Jafar worked in spite of how awful he seemed in the trailers. Smith was the most invested in a role I've seen him be in a long, long time and it reminded me why he used to be a bonafide worldwide box office magnet. I couldn't get over how much Massoud's singing voice sounded like the voice in the animated movie, it was uncanny at times.

The movie was also a visual delight, and there were some really inventive special effects going on in places. Ritchie toned down his style so that it just adds a nice artistic flair and isn't obnoxious like it is in most of his films.

What can I say? I was dead wrong about this one and I think critics are too. If not for the fact that William's performance is so irreplaceable and iconic, I might even say I prefer this one to the animated one. It does seem like a more fully realized telling of the story.  Far and away the best Disney live action adaptation yet and best Ritchie film. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 4

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

After seeing this, I'm convinced "attractive and looking down to fuck" qualifies as great chemistry for a significant number of folks.

What did you think of KoTM btw?