grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

$70-$75 million 4-day is $55-$60 million 3-day (probably). $200 million domestic is impossible with that, especially with the RT score it has.

It will be VERY lucky to reach POTC5/Mary Poppins 2 numbers domestically. That's beyond pathetic. But that's reality.

I really don't think that releasing it in 2020 would have made a difference. The ONLY plus would have been if TLK is well received then there would have been good will toward remakes. Right now, Dumbo helped to kill that mojo (and it really wasn't that bad).

The whole remake thing started innocently and had a real purpose. Alice in Wonderland was not a direct remake but more a sequel and tied in the new 3D mania. And it worked. It was different, new, and fun. Maleficent was a total reimagination of a VERY old classic. Not a hugely popular classic either. So again it was new, fresh, and imaginative. It was an experiment of sorts. And it worked like AIW.  Cinderella was a re-telling and was not met with any angst. It was as if people who loved the classic were all in for a retelling. For a movie with very limited audience, it did very very well. TJB was not a very widely popular classic and the remake was a TOTALLY different view that really pushed the limits of CGI animals. Once again, it felt fresh and experimental. And once again it was a success. Then came BatB. Say what you will about it, the hype was huge and it was very well received by many fans. This was really the first remake of the modern films and people seemed more than ready for it.

Something happened between BatB and Aladdin. A whole year went by without a remake. The live actions during 2018 were all bombs except for MPR which was at least a major disappointment. So, maybe for Aladdin, it was ALL about the movie itself rather than the fact that they were remaking it. I mean, why should Disney have stopped when the remakes (other than Pete's Dragon) were all big hits? How would it be logical to stop what was working SO well?

So if it was all about the movie itself (Aladdin) then logic would dictate that they should not stop making these...at least the most well known ones. But nowadays people are not at all forgiving. It's the society we live in. Fickle to say the least and more fickle in the past 2 years. Dumbo and Aladdin both bomb and people want to pull the plug. Well Disney knows better. That is why TLK is coming out the same year. That and getting stuff on Disney +.

People had no hope for SW after the alleged TLJ backlash. Same with Disney remakes after Dumbo and now Aladdin. Same was true about DC until WW came out. So one or two films should NOT be enough necessarily to break a pattern.

Edited by jedijake
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’ll stop posting on here forever if Aladdin opens to $75M or less for the 4-day. That’s how confident I am that it won’t. 

Dont do that lil red pikapool:) your innocent sweetness would be missed here:( i need aladdin to make 150m 4 day...:/ i REALLY want MDW curse broken.. 

TTVOMJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I’ll stop posting on here forever if Aladdin opens to $75M or less for the 4-day. That’s how confident I am that it won’t. 

I won't say it that assuredly but will agree than over-80 4-day is more likely than under-75 4-day. 

@TalismanRing Rewatched the Evermore scene from BATB, and I'm sorry, I just cannot agree with you. It bores me. That awful Beast CGI, the way Dan Stevens sings it, the wannabe sad staging.... like, yeah, it's hard not to feel empathy for the Beast due to the situation he was in, but I dunno, the song doesn't do it for me. I feel like Speechless is doing something quite similar - a Broadway-esque somber approach to how a character is feeling - but it hits me much closer home, perhaps due to Naomi having far stronger vocal charisma and ability to convey emotion with her singing voice. That being said, Evermore is easily the best song of the BATB remake. Everything else kinda sucked, while Evermore is just a "ehh, fine?" kind of deal. For me, as far as music from the live-action Disney remakes go, it's about on par with the Bill Murray version of Bare Necessities from the 2016 Jungle Book (which is a song that I also didn't really care for much, but I appreciated the charming honesty and uniqueness as it did its own thing while still paying homage to the original version).

I guess Aladdin is off to an easily better start considering that it's too a musical and I genuinely like two of its tracks (while everything else sucks). BATB seems better from a costume and set design perspective - probably the two strongest aspects of that film, and the two things that would always stand out more in a live-action movie than in the animated version. Let's see what happens when comparing the cast and the effects.... I liked the BATB cast, but everyone was giving bland performances except Kevin Kline and Josh Gad. 

Disney set Aladdin up to underperform (I don’t care what anyone tells or how repetitive it is but Disney doesn’t do great marketing for three tentpoles in an 8 week timeframe especially when they’re relying on Endgame and TS4 to be big) in order for Disney+ to succeed. 

Aladdin should’ve waited for early 2020 and Mulan could’ve moved to Christmas 2020.

That said still thinking $85M/$110M/$260M

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Planning on seeing it this weekend. I've been holding back on listening to Speechless aside from that one preview that came out earlier because I want to be surprised. But I caved and listened to the movie version of A Whole New World and dang I like it a lot!

Especially at "Don't you dare close your eyes", Aladdin's actor sounds a heck of a lot like the original.

1 hour ago, FrozenUnicorn said:

Planning on seeing it this weekend. I've been holding back on listening to Speechless aside from that one preview that came out earlier because I want to be surprised. But I caved and listened to the movie version of A Whole New World and dang I like it a lot!

Especially at "Don't you dare close your eyes", Aladdin's actor sounds a heck of a lot like the original.

Lol... i am actualy listening to it right now... its better to taste the song a bit imo... then with a bit of recognition relive the "first" impression:)

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

15 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Disney set Aladdin up to underperform (I don’t care what anyone tells or how repetitive it is but Disney doesn’t do great marketing for three tentpoles in an 8 week timeframe especially when they’re relying on Endgame and TS4 to be big) in order for Disney+ to succeed. 

Aladdin should’ve waited for early 2020 and Mulan could’ve moved to Christmas 2020.

That said still thinking $85M/$110M/$260M

Cruella got the Christmas 2020 slot.

Now before anyone says that a 59-60% RT for Aladdin is underwhelming...lets see how the audience will react to this film. I mean....even negatively received films...somehow makes a profitable gross: See Venom from last year for example (And that film had far lower RT-Critic rating).

It’s funny that since we’re talking Disney live action-remakes....i haven’t heard anyone mention the live action 101 Dalmatians from 1996 (Disney’s first legit live action remake, before the trendstarter ”Alice”).  What did anyone think of that movie?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34