grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Saw this last night

My thoughts (no spoilers but I wrote a lot):

Spoiler

Lemme start with the negatives:

- The pacing and some annoying editing that makes the movie seem amateur or something, didn’t like it

- Some inconsistencies and plot holes

- The animals were poor CGI, wasn’t expecting Jungle Book/Lion King realism but Abu for example just looked weird

The positives:

- Good things are found in this live action remake that aren’t in the original, for example, Arabic culture was a lot more incorporated in this movie:

More Arabic influenced production in the music, a traditional dance is featured, etc.

I’m not Middle eastern but seeing a lot of Middle Eastern representation in the cast and extras in this big budget live action movie was really sweet and very exciting

All of this refreshing and makes the movie a lot more unique than it already is

-Characters have a lot more depth, especially Jasmine. I always found the cartoon Jasmine as an entitled out of touch little brat who wanted to mingle with commoners just because she didn’t like being told what to do

This live action Jasmine is a lot more likable, she is at least passionate about her kingdom, educates herself and genuinely cares for her people

Her story and the royal aspect of the movie is a lot more interesting in this version, depth was added to that

-The cast had very good chemistry, Aladdin, Genie, Jasmine and Dalia especially and everyone acted and sang well (some were just fine)

It's also the most romantic Disney remake imo and the best chemistry between the leads

So many funny scenes too thanks to the likable and funny cast

-Some things in the trailers and clips were bad because they were taken out of context

The Prince Ali clip was the smallest part of the whole scene

That scene let alone the movie itself has a bigger scale than the original and is by far the biggest Disney live action remake I’ve seen so far in terms of scale

Jafar also seemed bad in the trailers because it’s out of context. In this movie he fits. The original was a cartoony, almost a caricature-like stereotypical villain which is fine for a cartoon. This live action Jafar is what a Jafar would be if he was a real-life person. I love how they used him as the embodiment of what the polar opposite of both Jasmine and Aladdin would be…what they would be if they were corrupted. It worked for me.

There are good things in this version that aren’t in the original because it wouldn’t work there and vice versa

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

I saw this yesterday. My expectations were pretty low so I was actually surprised at how entertaining it was. I never felt bored and the movie was actually good in most moments. The Genie, Aladdin and Jasmine delivered, everyone else is kinda meh and I didn't like Jafar at all. The movie has some flaws but not even close to the negativity it's been getting over the internet. For me the most important things were the musical performances and I think they nailed all of them and Speechless was good too. My audience liked it a lot so I think this is going to get a good response from general audiences. 

Updated Live Action rank: 

1. The Jungle Book 

2. Cinderella 

3. Aladdin/Beauty and the Beast

4. Beauty and the Beast/Aladdin 

5. Maleficent 

6. Dumbo

7. Alice in Wonderland

Original animated movies rank (only those that got a live action): 

1. Aladdin

2. Sleeping Beauty

3. Beauty and the Beast 

4. The Jungle Book 

5. Cinderella

6. Dumbo

7. Alice in Wonderland 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

30 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I saw this yesterday. My expectations were pretty low so I was actually surprised at how entertaining it was. I never felt bored and the movie was actually good in most moments. The Genie, Aladdin and Jasmine delivered, everyone else is kinda meh and I didn't like Jafar at all. The movie has some flaws but not even close to the negativity it's been getting over the internet. For me the most important things were the musical performances and I think they nailed all of them and Speechless was good too. My audience liked it a lot so I think this is going to get a good response from general audiences. 

Updated Live Action rank: 

1. The Jungle Book 

2. Cinderella 

3. Aladdin/Beauty and the Beast

4. Beauty and the Beast/Aladdin 

5. Maleficent 

6. Dumbo

7. Alice in Wonderland

Original animated movies rank (only those that got a live action): 

1. Aladdin

2. Sleeping Beauty

3. Beauty and the Beast 

4. The Jungle Book 

5. Cinderella

6. Dumbo

7. Alice in Wonderland 

Didn’t 101 Dalmatians also get a live action remake in 1996? 🤔:redcapes:

How can people miss that one?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

21 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Didn’t 101 Dalmatians also get a live action remake in 1996? 🤔:redcapes:

How can people miss that one?

Probably b/c most people on this site weren't even born then

Egregiously this list does not have the lovely Pete's Dragon on it.

• Like 1

I do remember both 1996 Dalmatians remake and Pete's Dragon. I didn't include the first one because for me it is not part of the new live action remakes since it was 14 years before Alice started this trend, plus next year Disney is going to release Cruella. As for Pete's Dragon it is not part of the animated Disney Classics so I did not include it. I used to love 1996 101 Dalmatians as a kid and I really liked Pete's Dragon, so i haven't forget about them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Morieris said:

All that time waiting for a Jasmine solo song that isn't delegated to some sing along VHS and that is what everyone was okay with? It's like the music is drowning Naomi out but she still manages to be pitchy and oversing the song.

It's a power struggle, and we all lose.

When she's not having to make herself heard (Maybe it was a metaphor) in A Whole New World, she sounds great.

Like the "swallowing sand" and "I'll breathe when they try to suffocate me" lyrics being evocative of Jasmine trapped in the hourglass in the OG and drowning in the sand. My sister and I would always play a game while watching the movie as kids where we would stop breathing when she went under and then released our breath once Ali smashed the glass and rescued her.

Trying to complete that game was a bitch.

hourglass.gif

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Probably b/c most people on this site weren't even born then

Egregiously this list does not have the lovely Pete's Dragon on it.

And the 2010 Alice In Wonderland is not a remake of the Disney Animated version....but  a sequel ...not so much to the Disney film but to the original Lewis Carolll novel. But it still sucked.

Edited by dudalb

26 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

The Pete's Dragon remake is way better than the original.

Agreed....though it's so different from the original that it's only technically a remake.

The original was a pretty medicore movie...a good example of why  Roy Disney called Disney studios in the 70's "The Dark Ages"....Very few Disney movies produced in that decade were memorable. Roy Disney said the reason was the execs in charge wanted to keep things "just like Walt would have wanted"...never realizing that trying new things, taking risks and not just copying what you had done in the past..were what Walt was all about.

And it caught up to Disney in the early 80's when the company was in deep finiancial trouble....even the kids were not going to  Disney movies anymore. It was only when the company was facing being bought by ..ironis of ironiws..other film studios that shareholders rebelled  brought in new management and ..for the first time..brought in somebody from outside the company to run it..Michael Eisner.
Thought Eisner went off the rails in his later years at Disney, there is no doubt he saved the company in the 80's..with his decision to set up Touchstone studios and begin producing movies aimed at adults which did not have to cater to kids.

Pete's Dragon remake has no poetry, no magic, no fun and it's on the contrary filled with utilitarism. Probably the reason some eyes may like it.

1 hour ago, Bordlove said:

Saw this eaelier. Naomi Scott was outstanding as Jasmine!

Precisely. Her song was also great, and the scene where she performs it is clearly one of the best moments of the movie.

I expected some real junk (and after the first 10 minutes I still had that idea, as the Aladdin chase song was just a disrespectful parody), but the movie was quite entertaining. As Royce correctly mentioned, there are some good additions that would have been out of place in the original movie. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to make a LA of Aladdin, as that movie has got an incredible pace (and incredible/extreme characters) that only a "cartoon" can sustain. The same could be said about a live action of The Emperor's New Groove. They did limit the damage, kudos to that.

PROS: Jasmine, the new song, the chemistry among the main actors, the Genie (yes, can't believe I said it), the fun

CONS: Aladdin's solo songs, Aladdin (chemistry is good, but you also need a good face), Dalia being as Asian as I am, some (not too big) plot holes and dialogue troubles

My Live Action Rank:

1. Beauty and the Beast (10/10)

2. Cinderella (9.5/10)

---

3. Aladdin (7.5/10)

---

4. Alice in Wonderland (6.5/10)

5. Dumbo (6-/10)

6. The Jungle Book (5/10) > superficially well-crafted, but it lost pretty much every good thing the original had (Baloo now a master of the double-entry method - sic)

---

7. Maleficent (3/10) > a total insult to the original

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

As predicted, Ritchie delivered. Where are the Ritchie haters now? :Gaga:

Yeah, a borderline rotten rating and underperforming at the box office with making a minor profit on a big investment is delivering.

Seem to be living in your own little reality, I see. Butt hen fanboys are good at that.

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah 59/60% such an incredible delivery.

With a small profit on a big investment the most likely scenario at the box office. That is really delivering.

I think the term delusional applies here.

I just don't understand how people can ignore facts staring them in the face like that.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

i think you're the only one that still remembers that thing.

Hey now! The original "Pete's Dragon" is a decent classic, albeit not an animated one!

Edited by I Am
  • Like 1