grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Dude, it doesn't matter if it fits the original Aladdin

It fits THIS Aladdin.

It's generic, insipid, and uninspiring - so you're absolutely right, dude.

Edited by I Am

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Jesus Disney. Why can't you have some quality control on the remakes of your classics? 

Because these really shouldn't exist in the first place. The live action robs them of the inherent charm of the medium of animation and all the best they can do is copy and paste to reductive results. Or they mess with a classic story people probably don't want messed with just for the sake of something different. It's a lose-lose. The only place there is potential here is with the animated ones that aren't so beloved and perhaps have a good premise but are flawed, leaving room for interesting improvements (i.e. The Sword and the Stone is one that fits this that could turn out great).

• Like 3

I have a feeling that if this was original movie, it would fare better with critics. but the original is so beloved, there's no way to go but down. it's impossible to successfully replicate the animation into live action. it's just not possible

Edited by Alli
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Presales in Mexico are looking at a bit over half of Maleficent OW according to the Mexico thread. Should be the same in other Latin American markets. But @salvador-232 knows more about Latin America than I do.

In Chile presales are not as disastrous as it appeared yesterday, but Aladdin in the region is looking to be way more closer to Dumbo than to Beauty and the Beast 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

I have a feeling that if this was original movie, it would fare better with critics. but the original is so beloved, there's no way to go but down. it's impossible to successfully replicate the animation into live action. it's just not possible

That's the risk with remaking a beloved movie. The remake generates immediate interest from nostalgia, but audiences and critics (rightfully) use the original film to compare the remake, and things can go south if the remake just doesn't compare to the original. Aladdin could have still gotten a $100M 4-day weekend if the marketing campaign was competent, though.

Edited by stealthyfrog
  • Like 1

lol why are we freaking out now? 59% is actually still much better than most were expecting.

I guess the worst thing you can say about these live-action remakes is that they expose how overall flimsy the plots of the classic animated originals were in the first place when transported from the animated realm into a flesh and blood one (as well as how animated movies vs. live-action are approached differently). The recent Dumbo remake, in which the entire plot is set in motion by the first appearance of an unquestionably adorable creature being met with boos from the audience, felt like an especially extreme example of this.