grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Will Smith has not been in a fresh movie in a while. I just saw a post on reddit that's quite concerning: he has not been in a movie rated 70% in twenty years. I know RT is not the ultimate barometer for movie criticism, but it shows his lack of luck in picking even mediocre movies.

Not entirely true...although it was a cameo

Spoiler

Anchorman 2 :sparta:

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Will Smith has not been in a fresh movie in a while. I just saw a post on reddit that's quite concerning: he has not been in a movie rated 70% in twenty years. I know RT is not the ultimate barometer for movie criticism, but it shows his lack of luck in picking even mediocre movies.

I mean, as long as audiences enjoy them (as they usually do), then there is not really a problem. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I have to admit, I don’t think I’ve seen a Rotten Tomato score drop this rapidly in such a short period of time since Man of Steel. 

Blair Witch began at 100% after it screened at Comic Con (where it was titled The Woods until it was revealed to really be Blair Witch 3 as a surprise) and then dropped way, way, way down into Rotten territory once a lot more people saw it.

Just now, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I mean, as long as audiences enjoy them (as they usually do), then there is not really a problem. 

do they?  suicide squad, bright...these movies are not standing the test of time. but i guess they made him richer

I'd put money on them underutilizing the transformation ability of the genie, which was such a cool thing about him. But it's an impossibly expensive task for CGI.

It's not even about the "making impressions" thing. Just him transforming into a red hulked out form of himself and then shrinking into his lamp with the "phenomenal cosmic powers! Itty bitty living space" line is 100 times better than what we get in this...

I think Will Smith was a good choice, but CG genie was never going to work, unless they threw ALL the money at it.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Blair Witch began at 100% after it screened at Comic Con (where it was titled The Woods until it was revealed to really be Blair Witch 3 as a surprise) and then dropped way, way, way down into Rotten territory once a lot more people saw it.

For whatever reason, reviews for the GI Joe movies started off fresh before dropping way down.

13 minutes ago, Alli said:

WIl Smith is not the box office giant he once was. INHO he never really recovered from After Earth. Audinces hated the bait and switch (SMith got star billing, but had little screen time ) and hated the nepotism of Smith trying to make his kid into a big time star. We have no theard much of Jaden ever since....

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'm trying to remember which movie dropped so much from the time the "Critical Consensus" was posted that they had to rewrite it...

Blair Witch if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure they had a positive consensus up at first but I might be mistaken.

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'm trying to remember which movie dropped so much from the time the "Critical Consensus" was posted that they had to rewrite it...

Could they be changing up the circumstances in which they put out the critical consensus when reviews are a mixed bag? With movies like Endgame and John Wick, reviews came in steady and fresh.

There is no excuse for one of most popular movies of the Disney Renaissance to have a live action adaptation be a 58%. Dumbo I can understand but Aladdin, come on Disney, this is just embarrassing. 

This movie has never been able to catch a break from negativity and now it shows in the final product as well. No more giving it the benefit of the doubt, another dud in Disney's live action library critically speaking.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 2

Well, they sure are divisive.

Some critics seem to love it, and others seem to hate it, with passion.

At least this time I'm not that attacked to the property so I can find this sort of critic reaction hilarious.

What's with the bipolar critic reaction we've been getting with some movies? Is it time for the click bait reviewer era to establish its dominance?

Edited by WhiteWings

3 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

Well, they sure are divisive.

Some critics seem to love it, and others seem to hate it, with passion.

At least this time I'm not that attacked to the property so I can find this sort of critic reaction hilarious.

What's with the bipolar critic reaction we've been getting with some movies? Is it time for the click bait reviewer era to establish its dominance?

There are plenty of borderline fresh reviews, i.e. 3/5’s.