grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

2 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Is it possible Disney rushed or wanted to make sure Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King made it to theaters right before the launch of Disney+? That’s my thinking. 

I don’t think anyone is worried about Lion King, though I do agree with the sentiment about Timon and Pumba.

Edited by Jay Beezy

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

WIl Smith is not the box office giant he once was. INHO he never really recovered from After Earth. Audinces hated the bait and switch (SMith got star billing, but had little screen time ) and hated the nepotism of Smith trying to make his kid into a big time star. We have no theard much of Jaden ever since....

It is certainly true, that said arguably no one is either, Smith opened 2 not big franchise (even one original with Hancock I think) heavy nor sequel movie to over 60m in a row without 3D in is A-day (I am legend 77m, Hancock 62m) while not being domestic heavy at all. 77m 2007 dollar is 95m 2019 dollar.

I Am legend, 7 pounds, MIB3, After Earth in a row is probably what did it, compounded effect with After earth being the cerise on the Sunday, it was already going down for is brand if he openned a 144m budget giant SCi-fi spectacle under 30m, 2008 Smith would have went over 35m no matter pretty much what with that I imagine.

The last movie he got a A- or better cinemascore and great legs was pursuit of happyness (outside Concussion), last 70% or more on RT in 1998 with Enemy of the State.

55 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also helped that the original had Robin Williams. Will Smith might be charismatic as hell but he sure as hell can't do comedy as well as Robin Wiliams. Most of the humour in Aladdin was based around Robin Williams's own skills as a comedian.

I imagine that maybe the dubbed version inspired themselve a lot from Williams (but in many language he was too fast to follow and needed quite the altered version if I remember comments from the people dubbing him in french), but that movie did monster business and was beloved by non-English speaking people all around the world.

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Blair Witch if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure they had a positive consensus up at first but I might be mistaken.

As it turns out I was thinking of Man of Steel, but after more digging it's a bit more frequent. Also happened to Tomorrowland and Hobbit 3, after their RTs kept adjusting downwards.

7 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Is it possible Disney rushed or wanted to make sure Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King made it to theaters right before the launch of Disney+? That’s my thinking. 

Not a crazy thought, considering Toy Story 4 is in there also and a documentary series will launch for Frozen 2 on it, maybe that why 2019 is so charged and 2020 feel slimmer.

Could the split on critics be ones that have seen the animated movie and those who haven't?  I mean, my youngest is so excited for Aladdin (b/c he's never seen it), while my older 3 are telling him how awful it looks (so he's outvoted, and we're not going til it's cheap or on Disney+:)...

Memories of the original could literally be the biggest factor for how you see the movie now...

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not a crazy thought, considering Toy Story 4 is in there also and a documentary series will launch for Frozen 2 on it, maybe that why 2019 is so charged and 2020 feel slimmer.

That's exactly why. There's no doubt about it.

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Could the split on critics be ones that have seen the animated movie and those who haven't?  I mean, my youngest is so excited for Aladdin (b/c he's never seen it), while my older 3 are telling him how awful it looks (so he's outvoted, and we're not going til it's cheap or on Disney+:)...

Memories of the original could literally be the biggest factor for how you see the movie now...

Why don't you just take the youngest if he really wants to see it and let the others stay home :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I Am said:

...with this insipid mess...

If you go back to the beginning, the whole staccato build up in the beginning to "The Greatest Showman" snare about a minute in is just... WTF. How can anyone seriously listen to Brad Kane's "Don't you dare close your eyes" versus Mena Massoud's and feel inspired?? And then Naomi Scott boringly blares out "A hundred thousand things to see"... Two of the best parts of the original, just flat and unflavored in this new version. The bar is in the dirt for this album, it seems.

If Disney is going to remake classics, then they need to be better than the classics, which, for all intents and purposes means they need to be perfect. If not, there's zero point.

I'm sorry that the new version of A Whole New World is not working for you. Listening to them, I think the original seems better in the context of the movie - really capturing that magical feeling, especially in the "unbelievable sight... indescribable feeling... etc" section of the song, where I think the simple instrumentation really works well. (With that being said, I haven't seen the new film to see how its version fits in the context of the scene.) However, there is much that I like about the new song compared to the original - it's the version I would listen to more on its own. I enjoy the way some of the lines later in the song have a different character to them, are less repetitive ("a whole new world..." and "that's where we'll be..." sung legato, and then "a thrilling chase and "a wondrous place" ending with "chase" and "place" in a more emphasized, staccato fashion). The version for the new film has an ever so slightly slower tempo, which I like. I also find I like the tone of Massoud's and Scott's voices better - particularly Massoud's voice. They have a fuller and warmer quality to them. 

Music is something that is always somewhat subjective, but for me, the new version does what it does well. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'm trying to remember which movie dropped so much from the time the "Critical Consensus" was posted that they had to rewrite it...

Pet Sematary and The Predator had their consensus rewritten, and I believe The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Man of Steel also had theirs rewritten.