kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

6 hours ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Johnny Depp is not a big box office draw, never has been. He had hits with Pirates as Jack Sparrow, and nothing else. Kind of like how Robert Downey Jr is the biggest movie star in the world except people only watch his Iron Man.

2010 was the "peak of Johnny Depps popularity"? Alice was coming off Depp's box office smash hit Dr Parnassus which grossed a mighty 7.7 million. Public Enemies and Sweeney Todd were both bombs as well.

What exactly was Beauty and the Beasts' "hook"? It has the same appeal as any other live action fairy tale

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Johnny Depp was popular for a while,and had several hits outside the POTC franchise, but he made a mistake in doing almost exlusiively oddball charecters, and the public got tired of the shtick except as Jack SParrow.. No doubt he is not as big now as he once was.

6 hours ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Johnny Depp is not a big box office draw, never has been. He had hits with Pirates as Jack Sparrow, and nothing else. Kind of like how Robert Downey Jr is the biggest movie star in the world except people only watch his Iron Man.

This is a bit off an exaggeration, maybe modern franchise number has maybe distorted the notion of hits among some.

Nothing else ? The guy made 3 billion dollar movie almost in a row, Alice in Wonderland was one of the biggest hits of all time, pushing that away has if it would have done nothing else would not be enough is quite harsh.

Charlie and the Chocolate factory was a giant hit, bigger than Batman Begins, #8 worldwide of 2005, Chocolat was a big hit, The Tourist was a really good hit and he was still reaching 200m with very mediocre movies.

How much do you think Black Mass do with an unknown actor in the lead role for example ?

Is world metric are off the chart

Awareness:

Depp, Johnny Australia 0.98
Depp, Johnny Brazil 0.94
Depp, Johnny France 0.98
Depp, Johnny Germany 0.99
Depp, Johnny Italy 0.97
Depp, Johnny Japan 0.95
Depp, Johnny Korea 0.496218558
Depp, Johnny Mexico 0.95
Depp, Johnny Russia 0.793517942
Depp, Johnny Spain 0.98
Depp, Johnny UK 0.98
Depp, Johnny Int'l Average 0.909976046

popularity among aware:

Australia 0.79
Brazil 0.92
France 0.65
Germany 0.8
Italy 0.88
Japan 0.59
Korea 0.211953286
Mexico 0.91
Russia 0.38494925
Spain 0.8
UK 0.82
Int'l Average 0.705172958

That is in the A+ list level, very elite, in the he was possibly in the top 5 movie star in the world at is peak type of metrics.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Aquaman is being overestimated big time. It will not make more than Justice League did, and going sub-200M is likelier than not IMO

I can see Aquaman going either way. It has one advantage over Justice League:Zack Snyder has no real involvement. It all depends on how it is received.

But Aquaman does have the popularity of Wonder Woman, and many people remember him as a rather silly DC character who became a punch line in a TV satire series about Hollywood . I know that the screen version is a much more serious, macho version but don't know if DC Marketing can overcome the problems in selling that version . What happened with JL did not help matters in that regard.

But of course the DC fans here will predict it doing gigantic numbers. They did that with JL also. Whether Aquaman turns out to be a Wonder Woman or a Justice League is up in the air.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

This is a bit off an exaggeration, maybe modern franchise number has maybe distorted the notion of hits among some.

Nothing else ? The guy made 3 billion dollar movie almost in a row, Alice in Wonderland was one of the biggest hits of all time, pushing that away has if it would have done nothing else would not be enough is quite harsh.

Charlie and the Chocolate factory was a giant hit, bigger than Batman Begins, #8 worldwide of 2005, Chocolat was a big hit, The Tourist was a really good hit and he was still reaching 200m with very mediocre movies.

How much do you think Black Mass do with an unknown actor in the lead role for example ?

Is world metric are off the chart

Awareness:

Depp, Johnny Australia 0.98
Depp, Johnny Brazil 0.94
Depp, Johnny France 0.98
Depp, Johnny Germany 0.99
Depp, Johnny Italy 0.97
Depp, Johnny Japan 0.95
Depp, Johnny Korea 0.496218558
Depp, Johnny Mexico 0.95
Depp, Johnny Russia 0.793517942
Depp, Johnny Spain 0.98
Depp, Johnny UK 0.98
Depp, Johnny Int'l Average 0.909976046

popularity among aware:

Australia 0.79
Brazil 0.92
France 0.65
Germany 0.8
Italy 0.88
Japan 0.59
Korea 0.211953286
Mexico 0.91
Russia 0.38494925
Spain 0.8
UK 0.82
Int'l Average 0.705172958

That is in the A+ list level, very elite, in the he was possibly in the top 5 movie star in the world at is peak type of metrics.

I'm sorry but I don't think people knowing his name counts for box office draw. I see little reason to suggest that you can attribute the success of Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, to Depp. 

Charlie made less than half of for example, The Jungle Book which featured 0 popular actors, and yet Charlie's success is down to having an A list star?

I stand by what I said

5 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

I see little reason to suggest that you can attribute the success of Alice in Wonderland or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, to Depp. 

It is about a pattern of is movies doing 200m WW constantly with some of them peaking (to over a billion), how does a movie like the Tourist make so much ?, it was purely Jolie/Depp being together on screen (the studio seem to have paid the pair over 100m for a reason if I am interpreting the leaked info correctly).

I'm sorry but I don't think people knowing his name counts for box office draw. 

You are right that is why I also did put the popularity among aware, the multiple of them give some idea of a drawing factor, that is what studio use at least (they tend to do it by quadrants for every name actor on a movie and by market, to have some idea).

He has a long list of movie that would not have made exactly the same if is roles was played by an unknown actor and getting the same release (and by a significant amount), thinking otherwise do seem really strange to me.

Why did Black Mass doubled Out of Furnace complete run is opening weekend ? Tourist go near 300m ? Do you think Michael Mann Blackhat do 8m dometic and less than 20m WW if it was released with a 2004 to 2010 Depp in the lead role ? Would not bring anyone more than Hemsworth ?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I sure hope there's traditionally animated segments like in the original.

There is and they showed a quick shot in the new footage.  

With that said, I thought it looked like a typical boring Rob Marshall directed movie.  It will make a ton of money, but wasn't that impressed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

is there footage that these tweets didn't like? They've been praising every single one. I remember when they were praising some shit Nutcracker and that looks garbage. But I guess praise = invitation to the next Cinemacon. 

Disney is pretty good at what they do, so it was hard to not like most of their stuff.  

Lol at your last sentence.  

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

is there footage that these tweets didn't like? They've been praising every single one. I remember when they were praising some shit Nutcracker and that looks garbage. But I guess praise = invitation to the next Cinemacon. 

Should be easy with a massive production to make a small video in the best possible environment to look good.

Imagine a big budget movie not able to do that.

LOL, they showed the old trailer during the Tonys last night. I was at a party with about thirty other theater actors/tech people in their 20s and 30s and everyone shushed each other when it came on. The poor guy throwing the party wanted to check the Cardinals score during the commercial break but he literally chose the one everyone cared about so people were screaming at him because they wanted to see Lin Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt lmao

still looks fucking great though, the imagery of Mary coming on the kite made me almost tear-up back when i got the trailer for the first time at WiT btw

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Never seen Saving Mr Banks. Maybe early December would be a good time to get on that

That movie made me see Mary Poppins from an entirely different perspective. 

Had a realized Mr. Banks was a curmudgeon of a dad for the era, yes. Had I ran the narrative through his eyes ever though and not the wonderment of the kids or Burt...no.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Never seen Saving Mr Banks. Maybe early December would be a good time to get on that

It's not all that great a movie, to be honest. Hanks and Thompson are fine, but the screenplay is not all that great.

• Sad 1