kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No it is supposed to be the TLJ of 2018. Other Christmas films are competing to be the Jumanji.

Only a SW movie can be the SW movie of Christmas. This will be a Jumanji.

Edited by DMan7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

No it is supposed to be the TLJ of 2018. Other Christmas films are competing to be the Jumanji.

TLJ and Jumanji made 1 billion domestic combined . There is enough to go around this year...This year distribution will be more spread out. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

If you ever get a chance, you guys to need to check out Saving Mr Banks. Wonder film and it will give you a different perspective on Mary Poppins. I’m surprised they made another MP film when author was adamant about another one never being made.

The PL Travers estate probably are happy to have the royalties from Disney. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hades said:

TLJ and Jumanji made 1 billion domestic combined . There is enough to go around this year...This year distribution will be more spread out. 

Exactly that’s why I predict a lot of films this December hitting $200M-$270M DOM (Poppins, Aquaman, Bumblebee, Spider-verse, Alita (if lucky)).

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Only a SW movie can be the SW movie of Christmas. This will be a Jumanji.

You don't seem to understand what a "Jumanji" is. Here is your own prediction:

27 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Hmmm, this looks like it may be the Jumanji of 2018. It will absolutely obliterate other movies around it this Christmas though.  

TLJ was supposed to "obliterate" the competition around Christmas, and it did dominate. Jumanji was the surprise hit. So MPR can't be a Jumanji since it is predicted to "obliterate other movies". Other Christmas films all hope the be the Jumanji of 2018.

• Like 2

I think someone on another thread mentioned this Christmas will be like 2011 where there's no mega monster hit, but a lot of the wealth distributed nicely. That sounds about right, only with a lot more $100M grossers than $75M grossers. This also seems like it will be the Ghost Protocol of the bunch.

• Like 3

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I think someone on another thread mentioned this Christmas will be like 2011 where there's no mega monster hit, but a lot of the wealth distributed nicely. That sounds about right, only with a lot more $100M grossers than $75M grossers. This also seems like it will be the Ghost Protocol of the bunch.

That's a good thing IMO, lots of movies doing solid business rather than one movie doing boffo business. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

You don't seem to understand what a "Jumanji" is. Here is your own prediction:

TLJ was supposed to "obliterate" the competition around Christmas, and it did dominate. Jumanji was the surprise hit. So MPR can't be a Jumanji since it is predicted to "obliterate other movies". Other Christmas films all hope the be the Jumanji of 2018.

MPR will obliterate the competition even with Jumanji numbers which is close to 1B WW. There isn't any movies that can do close to a SW movie this Christmas so the next best thing is Jumanji.

• Like 1

Dick Van Dyke still looks in great shape considering he's 92! Likewise Angela Lansbury as well.

It's interesting that Michael Banks has essentially become his father but I'm guessing that due to the death of his wife, and like the first film, he's the one that needs saving, not the children.

This is breaking out big time. It's not the type of film that appeals to people on this forum, but I expect families and older people are going to come through for this.

Plus, this will be the film to solidify Emily Blunt as a megastar. I honestly don't see this doing below $300M. And UK has a shot at $100M+ considering the source material and the star power involved.

By far the most effective trailer of the year.

• Like 1