kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

1 hour ago, Alli said:

I'm not worried. Aladdin is doing 500M. At least

It has 4 weekends to do so before TS4 opens, with Godzilla and TSLOP2 in between. 

BATB took 71 days to reach 500 with apparently no big competition (just Baby Boss on the 3rd we and FF8 on the 5th).

On the other hand, I2 took only 24 days to 500M with a harsher competition (FK on the 2nd we, and AM2 on the 4th). 

Aladdin dom. competitors seem stronger than those of BATB, but weaker than I2's. Unless it blasts with a 200M 4day opening on Memorial Day we, i don't see those 500M so easy (though I wish Aladdin made 600M or more, because it deserves it!! :D )  

edit: ops! just realized it's the MPR thread, not the Aladdin one.

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 1

I’d say Disney has perfectly scheduled their Live Action remakes thus far (especially Poppins). But Aladdin’s scheduling seems bonkers to me. Not Memorial Day weekend itself, but 10 weeks or so after another remake and 8 weeks before another. I agree that these movies should be dominating the box office, not canabalizing each other

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
On 10/20/2018 at 5:01 PM, DAJK said:

I’d say Disney has perfectly scheduled their Live Action remakes thus far (especially Poppins). But Aladdin’s scheduling seems bonkers to me. Not Memorial Day weekend itself, but 10 weeks or so after another remake and 8 weeks before another. I agree that these movies should be dominating the box office, not canabalizing each other

Given the studio's history with Memorial Day-ish openers over the last decade, the release date for Aladdin concerns me despite my absolute adoration for the original movie, Will Smith, and Guy Ritchie.

I guess something has to turn around the trend eventually, though...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Oh, Thank Fucking Christ.  She can sing.

AND LIN'S ACCENT.  I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.  SO SILLY.  (And a great tribute to Van Dyke.)

Looks like someone hasn't seen the timeless classic My Little Pony: The Movie.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, captainwondyful said:

Oh, Thank Fucking Christ.  She can sing.

AND LIN'S ACCENT.  I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.  SO SILLY.  (And a great tribute to Van Dyke.)

I think Emily Blunt showed she could sing in "Into The Woods"......

Mary Poppins Returns
Opening 3-Day Weekend Range: $30 – 50 million

All signs point to another major holiday success from Disney with this long-awaited sequel’s appeal to multiple generations of fans. Star Emily Blunt (Into the WoodsA Quiet Place) has won early praise for her faithful take on the iconic Julie Andrews character, while co-star Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) provides another marquee name for a film that is bound to capitalize on the wave of successful musicals at the box office.

Trailer reactions are enthusiastic, and early social media trends are very encouraging. Industry buzz is additionally notable after the film won over a group of exhibitors recently, with rumors bubbling that the studio could make a push for top line categories like Best Picture in the nearing Oscar race. The main question remaining at this point is if younger audiences will gravitate toward the nostalgia-driven film, or if competing films in the market will divide that key demographic.

Either way, we currently expect big results with staying power that should extend well out from the film’s Wednesday, December 19 opening.

12/19/2018 Mary Poppins Returns $40,000,000 NEW $350,000,000 NEW  

Disney

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Mary Poppins Returns
Opening 3-Day Weekend Range: $30 – 50 million

All signs point to another major holiday success from Disney with this long-awaited sequel’s appeal to multiple generations of fans. Star Emily Blunt (Into the WoodsA Quiet Place) has won early praise for her faithful take on the iconic Julie Andrews character, while co-star Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) provides another marquee name for a film that is bound to capitalize on the wave of successful musicals at the box office.

Trailer reactions are enthusiastic, and early social media trends are very encouraging. Industry buzz is additionally notable after the film won over a group of exhibitors recently, with rumors bubbling that the studio could make a push for top line categories like Best Picture in the nearing Oscar race. The main question remaining at this point is if younger audiences will gravitate toward the nostalgia-driven film, or if competing films in the market will divide that key demographic.

Either way, we currently expect big results with staying power that should extend well out from the film’s Wednesday, December 19 opening.

12/19/2018 Mary Poppins Returns $40,000,000 NEW $350,000,000 NEW  

Disney

Aquaman
Opening Weekend Range: $40 – 60 million

Bumblebee
Opening Weekend Range: $15 – 25 million

Related image

Edited by DMan7
  • ...wtf 1

December musical looking to pass the 200M mark of BR and Star is Born. 

opening on Wednesday, 2 days before pioneer Aquaman goes for 200-300 million, and 2 days before

feminist Transformers extravaganza counters everything else.  

Spidey-Verse will cause a lot of damage, Mary Poppins should nonetheless take the single ticket buyers during the Holiday.  nothing else promising awards-wise stands out.