kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

https://deadline.com/2018/10/disneys-mary-poppins-returns-wows-exhibitors-first-screening-1202482082/

They were told not to say anything, and actually had to sign non-disclosure agreements, but that hasn’t stopped a number of the nation’s exhibitors from giving opinions anyway on Disney’ big Christmas release, and perhaps Oscar hopeful, Mary Poppins Returns which had its first official reveal on Wednesday at AMC Century City Theatre while many exhibs were in town for the sixth annual NATO fall summit which just ended yesterday.

“Director Rob Marshall has created a masterpiece in updating one of the most beloved stories of all time.  It is an uplifting story and visually lush film, with happy songs,  joyous choreography and some just dazzling animated scenes.  In Mary Poppins Returns, once again Disney has made a family movie for the ages,”  said one very high up executive of a large theatre chain.

Another exec raved, “It is (in all caps) MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF THE YEAR. I grew up with Mary Poppins and love everything about the original, and the sequel absolutely met my high expectations. Loved!”

Another major name in exhibition said, “Mary Poppins Returns brings back all the wonder and magic of the original film while adding new layers in both music,songs and stunning visuals . The film is sure to be a holiday favorite , so hats off to Rob Marshall”.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Every grandmom is buying the entire family tickets to see this movie on winter break...it's the world's easiest Christmas present, and no kid or grandkid is gonna refuse grandma.  Conversely, every parent visiting grandma is gonna buy tickets to this movie as the easiest way to entertain a crowd for a day...2 hours of silence in a theater is a holiday blessing:)...

My mom is gonna love this...I appreciate the "uplifting" tone (which is gonna be a home run for that holiday) and the throwbacks...and my kids will see a movie b/c who doesn't love free popcorn (I have to show them the trailer soon, but I have no doubt my mom will buy tickets for the 15 of us - my family, my sibs' families - when we're at her house this Christmas).

Underestimate this at your peril...this is not dreary and depressing in tone like Christopher Robin seemed from the trailer...this seems magical...and magic and Christmas are two words that can't fail...

• Like 1

This is one the family and myself will be skipping in the theatre as the kids have no interest in it and my wife is indifferent, and since I didn’t like the original it’s an easy pass with all the other holiday choices. I know we’re in the minority and this is gonna make a lot of money though. Not sure how much but it will make Disney a nice profit. 

On 10/13/2018 at 11:18 PM, cax16 said:

This is one the family and myself will be skipping in the theatre as the kids have no interest in it and my wife is indifferent, and since I didn’t like the original it’s an easy pass with all the other holiday choices. I know we’re in the minority and this is gonna make a lot of money though.

thanks for your story you're so brave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:35 AM, Hades said:

Nolan and Cameron, bow down to your superior ...Rob Marshal...2 billion confirmed for this movie...:redcapes:

Not a huge Rob Marshall fan...he did one very good movie in "Chicago", and one pretty good one in "Into The Woods" (Pretty good because although I enjoyed it is does not do justice to the stage show) and have not liked any of his other post Chicago efforts, but MPR might just be a project that the could do a really good job on. Maybe lightening will strike twice.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:06 AM, Scubasteve716 said:

Looks like this will be overhyped like most of the other Disney remakes. Rob Marshall masterpiece? Give me a break 

Every early screening seems to have this reaction. Lol. That these ‘leaks’ are part of studio marketing campaigns is becoming more and more obvious. 

Wasn't there a leak saying Disney is hoping for this to be a serious awards contender months ago? If the movie really is that good, and I guess it just has to be, it would be funny to watch the implosion when either BP or this one don't get nominated for Best Picture (y'all know Academy is not nominating 2 blocbusters).

On 10/19/2018 at 2:01 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Wow, just these seconds of that song, and my skin went all crazy!! Aladdin deserves to break records at box office ... sad it's not gonna make that. Disney should have kept TLK as the big tentpole for july 2019, and Aladdin for july 2020. But with Aladdin in may 2019, it's potential is gonna be devaluated. Sad :( (Aladdin is my Disney's favorite, above TLK)

2 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Wow, just these seconds of that song, and my skin went all crazy!! Aladdin deserves to break records at box office ... sad it's not gonna make that. Disney should have kept TLK as the big tentpole for july 2019, and Aladdin for july 2020. But with Aladdin in may 2019, it's potential is gonna be devaluated. Sad :( (Aladdin is my Disney's favorite, above TLK)

They messed up big time. Aladdin remake deserved to be on BATB/TLK hype level but will just be overshadowed big time.

Of course it still can breakout and reach 600m or some crazy shit. Who even knows with Disney

8 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

They messed up big time. Aladdin remake deserved to be on BATB/TLK hype level but will just be overshadowed big time.

Of course it still can breakout and reach 600m or some crazy shit. Who even knows with Disney

or maybe Aladdin in late March-early April (with Captain Marvel in February StValentine's we) and leaving Dumbo for march/april 2020 ... and remember TS4 is in between Aladdin and TLK ... Disney is gonna make a lot of money, no doubt, but not as much as they could make with a better scheduling imo.