Plain Old Tele

THE BIG SHORT | Paramount | December 23, 2015 | Adam McKay directing | Pitt, Bale, Gosling, Carelll

The book is quite good, but the premise also makes you angry. Everyone already knows (generally) how Wall Street fucked everyone over with their subprime bullshit, but the book (and presumably the movie) makes it abundantly clear and specific. I don't expect an Oscar contender, but I do hope it's entertaining (looks like it should be).

• Like 3

I've heard that this might have a chance at acting noms and possibly screenplay. Paramount don't really have awards players this year and they are releasing this on a really packed day.

It is weird. I think it could make money, but, as mentioned, the Oscar potential doesn't really seem there. Paramount has no idea what they're doing this year. Hope they don't mess up Anomalisa.

The book is quite good, but the premise also makes you angry. Everyone already knows (generally) how Wall Street fucked everyone over with their subprime bullshit, but the book (and presumably the movie) makes it abundantly clear and specific. I don't expect an Oscar contender, but I do hope it's entertaining (looks like it should be).

Michael Lewis' books are always good, wonder if Flashboys will be adapted for a movie?

Actually, after watching the trailer I could see this at least be in the conversation for a couple Oscars.

This'll close out AFI and barring press screenings are during the weekend, I should be there. I am more excited about By the Sea, though.

Concussion will probably get a gal and I am hoping some kind of combination of Joy, The Revenant and Hateful Eight get secret screenings.

• Like 1

Michael Lewis' books are always good, wonder if Flashboys will be adapted for a movie?

It's in development with Scott Rudin:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/14458-flash-boys-scott-rudin-producing-adapted-from-the-michael-lewis-book-sorkin-in-talks-to-write

Edited by Telemachos

But yeah, the movie looks pretty good. Bit like a low-rent WOWS (which is odd since the cast in this is way more star-studded)

I get the impression this will burrow a lot deeper into the mechanics of financial fraud. Wolf was never too interested in that (probably to its benefit).