kayumanggi

UNDERWATER | Fox | 10 JAN 2020 | William Eubank to direct

29 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's been about 30 years since we had a Leviathan/Deep Star Six kind of film.  I'm there opening night.

How'd I know you'd get my reference and comparison movie I listed earlier?  😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TLK said:

True but it is also true that it hasn't been business as usual at Fox movies for the past 12-18 months and practically every one of their release this year has either been sitting on shelf or has been pushed back at least once.

The fact they dont see enough value here to release this thing in any other month but January should tell you all you need to know.

I'd say that Crawl was dumped too (remember no press screening) but ended up with positive reviews and decent boxoffice. Would have made 40M+ if it didn't get its theater count slashed due to overcrowded last 2 weeks. so Underwater could be decent. Sometimes studios have no confidence in decent movies and overconfidence in trash.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 6:16 PM, DAJK said:

Well at least we all know what's going to be 2020's best movie for like a week :lol: 

Watch, this movie's going to come out of nowhere and get decent reviews, making this comment actually un-ironic haha!

In all honesty, not counting on it though.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 7:35 PM, Yandereprime101189 said:

Kinda mildly hope this actually makes a solid opening, but I just don't see it.

I feel like it could benefit from the other wide debut - Like a Boss - being so unappealing. 

Then again, the wide expansion of 1917 is probably going to kill both. I'm kind of intrigued though. I may see it on Tuesday after the OW.

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

I don’t get Rotten Tomatoes sometimes, this has 2 reviews that rate it 2.5/4 yet one is fresh and the other is rotten.

The critic sets the Fresh / Rotten score when they submit their review to RT. So in this case it's just down to different critics treating a numerical score differently in meaning.  

I read the negative 2.5/4 review and it's clearly very negative about the film. I can't read the positive one as Chicago Tribune is blocked in europe, but I'd assume it is a vaguely positive review.

I mean just look in this forum's Review subforum and the scores. A movie with votes in the "C" score, some of those will be people who enjoyed it and some will be people who did not enjoy it.

People treat scores differently.

Edited by Avatree