Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, James said:

In what world are Marvel and DC in Top 3 biggest franchises ahead of HP.....??? 

In the world that they dominate our forums and nobody seems to want to shut up about them in weekend threads.

13 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Dr. Strange will be lucky to make half of what SS made domestically.

Ant-man made more than half of what SS has made or will make domestically and outside of that movie, every Marvel Studios movie since 2014's Guardians of the Galaxy has grossed more domestically. Given Marvel's track record, it sure as hell will have better reviews ... granted that isn't saying much.

15 hours ago, DMan7 said:

Strange does indeed have a decent shot at 1B WW.

Yeah, the same chances Ant-Man and GOTG had.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Ant-Man and loved GOTG, but they are the baseline for this one's BO. It'll fall somewhere in between their numbers WW.

• Like 2

Dr Strange is probably going to make more than Ant-Man, but 1 billon WW looks really far away.

If we follow most Superhero movies, the maximum box office WW is around 700million-800millon, best case scenario

The only exceptions are Batman movies (because Batman), and Avenger kinda movies (1,2 and Civil War). You can match there Iron Man3, but Strange don't have such a huge popularity right now

Edited by Gustavo

2 minutes ago, BKB LOVES HILLARY said:

Not sure how this is true and MARVEL/DISNEY have made a shit ton of $$$$$$ off of their movies that's made the folks at WB/DC Blush over it out of jealousy..

Pssst:

pJgt4zW.gif

(Pablo Hidalgo is a member of the Lucasfilm Story Group.  And a very sarcastic one at that ;))

• Like 7

16 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Can the MCU survive the loss of RDJ/Iron Man ?

All the B$ MCU movies are with him.

He is like the ultimate Golden goose & the father of the whole thing.

Probably depend upon casting.   There should be a curiosity factor with RDJ's replacement.   If he doesn't have charisma or does a take on the character that turns people off, it could be a big blow.   Marvel has been nailing casting though.   I remember thinking how impossible it was to cast Capt America (young, but with the gravitas to make me believe IM and Thor would follow him)  and they owned that one.    Just don't go stunt casting with a "name" or anything.

4 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

My goal for Dr.Strange is essentially what I was aiming for with Thor Dark World: $200m domestic

I feel a bit stronger about Dr.Strange than I did Ant-Man(which still beat my expectations).

That just seems optimistic to me.   150m seems like a good goal.   He is just as unknown as Ant-Man, but less "fun".   I have a perception that "fun" gets people to go back for repeat viewings more often.

Edited by Harpospoke

I agree Dr.Strange is just as unknown as Ant-Man was, or GotG for that matter, but Ant-Man also had Paul Rudd vs Chris Pratt as a lead. Both were more fun and adventurous, which the trailers sold while Strange thus far looks to be more serious yet trippy. 

Am I being optimistic, sure, but I don't think $200m is crazy, unreasonable, out of the question optimistic either. Especially given the MCU's track record and steady audience turnout. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BKB LOVES HILLARY said:

Not sure how this is true and MARVEL/DISNEY have made a shit ton of $$$$$$ off of their movies that's made the folks at WB/DC Blush over it out of jealousy..

forgetting Harry Potter, GoT, LotR. DC's first 3 movies made over 2 BILLION dollars.

I swear to god your postings here gets more :rofl: by every new post you make

5 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

I agree Dr.Strange is just as unknown as Ant-Man was, or GotG for that matter, but Ant-Man also had Paul Rudd vs Chris Pratt as a lead. Both were more fun and adventurous, which the trailers sold while Strange thus far looks to be more serious yet trippy. 

Am I being optimistic, sure, but I don't think $200m is crazy, unreasonable, out of the question optimistic either. Especially given the MCU's track record and steady audience turnout. 

From the people who have watched the 7 min preview at Comic-Con and the Philippines have said, Cumberbatch definitely brings gravitas and great dry wit to the role. Also the visuals will definitely be a selling point. The concept art was insane.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I didn't like Cumberbatch's gravitas for Sauron in Hobbitses.

Neither did I. Doctor Strange however seems like Cumberbatch will not follow in the Hobbit's footsteps. Even Derrickson said the thing the few guests who have seen the movie thus far loved Cumberbatch's performance as Strange.

4 hours ago, Haley Ross said:

Neither did I. Doctor Strange however seems like Cumberbatch will not follow in the Hobbit's footsteps. Even Derrickson said the thing the few guests who have seen the movie thus far loved Cumberbatch's performance as Strange.

No! The director said that people who had seen his film loved it? What are the odds?

• Like 1