Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

31 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kramer vs Kramer was the highest grossing movie of 1979 but the modern day Kramer vs Kramer isn't even getting a proper theatrical release. If that doesn't prove Scorsese's point, I don't know what does.

Also r/marvelstudios is actually taking it well. They actually seem to understand that Scorsese's frustration has to do with the capitalistic part of the industry (almost all of it) that marginalised films that deserve to do better.

I agree that they do. However just because capitalism fucked him over, he should avoid shitting on others. Westerns are gone as well. 

23 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

People want to watch smaller films but want to for a much cheaper price on VOD at home or for free (illegally). 

The issue is people these days wont spend 20 bucks to see Endgame and then 20 dollars to see some smaller film.

That is why Disney dominates so much as they realize a lot of people only watch 3-4 movies a year in theaters and they capitalize off those people. 

Fact of the matter this is true. Hell I regretted seeing Lion King in theaters to be honest.  I do see usually 2-3 independent films a year but thats it. Probably 8-10 regular films a year

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also the idea that people don't want to watch smaller films is dumb. I just watched Sorry to Bother You (watched this last year too and was the best theatrical experience ever)  with a bunch of (non-film aficionado) friends last Friday and they all loved/enjoyed it but they didn't even know the film existed. Completely anecdotal example but it shows that people can enjoy something even as bizarre as that if they are exposed to it. Smaller movies can make money but they are pushed away for big budget blockbusters.

Look at something like Whiplash, which became a huge cult hit even though it barely made any money, most of my friends who watch three movies a year loved it but they didn't see it until it was on their laptops like three years later

Cult following films have existed forever. Usually films that didn't have enough juice to get people to pay at the theaters but were fun to watch. 

I am zero percent ashamed to admit Starship Troopers falls into that category for me.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kramer vs Kramer was the highest grossing movie of 1979 but the modern day Kramer vs Kramer isn't even getting a proper theatrical release. If that doesn't prove Scorsese's point, I don't know what does.

Also r/marvelstudios is actually taking it well. They actually seem to understand that Scorsese's frustration has to do with the capitalistic part of the industry (almost all of it) that marginalised films that deserve to do better.

Then why not make this the focus and drop this delusional idea that he gets to decide what cinema is? Just makes him sound like a bitter old man.  

3 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Then why not make this the focus and drop this delusional idea that he gets to decide what cinema is? Just makes him sound like a bitter old man.  

Except he isn't saying he decides what cinema is. He's just voicing his opinion. Cinema is something different to different people. He's only frustrated by Marvel because of the space they take in today's industry. As he says, he wouldn't care if it weren't for those underlying problems.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Except he isn't saying he decides what cinema is. He's just voicing his opinion. Cinema is something different to different people. He's only frustrated by blockbuster movies  because of the space they take in today's industry. As he says, he wouldn't care if it weren't for those underlying problems.

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Except he isn't saying he decides what cinema is. He's just voicing his opinion. Cinema is something different to different people. He's only frustrated by Marvel because of the space they take in today's industry. As he says, he wouldn't care if it weren't for those underlying problems.

Except that's what he's been saying since the start. Focusing so much on one property or trying to dismiss a certain genre just because it happens to be the most successful doesn't help his argument in any way. It won't change a thing. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 1

As I said the Death of Iron Man in Endgame  or Wolverine in Logan are likely some of the most deeply impactful deaths on audiences in modern movies in a while...

just because it did not happen in a standalone film does not mean it was not good cinema lol... 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Domestically, American Sniper won 2014 over a YA sequel (talk about a genre that was dominant but quickly died off) and movie from the dreaded MCU.

Many prestige Netflix movies are shopped to other studios that would give them a traditional theatrical release window, before choosing the $$$ and going with the streamer. And Kramer vs Kramer captured something in the zeitgeist at the time about divorce and the changing roles of women that resonated in the broader culture. If it had been a fictionalized account of a less-than-mainstream auteur's split from his actress wife, who knows it would have clicked with the public in the same way? The "Kramer vs Kramer of today" would probably be about an entirely different thing, like college loan debt or bots or something.

If the MCU suddenly went away, streaming services and HD televisions and peak TV would still be around, so how much would really change about moviegoing habits? It's simply a different day than the 1970s or 1990s, which themselves were different from the 1930s (there's a Depression on, people want escapism but what about this production code) and 1950s (oh no, everyone's watching TV, let's change the screen ratio and make a bunch of lavish musicals and epics, but also Westerns). The "problem" of the MCU for other filmmakers is that every studio is chasing franchise money and barely wants to be bothered with anything that's not an established IP/entity. Well, unless it's cheap horror and I don't see Marty going Blumhouse on us any time soon. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I haven't managed to sit through a Scorsese film yet, so I think we just have different tastes, lol.  Glad to see more options for entertainment, but it is a business, ultimately, before it is an Art Form or whatever.   Marvel can dry their tears with all their billions.

44 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If you are truly a film nerd / film buff, you will know how much Scorsese and Coppola earned their place in cinematic history to voice their opinion no matter how you disagree with them. 

Marvel fanboys will never understand .. 

Being an arrogant , patronizing & condescendant lefty that is supposedly on team working class  because Marxism & oppression ! that spits on the face of the working class cultural tastes.

I understand perfectly what these people are saying.

Stan Lee was terrified to go at New York parties in the 70's and 80's because of people like Scorcese and Coppola.

Stan Lee would lie on what he did for a living.

Who are the tolerant and open minded people in this story ?

I will let you be the judge.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If you are truly a film nerd / film buff, you will know how much Scorsese and Coppola earned their place in cinematic history to voice their opinion no matter how you disagree with them. 

Marvel fanboys will never understand .. 

i have yet to understand, how all this became for mcu exclusively,when we all know that he meant blockbuster movies in general

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Bob Iger is cringe

why? in my point of view, he meant that marvel movies and blockbuster movies in general,like them or not , they are still cinema, people put the sole into this movies and work their ass off, and thats true regardless of i or you feel about them, feige or the guys at pixar doesnt care any less about their movies ,they care as much as martin does with his movies