Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

51 minutes ago, Kalo said:

That's how I feel, I've read some comics I really like, but I don't like starting in the middle of the series and feel like I'd be completely lost. although aside from Daredevil and maybe Hawkeye I am not really interested in Marvel comics. 

Tell me about it. Even series that really shouldn't have that problem get fucked over by the way Marvel/DC run their comics.

For example, I got advised to start reading Ms Marvel (the Kamala Khan one) because a friend told me it was really good and didn't require too much knowledge of the wider Marvel continuity. So I did and it was great fun and I really enjoyed it. Riiiiight up until the moment the entire universe reset out of nowhere towards the end of Volume 4 because there was a wider Marvel Crisis Crossover going on that was affecting every comic in their line. When it came back lots of tiny shit had changed out of nowhere which I assume was explained in the crossover, but came out of nowhere for anyone who didn't read said crossover. How can anybody produce a goddamn satisfying story when everything might be unearthed without any notice to make way for a new shitty crossover event?

That's why the whole 'diversity isn't selling' bullshit pisses me off. The reason your comics aren't selling, Marvel, is because your business model is a fucking mess.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MattW said:

https://youtu.be/eX_iASz1Si8?t=117  <---  superman didn't know the effect kryptonite had on him right there, which means he was fine killing batman with that punch.

False Equivalence. You can't assume Superman didn't know that Batman's mech suit wouldn't soften the blow.

If he wanted to kill him, heat vision him and you're done. A punching match is just a fight.

• Like 1

It's weird how people still miss the fact that Superman wasn't really trying to kill Batman and that Batman himself was slightly(?) suicidal during most of the movie.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rukaio101 said:

Tell me about it. Even series that really shouldn't have that problem get fucked over by the way Marvel/DC run their comics.

For example, I got advised to start reading Ms Marvel (the Kamala Khan one) because a friend told me it was really good and didn't require too much knowledge of the wider Marvel continuity. So I did and it was great fun and I really enjoyed it. Riiiiight up until the moment the entire universe reset out of nowhere towards the end of Volume 4 because there was a wider Marvel Crisis Crossover going on that was affecting every comic in their line. When it came back lots of tiny shit had changed out of nowhere which I assume was explained in the crossover, but came out of nowhere for anyone who didn't read said crossover. How can anybody produce a goddamn satisfying story when everything might be unearthed without any notice to make way for a new shitty crossover event?

That's why the whole 'diversity isn't selling' bullshit pisses me off. The reason your comics aren't selling, Marvel, is because your business model is a fucking mess.

Yeah, I really feel like making the separate character comics, more self-contained would benefit them greatly, I know I read the Aquaman new 52 it is was pretty self contained and a really good story, that's kind of why I usually go for smaller more disconnected Superheroes. well expect Superman becuase he's my fav, but I mostly read his older more iconic stories. 

Edited by Kalo

Why are we still arguing over superman trying to kill batman or vice versa when we should be focusing our combined efforts in how the hell there is near HD quality from a random light post on a random road in the 1980's or early 90's but in the year 2016 we have one camera with grainy footage around a UN embassy. I NEED ANSWERS

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theStun said:

Why are we still arguing over superman trying to kill batman or vice versa when we should be focusing our combined efforts in how the hell there is near HD quality from a random light post on a random road in the 1980's or early 90's but in the year 2016 we have one camera with grainy footage around a UN embassy. I NEED ANSWERS

DAMN!!

9 hours ago, theStun said:

2Q==

HD is a biiiiiit of a stretch.

• Like 4

There are some incredibly talented video editors on Youtube who should be working for Hollywood

This guy is one of the best though. Like he's insanely good. it's amazing how he can completely change the tone of these iconic franchises and still make it work.

The Star Wars trilogy re imagined as the Suicide Squad trailer

The Spider-Man trilogy re imagined as the Deadpool trailer

The Dark Knight trilogy re imagined as the Kick Ass trailer

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy re imagined as the Suicide Squad trailer (Bohemian Rhapsody Version)

The Force Awakens re imagined as the Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer

The Avengers re imagined as the Watchmen trailer

I wasn't sure where to post but thought I'd share since I think fans of all franchises will appreciate these if they haven't seen them. They definitely made me smile.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Royce said:

uhh i didn't know where to post this but has this been talked about yet?

C-RwQOsUwAAwaqX.jpg

Kind of a bummer that they moved Indy 5 to 2020 (I wanted to see that in 2019 alongside all the other monsters slated for that year), but oh well, all for the better when you think about it. I do. Especially if no SW Anthology film is announced for that year (are they REALLY not gonna give in to the absurd demand for Obi-Wan?) - that'd be a nice alternative for the presumably yearly Lucasfilm production. Also sad about Gigantic's big delay.

Regardless, Disney's slates are just batshit insane.

2018 - You got three 400M+ locks in Han Solo, Infinity War and The Incredibles 2, two other 300M likeabilities in Mulan and Black Panther, and a few 200M+ possibilities in Wreck-It Ralph 2, Ant-Man 2, Mary Poppins Returns and the August live-action remake (which I presume may be Dumbo or Cruella... assuming it's even happening on that date now because of the WGA strike). Wrinkle In Time and Magic Camp are question marks.

2019 - Two juggernauts in Star Wars IX and The Lion King; three other potential megahits in Avengers 4, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2; and then everything else for good measure. Funny that 2019 sees all of Disney's brands have their flagship franchises represented (Lucasfilm - Star Wars; Marvel - Avengers; Pixar - Toy Story; WDAS - Frozen; WDP/AS remakes - The Lion King), and I think those five alone will drive Disney to a record shattering year.

2020 - We don't know much yet, but Indy 5 and the inevitable Guardians Vol. 3 alone are already good enough reasons to shit your pants a little bit. Gigantic should also be big enough, if they really sell it as the offspring of Frozen's team meets Jack and the Beanstalk. And the Pete Docter Pixar movie should too sell used condoms, if Inside Out is anything to go by.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Kind of a bummer that they moved Indy 5 to 2020 (I wanted to see that in 2019 alongside all the other monsters slated for that year), but oh well, all for the better when you think about it. I do. Especially if no SW Anthology film is announced for that year (are they REALLY not gonna give in to the absurd demand for Obi-Wan?) - that'd be a nice alternative for the presumably yearly Lucasfilm production. Also sad about Gigantic's big delay.

Regardless, Disney's slates are just batshit insane.

2018 - You got three 400M+ locks in Han Solo, Infinity War and The Incredibles 2, two other 300M likeabilities in Mulan and Black Panther, and a few 200M+ possibilities in Wreck-It Ralph 2, Ant-Man 2, Mary Poppins Returns and the August live-action remake (which I presume may be Dumbo or Cruella... assuming it's even happening on that date now because of the WGA strike). Wrinkle In Time and Magic Camp are question marks.

2019 - Two juggernauts in Star Wars IX and The Lion King; three other potential megahits in Avengers 4, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2; and then everything else for good measure. Funny that 2019 sees all of Disney's brands have their flagship franchises represented (Lucasfilm - Star Wars; Marvel - Avengers; Pixar - Toy Story; WDAS - Frozen; WDP/AS remakes - The Lion King), and I think those five alone will drive Disney to a record shattering year.

2020 - We don't know much yet, but Indy 5 and the inevitable Guardians Vol. 3 alone are already good enough reasons to shit your pants a little bit. Gigantic should also be big enough, if they really sell it as the offspring of Frozen's team meets Jack and the Beanstalk. And the Pete Docter Pixar movie should too sell used condoms, if Inside Out is anything to go by.

Actually Lucasfilm are doing a SW 2020 release they just don't want to announce until they have a title until the Summer.

Edited by YourMother

6 hours ago, somebody85 said:

There are some incredibly talented video editors on Youtube who should be working for Hollywood

This guy is one of the best though. Like he's insanely good. it's amazing how he can completely change the tone of these iconic franchises and still make it work.

The Star Wars trilogy re imagined as the Suicide Squad trailer

That's hilarious when the Emperor is talking about how Luke will join them...then it cuts to "whiny Luke".... and back to the Emperor with a grimace of disgust on his face.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Kalo said:

......but I don't like starting in the middle of the series and feel like I'd be completely lost.

This line of thinking is ONE of the problems. 

The Big 2, Marvel especially, started getting wind of this. A "starting point" and began doing the whole cancel/reboot/renumber thing with their titles about 15 years ago.

A title would run for 3-5yrs then start over. That window of time was reduced about 8yrs ago and a title ran for 2-3yrs, even their "flagship" books. They would use some wide line event about every 18-24months as reason to Restart everything at #1....cause some of you need a "clear" starting point. When really a fair number of books would continue with the same creative team. Jason Aaron's Thor, Allred's Silver Surfer or Waid on DD to name a few off the top of my head where they really kept telling stories tied back to a prior volume. At the least seeds of character development were there. 

All this renumbering has fractured the readership. It's more clear than ever that buying monthly is about the worst financial investment for your comic entertainment dollar. Wait for the trade and it reduces keeping all these reboots and flood of #1s straight a necessity.

I started every book on every character I had an interest in when the titles were in the hundreds: Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Hulk etc etc etc

I jumped in, found $.50 back issue books or just figured it out as I went. Never whining about "jumping in at the middle". These characters don't have a middle cause they are never going to have an end. 

Marvel & DC will be needing to decide just what periodical publishing of titles looks like going forward. The death of the monthly floppy may not be immediate but it is coming.

The floppy will be a niche as a vinyl record. Sure some still want them but they aren't the main medium of choice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

That's hilarious when the Emperor is talking about how Luke will join them...then it cuts to "whiny Luke".... and back to the Emperor with a grimace of disgust on his face.

Yeah man, that was one of my favorite parts too! The Emperors face was perfect. Awesome editing.

• Like 2

Seen a few articles floating around the last few days that Marvel Phase 4 could look like something new. Not resemble what has come before and what not. Largely Feige's own words but with a caveat that they still don't wholly know themselves. Which is fine cause that's still a little ways out yet but we know that whatever "Phase 4" looks like it's going to have carryovers: GotG vol. 3, Dr. Strange 2, Black Panther 2 and perhaps an Ant-Man 3 as well as a Captain Marvel 2. So if all those happen I just don't see how the next batch of films is really "All new All Different".

As time marches on this August will give us 2 years since the last botched Fantastic Four film by Fox, leaving, allegedly, 3 years before it falls back to Marvel/Disney. 

I'm hoping the "look different" part of what Feige is speaking to is them leaving creative development room to work the FF into the MCU proper by 2022/2023 and have the FF be the backbone of the next wave of films much like the Avengers was for the first three. Fox has really committed to their X-Men universe (3 new films for 2018 announced, Legion on TV) and they failed the FF franchise creatively. Surely they are willing to let it go at this point. Putting up the same possible hot air they put up when Daredevil was falling back to Marvel. 

Fantastic Four back at Marvel Studios for "Phase 4" that is my call on what the "things could look different" might mean. 

• Like 1

Phase 4 should ideally not build to anything.  Just do stand-alone movies that at most set up future films in those particular franchises.

(But Phase 9 in 2047 will feature full-on serialization, with Kevin Feige Jr. helming the 10-part MCU extravaganza Age of Infinity Wars released over three years -- all ending on giant cliffhangers, of course -- bringing back the likes of RDJ, Evans, and Hemsworth to reprise their most famous roles that they haven't played in decades.)

• Like 1

Some constructive criticism from Pratt on the DCEU.

I really like all the Warner Bros. movies, I think they’re really cool and I’m not a real tough critic on those movies. But one of the flaws might have been they were introducing too many characters in Suicide Squad. They spent 10 minutes telling us why should we care about these characters, rather than creating trilogies for each character and convincing us to care about the characters.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guardians_of_the_galaxy/vol_2/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-star-chris-pratt-offers-a-fair-criticism-of-suicide-squad-dc-films-in-general-a150599

• Like 1