Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

18 hours ago, Alli said:

MCU made a huge mistake in relegating their female characters in basically all their movies to side/bit parts.

I would LOVE if Marvel Comics/Marvel Studios/Marvel Entertainment pulled a Superhero Girls-like thing on us.

They do have amazing female characters that they sadly ignore. I am not just talking about the ones we might all know (like She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, and Storm).

I am talking about awesome [forgotten/almost forgotten] heroines/villainesses like Firebird, Silverclaw, Monica Rambeau, Echo, Talisman, Aurora, Thundra, Marrina, Sersi, Snowbird, Tigra, Meggan, Clea, Moondragon, Sabra, Frankie Raye, Songbird, Jolt, Moonstone, Superia, Knockout, Asp, Diamondback, Madame Masque, Archlight, Sunpyre, Surge, Armor, Dust, and many many others...

It would thrill me to no end to see all of them immortalized in something lik what DC is doing with SHGs...

Wouldn't that be awesome, @Spidey Freak? :D 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2017 at 6:53 AM, Cochofles said:

I would LOVE if Marvel Comics/Marvel Studios/Marvel Entertainment pulled a Superhero Girls-like thing on us.

They do have amazing female characters that they sadly ignore. I am not just talking about the ones we might all know (like She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, and Storm).

I am talking about awesome [forgotten/almost forgotten] heroines/villainesses like Firebird, Silverclaw, Monica Rambeau, Echo, Talisman, Aurora, Thundra, Marrina, Sersi, Snowbird, Tigra, Meggan, Clea, Moondragon, Sabra, Frankie Raye, Songbird, Jolt, Moonstone, Superia, Knockout, Asp, Diamondback, Madame Masque, Archlight, Sunpyre, Surge, Armor, Dust, and many many others...

It would thrill me to no end to see all of them immortalized in something lik what DC is doing with SHGs...

Wouldn't that be awesome, @Spidey Freak? :D 

A-Force is such a freaking corny name. Better than Gotham City Sirens but way worse than Birds of Prey or even Justice League Dark. But the concept is quite cool and I'd be very much down for that:

A-Force-1-capa9.jpg

An all-female team consisting of Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Armor (Pepper Potts), Jessica Jones and hopefully She-Hulk and an youngster like Ms. Marvel could be amazing. 

Meanwhile, in what is the latest fuck up in the Marvel Comics universe:

Captain America’s transformation to villain (including a muted green-and-yellow uniform) and back to goodness (and his classic red, white and blue costume) involves cosmic shenanigans better left to the comic book pages to explain. A more easily understood moment is (spoiler alert) seeing the Marvel heroes, drawn by Steve McNiven, no longer at odds with one another, but standing tall, united and smiling.

29marvel-item1-blog427.jpg

29marvel-item3-master675.jpg

Words cannot explain how much I hate Marvel Comics right now, with the exception of Amazing Spider-Man and very few comics, like @TwoMisfits said earlier on the thread. To give you an idea: you think that I'm a DCEU hater previously to the Wonder Woman film? Well, let me tell you. I don't hate the DCEU previous to Wonder Woman. I think it's possible to save it, I think it's possible to fix it. Wonder Woman was a major step in that direction, and I feel that if Geoff Johns is able to consolidate himself as the Kevin Feige of the DCEU with Justice League, even greater things might be coming our way. Do you wanna know what I hate tho? Marvel Comics right now and its current administration. From Ike Perlmutter to Jeph Loeb, Axel Alonso and Brian Michael Bendis. I fucking hate them all.

BTW, TwoMisfits and everyone else: there are a few hidden gems within Marvel Comics right now that I feel that deserve more love, I'd point out: Tom King's Vision, Dan Slott's and the Allreds Silver Surfer and Chelsea Cain's Mockingbird as the best Marvel Comics have to offer right now. Unfortunately, other than Slott's Amazing Spider-Man, literally ALL the comics I've listed here have been cancelled, while abominations like Nazi Cap (in the year that Jack Kirby would be 100 years old, mind you) get green lighted. A Kevin Feige intervention in the comics side of Marvel is my fever wet dream right now. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Ike Perlmutter is still working with the Marvel brand??? He sould stay away from it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH

So, @iJackSparrow....whatever happened with Nazi Cap? Was it an alternate dimension? A android? An evil twin??

The usual bullshit. Nazi Cap wasn't really Nazi Cap, just a gimmick via Cosmic Cube - which they swear it wouldn't be the resolution they'd have - that literally tarnished Cap's image and all the good will that Marvel Studios did for the character throughout all these years. Marvel Comics right now is at its worst and most shameful creative point that I've seen in my entire life. This is worst than 90s big guns comics. Hell, I'd take THIS over what is happening with Marvel Comics right now any day of the week:

CaptainAmericaRobLiefeld.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

The usual bullshit. Nazi Cap wasn't really Nazi Cap, just a gimmick via Cosmic Cube - which they swear it wouldn't be the resolution they'd have - that literally tarnished Cap's image and all the good will that Marvel Studios did for the character throughout all these years. Marvel Comics right now is at its worst and most shameful creative point that I've seen in my entire life. This is worst than 90s big guns comics. Hell, I'd take THIS over what is happening with Marvel Comics right now any day of the week:

CaptainAmericaRobLiefeld.jpg

How do those things work when it comes to synergy between the movies and the comics?

For example, if the movies portray Cap and Wonder Woman as paragons of virtue that everyone loves, why would the comics put forth a Nazi Cap (or say, a bitchy, blood-thirsty Diana)?

That does not make any sense to me...

Edited by Cochofles

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

How do those things work when it comes to synergy between the movies and the comics?

For example, if the movies portray Cap and Wonder Woman as paragons of virtue that everyone loves, why would the comics put forth a Nazi Cap (or say, a bitchy, blood-thirsty Diana)?

That does not make any sense to me...

I suspect that at this point either Alonso is auto sabotaging Marvel Comics or Ike is sabotaging Marvel. You don't turn Cap into a nazi in the same freaking month that his highest grossing and highest reviewed film gets out with him playing the kind of straight hero that Diana, Clark and Steve play that somehow works within our contemporary world. Cap and Diana go truly against the idea that superheroes need to be "edgy" to be considered cool. 

• Like 3

@ChipMunky:

On 29/04/2017 at 3:38 AM, iJackSparrow said:

I think reviews for this will be GREAT. I have a very strong feeling this will be the first DCEU film that will reach beyond hardcore fanboys, so my early predictions for its box office run at the moment:

Previews Thursday: $21m 

Friday: $45m 

Saturday: $39m

Sunday: $33m

I expect some frontloadness in the preview numbers because superhero fans are eager for a good DCEU film and a good Wonder Woman film. I also expect reviews to be great, ranging around 75%-85% score on RT, so that will definitely help with its box office run. I don't think The Mummy will steal Wonder Woman's thunder at all, so it'll be a relatively easy road for Wonder Woman until Transformers comes around, and even that I don't think will have too much of a bad effect. I see this having a stronger multiplier than Man of Steel, so from a 138m OW I can see this having between a 2.4 to 2.6 multiplier, between 331m to $358m domestically. I basically see Wonder Woman topping at the very least BvS for bigger box office grossing film among the DCEU films (domestically). 

This is what I've said back in April. Not saying that I was with the majority opinion, but I think it goes without saying that people never believed that Mummy, TF or any other of the June releases posed a real threat to Wonder Woman's box office run. What I mean by this is that it's obvious that just like The Avengers, Wonder Woman has heaven sent out of this world WOM, and just like The Avengers the film benefitted from weak releases tanking. You can't really separate Wonder Woman's word of mouth also having an effect on other films tanking like grim22 said it, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a factor. A box office run like Wonder Woman and The Avengers is the converging of several factors that form a perfect storm. So regardless of you saying that it's hindsight viewing of the situation, I fail to see on the June releases any film that we could possibly be "scared" for Wonder Woman's run. I'd argue that among these years blockbusters, these are the films "best positioned" this year:

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (for obvious reasons)

2. Wonder Woman (The greatest threat in hindsight would probably be GotG Vol. 2, because of its release three weeks earlier, but I'd argue that it's a better spot than one week later and having just one month before Spider-Man: Homecoming. It's great position because it went against films that couldn't possibly be considered a threat to Wonder Woman even if they didn't have written bomb all over)

2. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (traditional beginning of the Summer MCU related release date, what makes it worse than WW is just the fact that unlike WW, the direct competition would come just three weeks after its release)

3. Spider-Man: Homecoming (good traditional Spider-Man release date, great for kids and obviously benefical to the film's run, but it suffered from going two obvious well reviewed films that regardless if it wouldn't at first take theaters from Homecoming, they would definitely take a big chunk of screens, especially because of WB's IMAX deal: going against Apes and Dunkirk was truly what cut Homecoming's run short of reaching around $350-$370m)

4. Thor: Ragnarok (even worse than Homecoming's situation, but maybe not as bad as Justice League's. Why? If the film is as good as it's shaping up, it's bound to go at least close to $300m dom, and that's more than all the other Thor films did)

5. Justice League (That's definitely the worst spot among them all. Why? TLJ, crowded awards/holidays season that even if Justice League is great, it'll definitely cut its run short. I'd argue that if Justice League dos $350m+- from domestic with the film being good and well reviewed, it would probably get to $400m in a better release spot. If it reached $400m, it definitely could have reached $500m+ if the release spot was better)

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

@ChipMunky:

This is what I've said back in April. Not saying that I was with the majority opinion, but I think it goes without saying that people never believed that Mummy, TF or any other of the June releases posed a real threat to Wonder Woman's box office run. What I mean by this is that it's obvious that just like The Avengers, Wonder Woman has heaven sent out of this world WOM, and just like The Avengers the film benefitted from weak releases tanking. You can't really separate Wonder Woman's word of mouth also having an effect on other films tanking like grim22 said it, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a factor. A box office run like Wonder Woman and The Avengers is the converging of several factors that form a perfect storm. So regardless of you saying that it's hindsight viewing of the situation, I fail to see on the June releases any film that we could possibly be "scared" for Wonder Woman's run. I'd argue that among these years blockbusters, these are the films "best positioned" this year:

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (for obvious reasons)

2. Wonder Woman (The greatest threat in hindsight would probably be GotG Vol. 2, because of its release three weeks earlier, but I'd argue that it's a better spot than one week later and having just one month before Spider-Man: Homecoming. It's great position because it went against films that couldn't possibly be considered a threat to Wonder Woman even if they didn't have written bomb all over)

2. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (traditional beginning of the Summer MCU related release date, what makes it worse than WW is just the fact that unlike WW, the direct competition would come just three weeks after its release)

3. Spider-Man: Homecoming (good traditional Spider-Man release date, great for kids and obviously benefical to the film's run, but it suffered from going two obvious well reviewed films that regardless if it wouldn't at first take theaters from Homecoming, they would definitely take a big chunk of screens, especially because of WB's IMAX deal: going against Apes and Dunkirk was truly what cut Homecoming's run short of reaching around $350-$370m)

4. Thor: Ragnarok (even worse than Homecoming's situation, but maybe not as bad as Justice League's. Why? If the film is as good as it's shaping up, it's bound to go at least close to $300m dom, and that's more than all the other Thor films did)

5. Justice League (That's definitely the worst spot among them all. Why? TLJ, crowded awards/holidays season that even if Justice League is great, it'll definitely cut its run short. I'd argue that if Justice League dos $350m+- from domestic with the film being good and well reviewed, it would probably get to $400m in a better release spot. If it reached $400m, it definitely could have reached $500m+ if the release spot was better)

That was....

A mouthful. 

Actually I think Man of Steel overperformed a bit. It had average reviews, Its yet another Superman reboot so no novelty there, Its following an underperforming Superman returns, came out a week before Monster Uni and World War Z. It had no business opening to over 100 million  IMO.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Inhumans are trash. Lmao at thinking they can replace the X-Men 

That's Perlmutter and Marvel Entertainment's dumb logic. So glad Marvel Studios and Feige gave them the middle finger. 

@EmpireCity

None of this makes any sense.  The competition wasn't weak after the fact, it was weak upon release.  It got screens back because everything was poorly reviewed and tanked hard.  

Wonder Woman being a huge success didn't cause pretty much all of those movies to have dogshit reviews.  No critic said, "that Wonder Woman is great so I am going to give The Mummy a score leading to 16% positive reviews".  

Look at all the movies 2 weeks prior and 3 weeks after.  They were almost universally terribly reviewed or too small to matter.  Baywatch, Pirates, The Mummy, All Eyez, Cars 3, Rough Night, Transformers and others all poorly reviewed.  They burned out because they sucked, not because a successful movie had anything to do with it.  

It was weak after the fact. Leading into the summer, WW was stuck in the middle of a ton of films. Most of which people thought would probably not be that great, but would do decent numbers. More than enough to dent Wonder Woman and keep it from $300+ mil.

Low and behold, after summer started, and WW was released and into it's run it was clear that wasn't the case. Please don't put stupid shit into my mouth.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hades said:

Actually I think Man of Steel overperformed a bit. It had average reviews, Its yet another Superman reboot so no novelty there, Its following an underperforming Superman returns, came out a week before Monster Uni and World War Z. It had no business opening to over 100 million  IMO.  

It really benefited from the superheroes craze and for some reason becoming popular again (big bang theory, Social media Internet?)

A lot of the progression is probably due to how big franchise opening weekend became in general, specially for the Star wars / YA / Super heroes type of stuff, superman progression was above average but not by a strange amount considering is genre and the marketing push.

Franchise Circa 2006 Circa 2013 Jump
Batman 48.75 160.8 230%
Star wars 108 248 130%
Superman 52.5 116.6 122%
James Bond 40.8 88 116%
Harry Potter 102.6 169.1 65%
Pixar 60.11 82.2 37%
King Kong 50 61 22%
Mission impossible 47.7 55.5 16%
Average 63.8075 122.65 92%

opening weekend of Franchise movie with both had a release around 2006 and 2013 used for that comparison.

Superman

52.5m (2006) -> 116.6m (2013)

Star wars

108m (2005) ->248m (2015)

Batman

48.75 (2005) -> 160.8 (2012)

King Kong 

50 (2005) -> 61 (2017)

Harry Potter

102.6 (2005) -> 169.1m (2011)

James Bond

40.8m (2006) -> 88m (2012)

Mission Impossible

47.7 (2006) ->55.5 (2015)

Pixar

60.11 (Cars in 2006) -> 82.2 (Monster university in 2013)

20 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

It was weak after the fact. Leading into the summer, WW was stuck in the middle of a ton of films. Most of which people thought would probably not be that great, but would do decent numbers. More than enough to dent Wonder Woman and keep it from $300+ mil.

Low and behold, after summer started, and WW was released and into it's run it was clear that wasn't the case. Please don't put stupid shit into my mouth.

Again, this doesn't make any sense.  Those movies were weak immediately upon release.  They were terribly reviewed. It helped Wonder Woman that nearly everything around it ended up being dogshit.  It had a direct effect to help the numbers go higher.  

Let's say that The Mummy was a 90% positive reviewed film that opened to $60m+, then it would have held onto more screens and likely costs Wonder Woman a screen at larger complexes or affected the house placement.  It moves it from a 400 seat house to a 250 seat house.  Smaller house, less screen space, less showtimes equal less $$$$.

This isn't some controversial thought and doesn't discount anything about Wonder Woman.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

It was weak after the fact.

And ? Not sure how would that matter, can you explain the precision you are making.

Take January of this year, Live by Night/The Funder/Gold/Silence/A monster Call/Patriot Day/Collateral Beauty/Assassin Creed/etc.. were know to be weak relatively close to their respective release and not 6 month in advance, Monster Truck was know to be weak months in advance. Does the amount of time it took to be known they were under-performer change anything on the impact they had on the late December release/January release ?

If 4 or more of those movie end up connecting with audience, some of those Hidden Figures/Passengers/Sing/Rogue One/Fences legs would have suffered.

If you are saying that studios didn't know when they scheduled them they will end up being bad movies nor people when they predicted box office, well sure but that is not what EmpireCity is talking about.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1