Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Regarding Watchmen, I do enjoy the film. But it's flawed as all kind of fucks. And while I can see how someone that never read the graphic novel might think it's a masterpiece, it's very much like V For Vendetta for me: good if you can enjoy it on its own without thinking about the source material. Compared to the source though, it's a very poor translation and most of all one that get stuff from the graphic novel fundamentally wrong. I like this takeaway of that film, one by a non-fan of the source material:

I think that honestly Watchmen just isn't a filmable story. The fact that the film even exists and it's somewhat good is a great testament on how insanely brilliant that story is more so than being Snyder's greatest achievement. I don't have much hopes for the HBO series, but I think that Patton Oswalt out of all people has the right idea about this:

Rather than being so slavish to the source material, the best solution now is to adapt it. Or not adapt it at all, I honestly think that unlike most of comic books, Watchmen is a graphic novel that simply works better as a graphic novel, and one of the best literary pieces of the 20th century to boot. 

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Liked,overall MOS

Disliked BvS

Didliked Watchmen

Sort of liked 300

Liked DOTD

Avoided Sucker Punch after the reviews.

I make no secret that I am not exactly Zack Snyder's biggest fan, but to each his own....

Find Sucker Punch. Watch it on the biggest TV you can find with the loudest possible volume you can get away with. Experience the torture.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Regarding Watchmen, I do enjoy the film. But it's flawed as all kind of fucks. And while I can see how someone that never read the graphic novel might think it's a masterpiece, it's very much like V For Vendetta for me: good if you can enjoy it on its own without thinking about the source material. Compared to the source though, it's a very poor translation and most of all one that get stuff from the graphic novel fundamentally wrong. I like this takeaway of that film, one by a non-fan of the source material:

I think that honestly Watchmen just isn't a filmable story. The fact that the film even exists and it's somewhat good is a great testament on how insanely brilliant that story is more so than being Snyder's greatest achievement. I don't have much hopes for the HBO series, but I think that Patton Oswalt out of all people has the right idea about this:

Rather than being so slavish to the source material, the best solution now is to adapt it. Or not adapt it at all, I honestly think that unlike most of comic books, Watchmen is a graphic novel that simply works better as a graphic novel, and one of the best literary pieces of the 20th century to boot. 

Problem with Watchmen is that Snyder was slavish to the material as far as the plot goes, but just totally blew it when it came to the characters.

The worst was Oznymandus. In the novel, you actually think he is one of the good guys until the reveal at the end, which creates a genuine shock and horror in the reader. By making him so obviously a villain in the film, Snyder threw that away for no good reason.

And though she looks the part, the actress who played Silk Spectre 2 just plain old could not act very well.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem with Watchmen is that Snyder was slavish to the material as far as the plot goes, but just totally blew it when it came to the characters.

The worst was Oznymandus. In the novel, you actually think he is one of the good guys until the reveal at the end, which creates a genuine shock and horror in the reader. By making him so obviously a villain in the film, Snyder threw that away for no good reason.

And though she looks the part, the actress who played Silk Spectre 2 just plain old could not act very well.

Agreed. Visually it's shock full of great ideas. Very poor on execution. 

7 hours ago, AJG said:

Fun

Dawn: B

300: B-

Watchmen: C

MOS: C

BVS: D

Sucker Punch: Godfuckingawful

Dawn of the Dead: B

300: B+

Watchmen: A+

MoS: D-

BvS: F

6 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Since Watchmen is tied for my #1 spot in CB films, this doesn't make me want to read the book.   I would change very little in the movie  (maybe lose the sex scene).   So anything different in the book is probably going to be a change I don't like.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Well he wasn't obviously the villain at the end at all so maybe Snyder did it backward from the book.    If the book makes him the bad guy at the end then the movie was an improvement.

• Like 1

Yeah, Watchmen is not really about good guys and bad guys. Simply put, it's a "what if?" superheroes existed in the real world, and if superheroes did exist in the world, then who would control THEM as they control us normal people ("who watches the Watchmen?"). What if we let them loose and unrestricted, can that represent too much power even for people that we are supposed to trust (like the government in our contemporary world)? I think the movie depicted those themes pretty decently. Yeah sure, it's flawed, but I came away happy with what I saw. I only read snippets of the novel, but I know those are Watchmen's themes just out of plenty of prior research. And c'mon, Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach... awesome.

Anyway, how about we shift the conversation from Snyder a little bit, and talk about the God that has created the top superhero movie of all time and some other great movies too. That of course is NOOOOLAN:

Inception: A+ (okay, maybe not technically as the movie isn't without flaw, but certainly in my heart it is an A+)

Memento: A+

The Dark Knight: A+

The Prestige: A

Batman Begins: A-

Interstellar: B+

Insomnia: B+ (so fucking underrated)

Following: B

The Dark Knight Rises: C+

I haven't seen Dunkirk yet. I know, I'm a sad person.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Inception: A+

The Dark Knight: A+

Dunkirk: A/A+ depending on mood

Memento: A

Batman Begins: A

The Prestige: A-

Interstellar: B+

The Dark Knight Rises: B+

Following: B

Have not seen Insomnia yet.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, the best ranking of them all: