Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

9 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Having never seen the movie. The original wasn't very good, in my opinion, so...

MoS was The worst, if just for the complete misunderstanding of its main hero.

Personally I cant wait for Zack Snyder’s dark, violent and gritty reboot of the PowerPuff Girls

56c502fcfbd80fb1b393bf377fc3fce1--disney

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Having never seen the movie. The original wasn't very good, in my opinion, so...

MoS was The worst, if just for the complete misunderstanding of its main hero.

Reimagining is not the same as misunderstanding.

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Reimagining is not the same as misunderstanding.

Your right, I'm wrong. You've truly convinced me my long held belief by using such a gripping and compelling argument that one of my favorite comic characters wasn't completely butchered by an edge brood dark creator. He was just "reimagined".

• Like 1

Watchmen is a 'good movie' in the same way that the BATB remake is a 'good movie'. It so slavishly tries to replicate the original source material beat-for-beat that it's only natural that at least some of the original's quality will leak through. But it also loses a fair bit in translation as a result and Snyder wasn't a good enough storyteller to fill those gaps. Plus his overdramatic Frank-Miller-esque slow-mo directorial style was a reaaally poor fit and kinda actively worked against the original's themes.

That said, it's still significantly better than MoS and BvS, both of which were disasters on nearly every storytelling level.

• Like 1

Watchmen feels like a dissertation from a 17yo on superhero movies.

A bit too post-modern for its own good.

I Like the movie very much though but yeah there are no superheroes to be seen in this story and probably none either in the original comics.

Edited by The Futurist

Well, Watchmen the movie is what you get when you take a dystopic book written by Alan Moore as a scathing commentary on the fascistic nature of the superhero concept put in a Cold War context, entrusting its adaptation by a guy that has an extolling hard-on on vigilante concept, Ayn Rand, NRA and Second Amendment. Yeah, it was bound to feel dissonant from the material especially if you're adamant to copy/paste the comics panels as a movie storyboard.

Yeah, Snyder's Watchmen is "interesting" like John Milius adapting a Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel or Frank Miller's take on James Baldwin's works.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I was vaguely impressed with WATCHMEN (the movie) until I read the book. Then I realized the visuals had been directly lifted and the characters misconstrued: it felt like the exact thing the GN critiqued. 

This. I was a fan of the Alan Moore novel before seeing the movie, and I was really disappointed about how the filmmakers just did not get the characters.

I don't blame Alan Moore for not liking the film very much.

12 hours ago, eddyxx said:

If you ignore the comic, Watchmen is a masterpiece. It's only seen negatively when compared to what it changed from the comic.

Do people compare Fight Club and Gone Girl to the books they're based on? Those are amazing films too and I'm  sure they changed alot.

Luckily I never read the comic.  

I was planning to, but all the things I heard Watchmen fans complaining about sounded silly to me.   They wanted a giant squid at the end?   They wanted the characters to just be normal people in costumes? (except for Dr Manhattan)

I like the movie ending just like it was and of course it made more sense that the characters would have superior strength and/or speed to normal people.

Reminds me of how Lord of the Rings book fans were complaining about changes the movies made.   Everything they brought up sounded like a terrible idea so I didn't bother with the books.

5 hours ago, AJG said:

Personally I cant wait for Zack Snyder’s dark, violent and gritty reboot of the PowerPuff Girls

56c502fcfbd80fb1b393bf377fc3fce1--disney

And of course PowerPuff fans would be accused of "not getting it" when they complained about that version.

WHen people brag about not reading books, I fear for the future of mankind.

4 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Luckily I never read the comic.  

I was planning to, but all the things I heard Watchmen fans complaining about sounded silly to me.   They wanted a giant squid at the end?   They wanted the characters to just be normal people in costumes? (except for Dr Manhattan)

I like the movie ending just like it was and of course it made more sense that the characters would have superior strength and/or speed to normal people.

Reminds me of how Lord of the Rings book fans were complaining about changes the movies made.   Everything they brought up sounded like a terrible idea so I didn't bother with the books.

And of course PowerPuff fans would be accused of "not getting it" when they complained about that version.

Anybody who compares a  book and movie without having read the books is somebody whose opinions are pretty much worthless.

And that people seem to be proud about not reading books makes me fear for the future of mankind.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

WHen people brag about not reading books, I fear for the future of mankind.

Anybody who compares a  book and movie without having read the books is somebody whose opinions are pretty much worthless.

And that people seem to be proud about not reading books makes me fear for the future of mankind.

I'm actually the biggest book worm in the world.  (reading 2 at the moment)   So you missed on that one.

And I wasn't bragging about it, I was explaining how the book fans made me not want to read them. (similar to how a book review works)  So you missed on that one too.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I liked both the comic version of Watchmen and the movie is pretty good as well, I do think the change the film made to the ending worked better than the comic version which would have looked a bit silly on screen.

I think the "squid" wouldn't have as worked as well either. In the comics it sorta just came out of nowhere, and was a random monster. The ending of the film actually makes more sense, even if the squid was more "visually striking", in terms of art.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think the "squid" wouldn't have as worked as well either. In the comics it sorta just came out of nowhere, and was a random monster. The ending of the film actually makes more sense, even if the squid was more "visually striking", in terms of art.

I didn't mind the changing of the ending in the film,it was the misinterpretation of the charecters that turned me off.

I agree with Alan Moore that the way they handled Rosharch was particularly disturbing:In the book he is portrayed as a borderline psychotic;in the film he is a hero which warps the whole concept of Alan Moore. Moore's world is much more complex then the one presented in the film.