Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

I don't understand fanboy wars. If you are a MCU fan you should root for DCEU so that Marvel Studios makes more good movies. 

If you are DCEU fans you will root for MCU so that superheros stay relevant. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I have no idea why altright trolls love James Cameron. He's not sexist racist and pushes for equality all the time. Snyder make sense. Cameron not so much.

Because they saw Alita as a way to take down Captain Marvel. That simple.

13 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I don't understand fanboy wars. If you are a MCU fan you should root for DCEU so that Marvel Studios makes more good movies. 

You can't expect a rational explanation for the irrational,but I think online fandom has become as much about sticking it to the member of the Other Tribe as about anything else.

And I am not a big fan of blindly rooting for your side, either. If Marvel or DC makes good films they deserved to be praised, if bad films they deserve to be criticized regardless of labels. I think supporting a bad film just because it is made by Your Side is dumb.does nothing but encourages more bad films.

I an a big SF 49ers fan, but can admit they have sucked badly the last couple of years.

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Come on.

I love me some Avatar, but it was full of elements that, nowadays, are often mocked and demonized (by certain people) as "SJW crap" and "PC crap."

There is nothing wrong with social justice, by the way. My opinion...

The problem is that Cameron was so ham handed in getting his political opinions across. He basically hit the audience over the head with them. A lot of critics who pretty much share Camron's politics did not like being hit over the head with.

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I care little about the term SJW. What depresses me is seeing millions advocating the use of the word deplorable....

Me, not a native English speaker, still learning:

Do you mean you do not like it is used to paint people engaging for others as ~ negatively or....?

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Because they saw Alita as a way to take down Captain Marvel. That simple.

I think they got egged on by ppl who have learned how to egg on people to further their own goals.

General:

goals as in sometimes only for feeling as a person of impact or to further someone POVs, their political, religious,... whatever *team'

• Community Manager
31 minutes ago, Matthew said:

'Cause lots of users for some reason go to the internet with an agenda that they must fight for the franchise they like even though it's all really dumb and childish. 

This thread though is for them so they don't derail and kill as many threads. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The problem is that Cameron was so ham handed in getting his political opinions across. He basically hit the audience over the head with them. A lot of critics who pretty much share Camron's politics did not like being hit over the head with.

Hmmm, do not follow that line of thought

38 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Rational thoughts are not allowed in this thread. How rude!

43 minutes ago, Matthew said:

yes yes yes yes YES YES YEEEEEESSSSS

46 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Holy shit, a rational thought in the franchise wars thread.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I care little about the term SJW. What depresses me is seeing millions advocating the use of the word deplorable....

The funny thing is, Super Heroes are SJWs.

• Like 1

Made the mistake of opening this thread, but...

3 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I don't understand why so many uber-Cameron fans hate being lumped with the whole "SJW" label.  Imagine if Avatar not been directed by Cameron and it had been released in 2019! I bet it would totally face the wrath of certain vocal internet dwellers who would dismiss it for being "too feminist (OMG! the woman, not the male hero, killed the villain!!!), too save-the-environment, too on the nose in its Native American-are-saints-and-white-people-are-evil-colonizers analogy,, too much SJW PC crap" etc...

I'm actually old enough to remember the mocking/backlash Avatar got in many quarters.  It was absolutely blasted/mocked as being too PC at the time.  The Dances With Wolves comparisons didn't originate with South Park after all.  The exact same type of people who moan nowadays about SJWs and the like were the exact same type of people moaning about Avatar back in the day.

On the other hand, and most importantly:

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Counterpoint: there are 2.7 billion reasons why that "problem" didn't really matter.

Tele is exactly right here.  All the mocking, whining, and memeing mattered for EXACTLY jack and squat when all was said and done.  

A lesson to be reflected on, perhaps.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The Dances With Wolves comparisons

Never understood those.

Out of the situation of the male lead: one at the end, no respect by anyone before and for a time later, the other a respected hero, who got to be a hero for complete other reasons. And into the new situations for complete other reasons.

Early has the respect of the new contacts too

= they came from different streets, shared a short piece/leg of street and went on different streets away to their varying destinations.

If people reduce a story to a matchstick man, another matchstick man might look similar at a first glance.

• Like 1