Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

On 4/2/2019 at 8:37 PM, LordNox said:

Can you explain how a low budget anti abortion movie can outsell a superhero blockbuster days before release?

First, that anti-movie got lots of 'complete churches' sales. Will be biggish for the week

Second, said SH might have a bit of problem per not all people are aware about the actual release date

Third, as also a SH, might have gone drown a but per the start of pre-sale of Endgame

Fourth, there is a possibility per the age of the lead at the starting point being a 14y old, it might get seen as a family movie means maybe more walk-ups.

Fifth, if seen as a young audience family movie, some parents might have been surprised by some age recommendations and the reasons for it

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The movie was scheduled to be released on April 5 long before CM and Endgame were scheduled for their respective dates. 

MCU movies have been know to pick earliest May and an additional even earlier date in Feb / March up to 2022 since some years. No matter the exact dates, to place a SH between those two dates was probably not the best of ideas might work for a long waited for by the broad masses character to a degree, but even then not without damage

8 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

February 15, honestly.  It would've been better to get ahead of the CM/EG vortex.

Maybe, I am not sure about school holidays,... 

8 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I mean, Endgame wasn't scheduled to be released at the end of April until they released the teaser at the end of last year. It was originally going to be released at the beginning of May. 

:bash:

I understand the idea of 1 week more breathing room, but with a probable overlap in audience, and not only being before a huge release, but also after another one is not the same as usual, when its only the release date near to one other title. And in case of before a huge release, then 3 weeks seem not good, as GA only goes ~ 4 times a year into cinemas, they spend the money per pre-ordering first, then might look into additional spending.

Lots of people seem to underestimate the effort it takes for a family to see a movie.

Families with more than 1 child tend to live not near the centres - travelling time, parking space search... maybe a baby-sitter for the kids not old enough, not quiet enough, not interested enough into a certain material. Or binging the kids to the grandparents or....

With a few siblings too under the arm / not patiently awaiting till they are there, it costs lots of energy. And money. How fast an forgotten soccer practise,.... kills all planing? Hence walk-ups. And decide not to go if certain check points seem not match with expectaions.

And doing the 'work' to get a family to a cinema mostly for movies they really want to see on the big screen.

Some movies ppl deem good, but not worthy the hassle they'll wait till HV.

Edited by terrestrial

Shazam is just DC continuing the trend of first taking a step forward and then backwards once again. DC struggles with making several hits in a row, instead they fluctuate from success to underperformers all the time.

So Shazam even though it got great reviews is a massive step backwards for DC, it ends the momentum Aquaman built up and shows that DC can't easily do what Marvel does all the time by introducing unknown characters and make them popular. Shazam was supposed to be a new hit superhero for DC, but the response to the character is way off from the general public.

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

MCU movies have been know to pick earliest May and an additional even earlier date in Feb / March up to 2022 since some years. No matter the exact dates, to place a SH between those two dates was probably not the best of ideas might work for a long waited for by the broad masses character to a degree, but even then not without damage

Maybe, I am not sure about school holidays,... 

Actually, at the time that Shazam! was scheduled to be released on April 5 2019 (2014), Marvel had only been releasing two movies a year. They hadn’t yet begun releasing movies in February/March. Hell, CM was originally scheduled to be released in July 2018, while BP was scheduled for November 2017. 

39 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Shazam was supposed to be a new hit

That is a question of POV.

If they thought it will be hit comparable to e.g. Aquaman....

Lets start with that:

As Shazam got green-lit, the didn't knew how big Aquaman will be.

If they thought in similar numbers as they probably expected from Aquaman beforehand.... they would have spend more money on Shazam!

If I remember it right, Shazam! got around the half of what Aquaman, a characater already introduced, got. A lot of people complain about not enough marketing and also about the quality of the marketing (like quality in general, and how well it introduces the movie with accurate expectations)

Shazam! in my POV is not a full 4 quadrant movie even if aimed at families too. E.g. the teenage girls and female YA I know show no interest at all, but families with boys, or families with children of both genders will watch it, if inclined, like last time we watched a movie your sister liked, which one do you want to watch this time....

I think its again about expectation and to what compare it too to see if its a hot or not.

R-rated example: 

Logan's budget was ~ 15% higher than Shazam!s budget.

Logan is a fairly good introduced character, but has the difficulty of being an r-rated movie

Shazam! might not reel in the females as much

Logan made ww $619m with an exceptional WoM

I am pretty sure the most here will agree it was a big hit, review and BO wise

So what will be a hit for Shazam! with a less big budget, no introduction beforehand, no direct connection to anything established, ....?

Expectations.... as always lie in the eye of the beholder. But what if the expectations start out with wrong markers?

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Actually, at the time that Shazam! was scheduled to be released on April 5 2019 (2014), Marvel had only been releasing two movies a year. They hadn’t yet begun releasing movies in February/March. Hell, CM was originally scheduled to be released in July 2018, while BP was scheduled for November 2017. 

Look into the release schedule already known for the future, not only in the schedule at the time actual. Movies do not start to get made in the same year they get released

It was then already clear (especially as the insiders knew and know longer than GA) that the MCU will get an increase. 

edit: yes the dates got moved, btw then not for the first time, but other dates were there also

Edited by terrestrial

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

That is a question of POV.

If they thought it will be hit comparable to e.g. Aquaman....

Lets start with that:

As Shazam got green-lit, the didn't knew how big Aquaman will be.

If they thought in similar numbers as they probably expected from Aquaman beforehand.... they would have spend more money on Shazam!

If I remember it right, Shazam! got around the half of what Aquaman, a characater already introduced, got. A lot of people complain about not enough marketing and also about the quality of the marketing (like quality in general, and how well it introduces the movie with accurate expectations)

Shazam! in my POV is not a full 4 quadrant movie even if aimed at families too. E.g. the teenage girls and female YA I know show no interest at all, but families with boys, or families with children of both genders will watch it, if inclined, like last time we watched a movie your sister liked, which one do you want to watch this time....

I think its again about expectation and to what compare it too to see if its a hot or not.

R-rated example: 

Logan's budget was ~ 15% higher than Shazam!s budget.

Logan is a fairly good introduced character, but has the difficulty of being an r-rated movie

Shazam! might not reel in the females as much

Logan made ww $619m with an exceptional WoM

I am pretty sure the most here will agree it was a big hit, review and BO wise

So what will be a hit for Shazam! with a less big budget, no introduction beforehand, no direct connection to anything established, ....?

Expectations.... as always lie in the eye of the beholder. But what if the expectations start out with wrong markers?

I think WB expected a bit more from Shazam. Right now it seems that the best Shazam can hope for is a very small profit. And the reaction from Asia means that it may not be worth it for WB to get a sequel because the fastest growing market is rejecting the movie.

I don't see any other option but for WB to have the rock as Black Adam directly for the possible sequel. His star power may be the only thing that can propel Shazam to greater hights. 

Edited by LordNox
  • Knock It Off 1

38 minutes ago, Matthew said:

People are crying like Shazam is a flop or disaster. 

Calm down, weekend ain't over yet. 

Hasn't even really started. Easily could do what early tracking said. Sure that's not awesome but not terrible either. Imo hoping for 50+ still.

Edited by cdsacken

By Christian Holub
April 05, 2019 at 01:08 PM EDT

Moviestore/REX/Shutterstock

In case you haven’t heard, this year marks Batman’s 80th birthday. DC Comics recently celebrated the Dark Knight’s big day with the jam-packed anniversary comic issue Detective Comics #1000 (read an exclusive excerpt here), but the party doesn’t end there. After eight decades Batman exists in other media platforms as well, and movie theaters are celebrating the big year by bringing Batman films back to theaters for limited engagements.

Christopher Nolan‘s Dark Knight trilogy has already hit the road on an IMAX theater tour, and soon Fathom Events will be bringing the preceding live-action Batman films back to theaters as well. That’s right: Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin are all playing in theaters for one night only next month.

Tim Burton‘s 1989 Batman will play in theaters on Saturday, May 4 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. local time. Batman Returns returns on Monday, May 6 at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tim Burton left the franchise after that (though he recently reunited with his old Batman and Penguin actors, Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito, in the new Dumbo remake), but Joel Schumacher’s two installments are also part of this package. Batman Forever will screen on Sunday, May 12 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m., while the much-maligned Batman & Robin will hit theaters on Tuesday, May 14 at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Tickets are available now at Fathom Events’ website or participating theater box offices.

Related content:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/05/batman-80th-birthday-celebration-movies-rerelease/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LordNox said:

I think WB expected a bit more from Shazam. Right now it seems that the best Shazam can hope for is a very small profit. And the reaction from Asia means that it may not be worth it for WB to get a sequel because the fastest growing market is rejecting the movie.

I don't see any other option but for WB to have the rock as Black Adam directly for the possible sequel. His star power may be the only thing that can propel Shazam to greater hights. 

where do you even come up with this :hahaha:

Why the Matrix is never mentioned in the funny book discussions.

20 years ago ...

It did everything before anyone else.

Before Matrix, you had Blade, the 4 Superman and 4 Batman and Marvel was about to start.

First great superhero landing pose (maybe Superman/Batman had a few can't remember).

It adapted manga tropes and Honk Kong action before Howlllood executives knew what they were.

And Neo was a textbook superhero.

And it talked about philosophy and the Gafams.

Visionary.

Just now, TMP said:

DCEU ranked:

Shazam (A)

Wonder Woman (A-)

Aquaman (C)

Man of Steel (C-)

Justice League (D-)

BvS (D-)

Suicide Suqad (F)

There is no DCEU anymore FYI.

It died with the League.

36 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

20 years ago ...

Before Matrix, you had Blade, the 4 Superman and 4 Batman and Marvel was about to start.

First great superhero landing pose (maybe Superman/Batman had a few can't remember).

It adapted manga tropes and Honk Kong action before Howlllood executives knew what they were.

Visionary.

Before 1999 and the same year the supposed death of funny book movies happened you had this:

Image result for men in black

and pic-related is why you don't remember this is actually the start of the MARVEL Renaissance.

Edited by 2kt09
typo

I saw Shazam last night.

Grade: C+

It is going to be forgettable. I'm likely to see it one more time when it hits Netflix just to see if after a few months it has held or hurt itself given the space of time.

The positives are the actor playing Freddie shines in and steals nearly every scene he is in. The final act is fun but the build up to it drags at times. 

Hoping Hellboy next week is better. 

53 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

20 years ago ...

Visionary.

What? Superman 1974 and Batman 89 were the first comic book blockbuster hits.

10 minutes ago, LordNox said:

What? Superman 1974 and Batman 89 were the first comic book blockbuster hits.

70s - Superman 1974

80s - Batman 1989

90s - Men in Black

2000s - The Dark Knight

2010s - Avengers Infinity War

Reeves's Batman movie to break the next record? I doubt it.