WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg14): Martian 11.4 | Goosebumps 10.21 | Spies 8.06 | Burnt 5.04 | Crisis 3.43 | Scouts 1.77

2 minutes ago, Tau Ceti said:

I'd still call Room a disappointment so far. Whiplash finished with $13 mil which isn't exactly a high bar. Given Room won People's Choice in Toronto and the hype over the lead performance I was really looking forward to a solid run.

Room is about an extremely difficult and unsettling topic and Brie Larson still isn't a household name yet. It's doing fine.

• Like 1

Room should in theory be a much more audience friendly movie than Whiplash. I mean, the story is really ripped from the headlines and hot. It's emotional without being brutally hard to watch. There's a cute kid in it. All these things make it much more marketable than a movie about a drummer and his abusive teacher. 

Edited by moviesRus

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Room is about an extremely difficult and unsettling topic and Brie Larson still isn't a household name yet. It's doing fine.

The movie is not at all 'hard to watch' in any sense. Plus, the trailers already give away the fact that they made it out and survived the ordeal. It's being marketed much more as an inspirational story than some kind of brutal/violent drama. 

• Community Manager

It's a really bad week at the box office, one of the worst in the last 20 years.

I wonder if you took the pre-sale numbers from Star Wars and added it to the weekend (and last weekend as well), how the box office numbers would look then? [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Room should in theory be a much more audience friendly movie than Whiplash. I mean, the story is really ripped from the headlines and hot. It's emotional without being super brutally hard to watch. There's a cute kid in it. All these things make it much more marketable than a movie about a drummer and his abusive teacher. 

I fail to see how the story of a captured woman and her child, who is a product of rape during her years in captivity, coming to terms with their new reality once they're freed is any more "marketable" and "audience friendly", but to each their own.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I fail to see how the story of a captured woman and her child, who is a product of rape during her years in captivity, coming to terms with their new reality once they're freed is any more "marketable" and "audience friendly", but to each their own.

The novel is extremely popular. The subject matter didn't stop the book from being a huge hit, even if it didn't reach Gone Girl level, it's pretty big among suburban mom types. I saw the movie with a packed audience, and people were not squirming or groaning uncomfortably as if this was 12 years a slave. They responded well to it and aww'd over the cute kid. 

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Sure. It's not a mainstream GA movie. Most of the people who were going to see it probably already saw it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Doesn't matter that it doesn't appeal to GA. Adult-oriented dramas don't necessarily do well, but they don't usually have legs like that. 64% without a theater drop means people must have hated it. Sicario recently opened to similar numbers and dropped 37% second weekend. Social Network opened much higher but still only dropped 31%, and although I haven't seen Jobs I would assume they are similar films.

Yet I can't see many negative reviews/comments from audiences about the movie?

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Considering both the property and Jack Black are long removed from their primes, Goosebumps is doing quite well actually.

The problem is that it has 0 appeal OS. It has bombed everywhere it opened so far and most places will only receive it in February of next year and until then many of them will end up cancelling the movie's theatrical release.

49 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The problem is that it has 0 appeal OS. It has bombed everywhere it opened so far and most places will only receive it in February of next year and until then many of them will end up cancelling the movie's theatrical release.

Should do around 80 DOM, so it only needs to do 30m or so OS to be ok. Home video will make up for whatever small loss they may take from the box office. Sequel is up in the air, but I'd guess could happen with a 15m-ish smaller price tag. 

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lmao at all 5 of last week's openers dropping 56-79% this weekend. Maybe one of this week's crop can go over 80% next weekend. At least all this bombage is making an otherwise completely uninteresting October box office mildly interesting. 

Boy Scouts could be a contender.  Which by the way thank you America

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

What on God's green earth is going on with Steve Jobs. I wonder if those dumb complaints about it not being wholly accurate turned people away. 

It's such a great movie, so it's a damn shame.

People clearly don't care one iota about watching a movie about Steve Jobs. What else can it be at this point? 

But yeah, pretty shocking it may end up a mere  2m or so ahead of Jobs in the end. 

Edited by MovieMan89