WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

7 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Here's the Coldplay song from Catching Fire, not bad but also not really mainstream in any way:

Thanks for posting a link to it. Not a fan of Coldplay myself, and like most of their songs, it makes me feel sleepy.

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

As opposed to Gravity?

Yes as opposed to Gravity. That whole film had a very suspenseful tone, with even elements of horror. The marketing for Gravity alone was some of the most nerve wracking trailers I can think of. There was a real sense of danger in the first half of the film at the very least. Opposed to The Martian, whose marketing literally gave the outcome away as clearly as day. I mean the goddamn tagline is "Bring Him Home." Could they have made it any more obvious this was supposed to be a feel good celebratory film? Well, they could've given the whole movie a humorous tone I suppose in spite of the supposedly insurmountable odds they wanted us to think he faced...

Oh wait.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

TDK was the only film that (some) fanboys thought deserved a best picture nomination since ROTK.

Avatar got a nomination mostly because they happened to expand the number of best pic noms to ten that year.

FTFY -_-

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes as opposed to Gravity. That whole film had a very suspenseful tone, with even elements of horror. The marketing for Gravity alone was some of the most nerve wracking trailers I can think of. There was a real sense of danger in the first half of the film at the very least. Opposed to The Martian, whose marketing literally gave the outcome away as clearly as day. I mean the goddamn tagline is "Bring Him Home." Could they have made it any more obvious this was supposed to be a feel good celebratory film? Well, they could've given the whole movie a humorous tone I suppose in spite of the supposedly insurmountable odds they wanted us to think he faced...

Oh wait.

Gravity is little more than just a 90 minute technical showcase, The Martian has a much smarter and dynamic script.  The lead performance was much better too.

Looking forward to haters on the sidelines runnin they moth when its nominated for the big categories BP, BD, Screenplay(which Gravity wasn't nominated for), Editing, and Actor.  It has a better chance at actually winning than Gravity ever did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Oh, Martian is getting the Gravity treatment already? Inevitable, I suppose

Hardly. Gravity is an innovative and nearly perfect film that faced one of the worst uncalled for backlashes on the internet that I have ever seen. Opposed to the utterly basic competence of every aspect of The Martian that people seem to think is worthy of BP for some reason. I guess more people prefer par for the course opposed to a hole in one. Shame. 

• Like 6

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It's been happening more and more, come Oscar season it's just going to get worse.

Eh... It depends. If it doesn't get Oscar norms the it deserves Oscars crew is going to be out in full force. If it does get recognition then the other squad will be doing all the talking

8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Gravity is little more than just a 90 minute technical showcase, The Martian has a much smarter and dynamic script.  The lead performance was much better too.

Looking forward to haters on the sidelines runnin they moth when its nominated for the big categories BP, BD, Screenplay(which Gravity wasn't nominated for), Editing, and Actor.  It has a better chance at actually winning than Gravity ever did.

Lmao anytime someone calls The Martian script "smart." :lol: Zesty one liners and pseudo science can make for a fun script yes, but certainly not a smart one. Gravity never tried to rely on its script, and that is what makes its effectiveness even more impressive. It's like calling the first half of WALL-E bad because there's almost no dialouge. That makes the fact that it works so well more impressive, not less. At least Gravity spun the same simple yarn Martian does with a sleek and gripping style, while simultaneously innovating in other aspects of film-making. A helluva lot more than I can say about The Martian. 

Martian will likely be nominated for all those you said, but it has zero chance at winning any. Opposed to Gravity which DID win BD and would have taken BP in a massive landslide if just one film in particular didn't exist that year.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Here are the best pic noms for 2009:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Are you teling me TDK is worse than all of those films?

We all know that TDK blows all of these films out of the water.  The Reader isn't even one of the best films to come out the week it came out, let alone the year it came out.  Benjamin is horrible and Frost/Nixon is ridiculous.  Milk is decent but far from best picture material and Slumdog is a worthy nominee, but it should have lost to TDK.

• Like 2

Just to be clear I gave The Martian a B to begin with and stick by it.  Its a fun, feel good film, but it's really nothing special.

However, that might be enough to be one of the best of the year.  So far this year I've only seen 5 films I thought deserved an A, and two were borderline.

I haven't seen a lot of smaller films though, so when I start seeing them that might change.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Well, guys, it is my time to go. It has been a while since I had so much time to be here. My free time and my life are not what it used to be. I love you all :lol::)

tumblr_ns5nudp1Kl1tstqaho1_540.gif

I think I will pass by on Wednesday or Thursday for Thanksgiving numbers. If I can't do it, well, I wish our American residents an happy Thanksgiving with their families and friends :) 

giphy.gif

• Like 2