kayumanggi

FIRST MAN | 10.12.18 | Universal | Damien Chazelle | Ryan Gosling | Neil Armstrong biopic

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

When it comes to the flag issue, I... don't get the problem? The movie looks like a loving tribute to its subject's courage and ingenuity, so getting worked up over the absence of the flag sounds silly. It's not as though anyone in the audience is going to forget that Armstrong is an American who put Americans on the moon first.

Congratulations you can think.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

6318_FD70_85_F1_4_FC4_BE93_D2_E2_E6_E51_

B9_FD8_D7_A_F31_B_44_B4_AB5_A_AE1155_CD3

Buzz Aldrin isn't Neil Armstrong.

5 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Gosling: “I don’t think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero. From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite the opposite.”

I read this as more of an observation on how humble Armstrong was, but whatever. YMMV I suppose. I don't put much stock in the Yeager comment since the tweet it's replying to is phrased in such a misconstrued way. 

@GenChuckYeager Ryan Gosling is coming out with the movie First Man where it portrays Neil Armstrong as a liberal progressive anti Trump (in spirit) non-flag waiver. Probably agree with the National Anthem kneelers, too; at least in Hollywood's liberal imagination. For your Info.

I guarantee that this guy hasn't even seen the movie yet there he is spouting stuff like that which, by all accounts of the actual movie, isn't even true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Buzz Aldrin isn't Neil Armstrong.

I read this as more of an observation on how humble Armstrong was, but whatever. YMMV I suppose. I don't put much stock in the Yeager comment since the tweet it's replying to is phrased in such a misconstrued way. 

I guarantee that this guy hasn't even seen the movie yet there he is spouting stuff like that which, by all accounts of the actual movie, isn't even true.

Of course it’s not true, which makes Gosling’s comments all the more strange considering the movie is basically American red meat and he rambled that Armstrong was the opposite of an American hero. It was an unforced error when answering a perfectly reasonable softball question about why one of the most iconic images ever was left out of the movie (apparently for good storybeat and dramatic reasons), and now it’s all anyone is talking about which can be traced right back to Gosling.

I look forward to seeing this movie and don’t care they left the flag planting out, I love these types of movies and I’ll be catching it in IMAX.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Of course it’s not true, which makes Gosling’s comments all the more strange considering the movie is basically American red meat and he rambled that Armstrong was the opposite of an American hero. It was an unforced error when answering a perfectly reasonable softball question about why one of the most iconic images ever was left out of the movie (apparently for good storybeat and dramatic reasons), and now it’s all anyone is talking about which can be traced right back to Gosling. 

I look forward to seeing this movie and don’t care they left the flag planting out, I love these types of movies and I’ll be catching it in IMAX.

I just don't think anything he said can be equated to him saying that Armstrong wasn't a hero. He's just saying that Armstrong didn't consider himself as a hero, which seems pretty consistent with what I've heard of the guy.

As for the question, from what I can tell it wasn't directly about the flag itself. The original Telegraph article says he was asked "if the film was a deliberately un-American take on the moon landing," which explains why he didn't just talk about the flag. I dunno, his answer seemed perfectly fine and coherent to me.

• Like 2

I am just sayin', you gotta looooooove the irony, hypocrisy, double ( triple ? quadruple ?) standard of these situations in 2018.

If you change something important (or not ?) in a movie about subject matter A,

you better be ok with it because who fucking cares, right ?

BUT

If you change something important (or not ?) in a movie about subject matter B,

and that you are ok with it, then all HELL breaks loose,

and the self-proclaimed tolerant, easy-going people will teach you a lesson in

INTOLERANCE 

Irony in french is almost the same as in english :

Ironie

31 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am just sayin', you gotta looooooove the irony, hypocrisy, double ( triple ? quadruple ?) standard of these situations in 2018.

If you change something important (or not ?) in a movie about subject matter A,

you better be ok with it because who fucking cares, right ?

BUT

If you change something important (or not ?) in a movie about subject matter B,

and that you are ok with it, then all HELL breaks loose,

and the self-proclaimed tolerant, easy-going people will teach you a lesson in

INTOLERANCE 

Irony in french is almost the same as in english :

Ironie

The has long it do not impact me or my views hypocrisies will always be there, I am sure you can find people acting offended on a public platform about this, complained about people doing the same for something else that didn't impacted them.

But I think a lot of people are getting tired of the big hoopla and sensitivity hurting that people make about movie they have not even seen, interviews they have not read and standup comics show they have not watch, regardless of what it is about.

What is tedious is not: not being ok about something and offering an argumented reason why and presenting it to who is interested. It is making some big deals, lets boycott and hurt x-y-z, without even doing it about an honest representation, with an effort to make an honest representation of the artistic proposition (or opinion voiced).

I mean you seem to be someone that voice being tired about people being offended with an artist proposition all the time, but now you decide to play devil advocate that it should not be the case or what exactly ? Pushing that this reaction of the type: Have you even seen the movie ? To a public outrage get applied to a larger array ? I imagine that is the case, but if so you are not doing your selling very well.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

In the film, Armstrong plants the flag then takes a knee in front of it.

I heard he turns it upside down and then shouts “WAKANDA FOREVER!”

He then rips off his face to reveal it was actually a mask and Neil Armstrong was Nancy Pelosi the entire time!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

12 minutes ago, PANDA said:

I heard he turns it upside down and then shouts “WAKANDA FOREVER!”

He then rips off his face to reveal it was actually a mask and Neil Armstrong was Nancy Pelosi the entire time!

ROLL CREDITS

DIRECTED BY RIAN JOHNSON

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Webslinger said:

When it comes to the flag issue, I... don't get the problem? The movie looks like a loving tribute to its subject's courage and ingenuity, so getting worked up over the absence of the flag sounds silly. It's not as though anyone in the audience is going to forget that Armstrong is an American who put Americans on the moon first.

People who actually despise more or less everything about America like to believe they are patriotic American patriots because they wear flag underwear and wave flags a lot. They're very mad there's not an adequate amount of flag waving in this film. 

Wait til they find out flags can't wave on the Moon anyway because there's no air, not even hot air, their favourite kind.

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

I am not but American but I have to comment since it became now a big controversy.

The movie leaving out the flag planting moment is laughable and not in a good way. Who cares about historical accuracy nowadays?...

It doesn't leave it out. It just doesn't show it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

giphy.gif

Which is the same?

By "leave out" and your comments about historical accuracy you make it sound like the movie pretends the flag planting never happened, which it doesn't. It's there, but left offscreen. You can still feast your eyes on the flag afterwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

By "leave out" and your comments about historical accuracy you make it sound like the movie pretends the flag planting never happened, which it doesn't. It's there, but left offscreen. You can still feast your eyes on the flag afterwards.

By "leave out" I clearly mean that you don't actually see the moment on screen. That simple...

• Thanks 1