#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 hour ago, quigquag33 said:

Even at the low end of predictions ($125M), SW7 will still set a record Thursday-preview-free Friday gross with $68M. Jurassic World owns the record with $64M. The question is whether it can break the Saturday and Sunday records set by Jurassic World ($69.6M and $57.2M).

Good points all around. 

Edited by SteveJaros

12 minutes ago, HeyItsMoses said:

Why move it though? I read somewhere that they're releasing the sequel every 2 years, and spin offs in between. 

Well I keep hoping Disney will see these insane numbers and realize how much there is to be said for anticipation and hype building. How much of that can you really have with just a 17 month gap? Give it some room to breath and it will be a bigger hit. Also everyone is going to have super high expectations now that the franchise is back on track and in the fan's good graces. They don't want to undo all TFA did with a rushed film. 3 years is ideal, same as TFA more or less got. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

I wonder if TFA will cover the Good Dinosaur's losses?

Poor, poor TGD. If it there was any hope of a nice leggy run starting to happen, it just took a headshot this weekend. It is a near box office disaster at this point. 

To answer your question though, TFA will make enough money to cover any film related losses Disney has ever suffered. ;)

I am 'working' myself through the thread...

'Have' to jump in in the midst of it to add my cents

15 hours ago, water said:

what a disappointing number. not 57m, which is obviously huge, but 71% male. that's abysmal. that means among women this did $57m * 0.29 = $16.5m. dh2 midnight adjusted did $45.7m * 0.54 = $24.7m among women. new moon midnight adjusted did $28.74m * 0.80 = $23.0m among women. and neither of those account for 3d. if tfa did as well among women for previews as dh2 midnight did it would have done $70.3m previews (coincidentally my prediction was 70m) and if it did as well among women for previews as tfa did among men it would have done $91.2m previews. hopefully the final weekend breakdown is closer to 50/50 but wow if there was a box-office-related time to be disappointed in the sexism in the geek community it would be now.

15 hours ago, K1Rey said:

These really aren't shocking numbers. Harry Potter and unfortunately Twilight were from novels, which girls do tend to read more and so it's not uncommon for those young adults book to movies to have a bigger female base group vs. Star Wars that is obviously skewed towards more male population.

Me, running a school library can confirm that to a degree. There are male pupils reading HP, but more females. There are NONE male readers of Twilight. There are also female readers of Star Wars related material, but a lot more males.

But:

There are a lot of female fans of the movies.

15 hours ago, spizzer said:

How is TFA previews not appealing (relatively) to women sexism?  Like genuinely, I don't understand.  That's ~1.6M women that went out to see this last night.

I also do not get it

15 hours ago, Harpospoke said:

Awww...you had a chance to talk logical box office.   i.e....not appealing as much to the female audience could hurt its chances at the top records.  (Titanic/Avatar)

But you had to wedge the "sexism" thing in there...

IMHO ther is a certain percentage of women who more or less only watch ramonce, preferable without 'real' action / grittiness. As there are also a certain percentage of male vieers that more or less only watch 'explosions'...

But both groups are not reprecenting all of their gender

I know more females that are against Sci-Fi... in general than males. And more males being against romance/drame than females.

But also there are a lot of females that do not like Romance

Or females not liking to go to the cinema, prefering the TV...

15 hours ago, water said:

what? i just said "i'm not blaming the movie, i mean it has a female lead and lots of female characters". of course it will appeal to women, but the hostile fandom makes them feel not welcome. the fact that there are already some of you saying "well maybe it just doesn't appeal to them as much" proves the very sexism in the fandom i'm talking about. it does appeal to them just as much, but then you say shit like that and make them feel unwelcome.

Hmpf, must be a regional / whatever thingy, if at all to take as a general possibility and not only a small percentage.

Never even heard of such examples, here when girls loan Star Wars books the boys are smiling and starting to discuss laser swords or.... with them.

I also do a movie discussion subject (and more), the female pupils love too Star Wars (but not the crazyness of early viewings) A lot prefer to wait a bit, do not want to stand in line for too long (as they do not like to have to pick really warm clothes and boots).

Not wanting to wait in a line counts also for the ~ 10-14y old male fans btw., no inner 'peace' and so on

In addition to all what was said for the whys...

Me, female, had to squeeze out the time to be able to see it already. Work is nuts, all has to be finished before the holiday times, plus home work

Only did it for spoiler reasons. Son out of the house that short before X-Mas = good, time for preparing for the holidays.

I'll watch it again after all the X-Mas holidays here (earliest 28. December), I know a LOT of females who will watch it for the first time after X-Mas, partly even after New Year. When all the baking, cleaning, packing,.. partying preperations and afterwards cleaning is done, visitiatins... are finished, laundry based on all the visitations is done... and finally the inner peace is reached to be able to even enjoy a/the movie.

I do not know if it is a general public holiday, but tomorrow (Sunday) here it is 4th Advent = last Sunday before X-Mans = traditionally the family sits together with 4 burning candles, cookies.... spending time together in a quieter way, not going out to 'party'.

• Like 3

Huh just catching Big Bang Theory on CBS (not an ABC show) since I was obviously at Star Wars on Thursday night (and yes it's a dumb sitcom). For those that don't know though it is Americas #1 comedy (17 million watched the episode). A big premise of the story revolved around the characters obtaining Star Wars tickets and Sheldon deciding if he should go or spend the night with his girlfriend who he had just gotten back together with (he had purchased tickets while they were broken up). Everyone of the main male characters were super excited to go.

The opening was a Star Wars crawl complete with music and yellow text and the episode even featured an appearance by Bob Newhart as a ghost jedi.

Yeah see any other movie get that type of exposure (I'm waiting Batman V. Superman). There is definitely a reason this thing was so huge....

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

So did decide what theater your going to?  I have to wait until Sunday for my second showing. 

Looks like we are going to the amc in coon rapids. Would have liked to get to Rosedale or Southdale but this works a little better time wise. We've been to this one before abdcuts fantastic. Huge screen, great sound, reclining seats. Will be a blast!

53 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I disagree with those who think this film's one-day or weekend records will stand for years. These records are made to broken, it will happen within the next three years, maybe even BvS will do it. 

BvS won't get close to TA/JW number let alone whatever this does

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Ill have seen three times by Monday. Going Monday morning with my brother.Saw Jradix World 6x in theater. Ill beat that for sure this time.

I'd have to see it 19 times to beat my JW record of 18 viewings and that's not going to happen. :P 

I'll see TFA one more time later this week because I wasn't sober the first time. 

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Huh just catching Big Bang Theory on CBS (not an ABC show) since I was obviously at Star Wars on Thursday night (and yes it's a dumb sitcom). For those that don't know though it is Americas #1 comedy (17 million watched the episode). A big premise of the story revolved around the characters obtaining Star Wars tickets and Sheldon deciding if he should go or spend the night with his girlfriend who he had just gotten back together with (he had purchased tickets while they were broken up). Everyone of the main male characters were super excited to go.

The opening was a Star Wars crawl complete with music and yellow text and the episode even featured an appearance by Bob Newhart as a ghost jedi.

Yeah see any other movie get that type of exposure (I'm waiting Batman V. Superman). There is definitely a reason this thing was so huge....

To be fair, TBBT makes Star Wars references all the time. Also Star Trek (a lot of times, I think Leonard Nimoy was on the show), LOTR, MCU movies, Harry Potter, etc. So of course it will be featured big time when SW7 opened. I'm not saying SW7 is not hyped, just that TBBT is not a good indicator for how big the hype is.

• Like 6