#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

1 minute ago, CJ Ren said:

I told you all IN FUCKING JUNE this was gonna make 300M OW. Back then, people were saying SW was gonna open below JW. I just want to remind everyone of this.

It hasn't made 300m yet. Don't count your chickens

• Like 7

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

I was just going to comment on the 57 million previews...yeah that's not going to be broken again for a long time. That's insane enough. The only thing that could do these types of numbers would be Avatar 2 or maybe the next Star Wars. Batman V. Superman won't do it. The next Avengers won't. I mean this was really the perfect storm. Harry Potter held that for so long, so to crush it like that, just wow.

And hearing those estimates...holy shit. Let's hope they end up being true and it doesn't fall through the night like Avengers AOU did. I have a feeling this is going to be much much stronger though.

Avatar 2 has less of a chance of doing than a Batman movie. No franchise will beat this record unless it's Star Wars or we get enough ticket price inflation that it won't even mean much to break it.

• Like 5

Unbelievable is not a good enough word to describe what's happening right now.

INSANE BEYOND BELIEF WTF

Go TFA...crush every fucking thing in sight and make it so hard for things in the future to come even close, let alone beat it.

Are people aware that this thing basically did as much as DH2's OD...EXCLUDING PREVIEWS?! 

I won't accept anything less than $130m. STUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNING

• Like 11

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

George Lucas and James Cameron right now.

ZhIQIFj.gif

I wonder if George Lucas is regretting selling this to Disney for $4 billion? This movie alone will probably gross $2b-$3b and make another $1b-$2b in merchandising, video games, blu-ray...ect. 

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Except that would go against every big midnight/preview number report ever.

For cinemas that are running the movie 24 hours a day, where is the cutoff point drawn? If it's non stop showings then imo that theory could make sense.

Also, for 7pm starts in previews, when do movies usually run till in cinemas?

4 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

They need to do that otherwise the drop is gonna be legendary :lol: 

It's a mixed bag. They'll beat themselves at the May record and since it's Memorial Day it'll do well (maybe even take highest grossing Monday from TFA? :ph34r: ) but late legs will be shit and we'd have to wait longer if they do December again :kitschjob: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1