#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It might beat TDK's 3-day and Sith's 4-day in one day. :o:D

It might beat the previous OW record in 2 days. Avengers and Spider-Man came close but it's been a long time since a movie actually did that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

And Kal-El predicted Alvin and the Chipmunks' breakout and Avatar making 700m+. 

There was plenty of reasoning behind our collective conservatism. What was the record for December before this? I've said it many times before, no one predicts phenomenons, they can only guess(or hope) correctly. ;)

Regardless, you were still amazing in that you stuck to your guns. Obi-Wan has taught you well. 

He didn't completely stick to his guns. Earlier today he was lowballing it after the $55/57m preview numbers came in. :lol:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Master Scottb said:

I wonder if George Lucas is regretting selling this to Disney for $4 billion? This movie alone will probably gross $2b-$3b and make another $1b-$2b in merchandising, video games, blu-ray...ect. 

Doubt it, Lucas has made his fortune and wants to spend the rest of his money on philanthropy. Once you're a multi-billionnaire, perhaps more money is meaningless. And it's not like he was going to do anything with it anyway in terms of new movies. He still owns a massive stake in Disney and I think he still has some rights in the franchise (? could be wrong)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

How is Alvin still a thing? Incredible the money they've milked from this series.

Cause Alvin was a popular cartoon when I was a kid, and we have kids now, so it plays on parent's nostalgia.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hasn't posted yet

DHD

Early shows typically before 4PM

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Rth hasn't said anything. THR is reporting the 43m matinee number, and yes, matinees refer to morning and afternoon shows.

I am gonna go with Tele here and assume everything before 7 PM are matinees. THAT IS FUCKING INSANE. Is DHD trolling everyone right now? Is this gonna make 90M today without previews? That is impossible. I am gonna set up my expectations for a good 120M OD. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

6am is typically the cutoff.

Movies start anywhere from 7-10pm these days, most only go to midnight or 1am unless there's a lot of demand.

thanks, good to know. We don't really have previews here in UK so I don't know much about this stuff :) 

• Like 1