AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Whether or not Rey's abilities in TFA work kinda depends on how they explore her backstory in the next film. If they give us a good backstory that she was raised with the force and it was just blocked until it re-emerged, then I'm fine with it. If she's just some random girl who had never heard of the Force before, then no. Unfortunately because of all the set-up in TFA, my final opinion is really going to depend on where the story goes to determine if it was worth it.

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm just glad the jedi are outcast and people struggle to a force pull a tiny lightsaber again.

LucasFilm listened to the fans.

It's boring when jedis are the powerful establishment and every jedi is Jean Grey with force powers.

Force Lighting or GTFO 

lol 

1 hour ago, Klingo said:

Well that sucks that Kylo is the last.  Makes it less interesting.

Hmmm 

I think it makes it more interesting. 

Why is he the last? 

Did they all die fighting against the resistance?

Did Kylo take them out one at a time to prove his ability to Snoke?

It didn't seem like there were too many members of the Knights of Ren any way, so it probably wouldn't have been hard for Kylo to take them out. 

2 hours ago, Ajipon said:

You sure Snoke said that Kyloe is the *last* of the Knights of Ren? I thought he said the *First* of the Knight of Ren? 

Don't tell me. I need an excuse to watch it again.

Haha

Guess I'll have to see it again also lol

5 hours ago, ChiSoxRox said:

I really hope that Episode VIII doesn't have Finn and Rey wind up romantic. I like how their chemistry in this film was much more like friendship, something I found much more refreshing than "Hey, they're opposite genders, start the clock to the sparks!" I wish we could have an epic storyline that doesn't have some romantic element shoehorned on top of everything else.

Agreed.   Somehow a female character can't share the screen with a male character without instant "She should be with him!".    Check out some Youtube videos of interviews they do together....same thing.   "Did you see how she looked at him?"      :rolleyes:

Rey is more than awesome on her own.   I've decided I like her more than Luke from ANH.    They might let her stand on her own from that last line.  "I'll see you again my friend".    Feels more like a sibling thing to me. 

---------------------------------

I wonder if the bloody "war paint" stormtrooper helmet will become iconic?

---------------------------------

I just watched an interview with Boyega where he said he first tried his normal Brit accent but Abrams didn't like it.   That's a shame....I would rather he have the accent.

• Like 1

Saw a great take on Kylo Ren on another forum:

Kylo Ren isn't the traditional "badass" bad guy. If anything, he's more like a metatextual commentary on shitty Star Wars fans, who take all the wrong lessons from the story being told. There are a lot of people who, whether they consciously realize it or not, see themselves in that misguided, stubborn, mean-spirited, scared character. It's why his appearance shocks the shit out of people. He takes off the mask and he looks like... a cosplayer way too into his persona. Which is what he is. He's not a badass. He's not the power-fantasy he wants to be. He's closer to a fuckin School Shooter than anything, a stupid, shithead kid who thinks the only way he can be special is to ruin everything good for whatever silly reasons he's decided to latch onto. 

So that's unpleasant to a lot of people. Then combine the fact this girl, who is essentially the personification of the Luke role in the first film, but maximized and made more dynamic in a couple ways, defeats him outright. Not just mentally, but physically as well. Granted, he's handicapped during that fight, but she wins it clean, with the help of The Force. (clean as in she's not bailed out via deus ex machina or a team up w/another character)

What you're seeing are people reacting to not just the defeat of a Male Power Fantasy, but the defeat of a very specific Male Power Fantasy that is kinda laid bare as the wimpy, shitty falsehood it often is, at the hands of a character who normally (and to their mind, by all rights probably SHOULD be) is a guy, but isn't.

Also, that Kylo Ren twitter account is brilliant.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

Ooh, and also Blank's Film Professor saw the movie...

His review is quite humorous, he seems to have enjoyed it, but is pissed off that he can't find anything deep and intertextual in it :lol:

Certainly The Force itself is deep and intertextual (?) 

59 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

Saw a great take on Kylo Ren on another forum:

Also, that Kylo Ren twitter account is brilliant.

Wow...someone doesn't really understand SW fans.   (Or was just trying really hard to wedge some "sexism" into it)

SW fans "hate" Ren because he killed Han.   They certainly aren't rooting for him against Rey.

• Like 1