CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

27 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Seriously only an American would think this. Star wars is massive, but if it fails to reach Avatars worldwide tally 6 years later with expanding markets on its side and being based on arguably the most iconic movie franchise in history, how can it be more impressive? Avatar was an original film, let's not put down its gross. Star wars is absolutely smashing it in some markets, avatar smashed it in practically every market, it's hard to get more impressive than that.

Also if you're 50 you're also saying it's more impressive than Titanic runs, which will end up with similar admissions sold in the US, and a shit load more overseas, makes no sense 

We still don't know the legs SW7 will have in OS countries. We are going to see some amazing legs the next couple of weekends. And then, there's China in the horizon. I can see SW7 easily reaching 1B OS after its third weekend. Who would have thought that Avatar would gross 2B OS after its OW?

Also, yes, there are expanded markets, but there is a worse exchange ratio too. 

Edited by stripe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smerfy01 said:

Now we get to the fun stuff.

Who here is in for TFA breaking the all-time Tuesday gross?

Keep in mind, the record is held by TASM which opened on a Tuesday. ~$36 million.

TASM holds a record? I definitely want that to be taken.

• Like 8

Just now, Mango said:

TASM holds a record? I definitely want that to be taken.

Well, it opened on a Tuesday. The day before Independence Day.

Would be hilarious/legendary for a film that released the previous week to beat the record held by a film that released on that day.

• Like 1

I can't believe we are actually having a non-insane conversation about $1B domestic.  I still don't believe (sorry) that will happen, but just to have it in the mix is exciting.  Way to go Star Wars!  I would love to see it dethrone Avatar, since that is probably one of my least favorite of the blockbusters, but I'm honestly just thrilled to see SW back so popular again.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

Now we get to the fun stuff.

Who here is in for TFA breaking the all-time Tuesday gross?

Keep in mind, the record is held by TASM which opened on a Tuesday. ~$36 million.

ASM1 was $35.01m, so a $35.02m Tuesday would do the trick. Assuming a Monday at or above $39m, that is a 10.2% drop. Very doable and seems quite likely to happen. My guess is it drops around 2-4% today for $37m on the low end.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

I can't believe we are actually having a non-insane conversation about $1B domestic.  I still don't believe (sorry) that will happen, but just to have it in the mix is exciting.  Way to go Star Wars!  I would love to see it dethrone Avatar, since that is probably one of my least favorite of the blockbusters, but I'm honestly just thrilled to see SW back so popular again.  

Avatar's domestic total is 100% locked. It's pretty much locked to beat Phantom Menace adjusted for inflation/3D as well ($800-850m). That would make it the biggest ticket seller since Titanic, which is amazing in and of itself considering the home theater era we live in. I think $900m is very likely and $1B is certainly in play.

• Like 6

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

I see no reason why TFA won't increase tomorrow.  Wednesday and Thursday should be sharp declines but Friday will be massive.

IMAX/PLF tend to throw a wrench into the equation for mega openers on their first cheap Tuesday. Those tickets tend to not be discounted, so it hurts the potential jump. TA2 dropped over 70% on its first Monday and then still dropped around 1% on Tuesday. JW dropped 4% on Tuesday. The fact people are off work for the holidays might help, but then again that already helped the Monday number too so you never know.

1 minute ago, The Panda Menace said:

I see no reason why TFA won't increase tomorrow.  Wednesday and Thursday should be sharp declines but Friday will be massive.

Wednesday won't drop that much.  Thursday it will of course, but Friday will go up by 90-100%.

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If TFA makes over 1 billion OS that would be impressive considering how little the prequels made OS.

Haven't followed OS markets at all yet, but I assumed it would be good for at least that OS with all the hype? Making more in the US than all of OS would be insane in this day and age.

4 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

As long as Wednesday makes over $28 million, I'll be happy.

Why?

It'll beat TPM's opening day if that happens :ohmyzod:

Edited by smerfy01