Plain Old Tele

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

11 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

Star Wars is bringing in a lot of new members.  

I joined the forum as a lurker during The Avengers run.

I started posting during Frozen's run.

I also want to mention that we have a strict spoiler policy on the forums... even stricter for TFA.  Please read the 'Guidelines' at on the main menu.

And of course... it's required  encouraged to play to Derby :ph34r:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20793-the-official-box-office-theory-derby-announcement-thread/

First derby entered! 

• Like 5

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

Remember when Excel tried telling us LOTR was nearly as big as Star Wars in the US now?

Well ROTK sold more tickets than all the prequels except for TPM.  Problem was, those movies were terrible and couldn't explode like this one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

You mean... The Force Awakens would have pulled more in its first three weekdays than MJ2s OW? :ph34r:

Or, if it makes $37.4M or above today, TFA's first three weekdays will be bigger than Spider-Man 1's OW. That's just a completely surreal thought for a long time BO follower like me lol

• Like 1

Just now, jandrew said:

To be fair to Kal, hes not completely wrong. It is possible. Every theater in America could spontaneously combust when TFA reaches $560...and there ya have it.

That is true.  ISIS could start WW3 on Christmas Day and then nobody would be seeing Star Wars anymore.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

It'll be at 570m domestic after this weekend. B)

2 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol more like 400 plus mil. I believe mojo is the authority.  Lowest 550to 600plus million.  Courts adjourned.  Slim chance for 700 to 800

Kal isn't handling this well at all. It has turned his brain to mush. He has thrown all logic out the door. :rofl:

• Like 2

Despite the huge backlash, the PT still easily pulled in more tickets than any other franchise trilogy, other than the OT of course. Goes to show the power Star Wars has.

Star Wars PT: 198m

Spider-Man: 180m

LOTR: 174m

Shrek: 165m

TDK: 164m

POTC: 160m

Edited by blackspider
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, druv10 Maul said:

Safe to say, Disney will move SW8 to Dec 2017 and subsequent sequels to December as well. 

Hope so.  They could own Christmas for years.  Instead of watching 'It’s a Wonderful Life' for Christmas people would annually go see Star Wars.

However... as we saw with the early DVD release of Frozen both here and in Japan it's hard to stop a corporation decision that is already in motion.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

That is true.  ISIS could start WW3 on Christmas Day and then nobody would be seeing Star Wars anymore.

Perhaps Kal has his own Death Star and will be firing it sometime Sunday?

I hope he doesn't. I still haven't found my one true love yet. You might say I've been looking for it in Alderaan places.....:P

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Killimano3 said:

It eventually ended up at 749.8M

which was 14.6% of it's total

Following that trajectory we can determine that Star Wars will end up at 2,228.8M 

or roughly 2.2B

It is confirmed

That's more likely than Kal's total prediction. :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spizzer said:

Oh no, that's Kal all right.  Means every word.

Lol you internet guys never learned from day pm lol.  There is nothing to watch and once the first 2weeks dust settles,  we will see how this weaker copy of age fairs.  Lol your still losing the important race were to titanic  and avatar and losing to jpworld ww is also a possibility.  All always knows.  640 to 730m. 1. 6 to 1.8b ww.  Bite on that Jedis

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

Hope so.  They could own Christmas for years.  Instead of watching 'It’s a Wonderful Life' for Christmas people would annually go see Star Wars.

However... as we saw with the early DVD release of Frozen both here and in Japan it's hard to stop a corporation decision that is already in motion.

True but if SW7 makes 2B+ and 1B+ domestic then no question in my mind that Disney will move them, no question money talks and remember if SW8 drops a lot in May, some heads are gonna roll. If it's not broken why fix it should be Disney's motto. 

• Like 2

final wednesday tally:

sold out: 17

showings: 62

first day with less than 20 sellouts but still going strong. A clear drop off from the comparably equal business of monday and tuesday.

early thursday tally

sold out: 12

showings: 47

strong start, I think 20+ sellouts are in store but that's mainly due to the drop in showings on Christmas Eve.

• Like 2

Just now, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol you internet guys never learned from day pm lol.  There is nothing to watch and once the first 2weeks dust settles,  we will see how this weaker copy of age fairs.  Lol your still losing the important race were to titanic  and avatar and losing to jpworld ww is also a possibility.  All always knows.  640 to 730m. 1. 6 to 1.8b ww.  Bite on that Jedis

Woah, it's already moved up to a 640m floor?  What happened to your 560m prediction a few hours ago?

• Like 9

Just now, Kalel009Shel said:

well at least its not 560-600M anymore

• Like 6

Just now, druv10 Maul said:

True but if SW7 makes 2B+ and 1B+ domestic then no question in my mind that Disney will move them, no question money talks and remember if SW8 drops a lot in May, some heads are gonna roll. If it's not broken why fix it should be Disney's motto. 

I hope you're right.

However my kid had a fit when I told him it should move.  He wants GOG2 to move to August

• Like 2