Plain Old Tele

Wednesday Star Wars TFA ACTUALS - 38,022,183

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

If SW7 makes 1 billion domestic, nothing is gonna beat that for the next 30 years except MAYBE Episode 8 which must make it extra depressing for Kal

If EP7 hits $1 billion, nothing is touching it that's currently on the board (I disagree with the 30 year statement, it will fall inside of 15 due to ticket prices and inflation if nothing else). EP8 definitely won't do it if they leave the opening day where it is currently. It will probably break EP7's weekend record, it just won't have the legs to surpass it's domestic total. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

I have to say, how I have NEVER stumbled onto this forum before is pure enigma to me. I came here from reddit, and this forum looks awesome!

Anyway, holy crap! This is a completely unreal hold. I'm the guy who said 230 M opening week-end was an audacious number, and I expected it to be below that.

Now, what's happening right now exactly? I just... what the... is this even real?

I've been following box office for years now, and I've never seen anything like this. So exciting, I can barely do anything meaningful during the day! Sure, I work... but yeah, mind's not on it. I hadn't even planned on seeing the movie more than once, but that's it now, I have to go back a 3rd time. Maybe even 4th. Be a part of history :P

Whatever, pleased to meet y'all, greetings from Canada, and I'll be sure to stick around! This is completely insane.

~Dax

P.S. Small question, does anybody know the %female audience right now? If I recall correctly it was 70% male on premiere day, but it was shifting quite abruptly and now, I don't know what's the status on it? Anyway, gotta work on a proper avatar now...

Welcome! Greetings from Houston!

Last I saw the split was 58% male, 42% female but it was trending to a more even split so it's probably about 55% - 45% at this point :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAR said:

With the amount of money this is making some drunk Disney exec is like fuck it, Tron, John Carter and Tomorrowland sequels for all

Dinsey got make some bombs so they do not sued for having a monopoly. 

2 hours ago, Moviedweeb said:

This is INSANE! This film is an astonishing cultural phenomenon. 

People keep saying MCU universe is the star wars for this generation. The Dark Knight trilogy is this generation star wars, LotR is this generation star wars. It going to make more money than of those movies highest grossing film by the end of year. It is simple Star Wars is this generations Star Wars 

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

Don't tell this to Water...according to him the female interest in the film is sad and it shows how sexist Star Wars is.

Men are sexist for not giving it an A+. The cinema score was an A overall so men gave it an A-

34 minutes ago, DAR said:

Talking with Dean on his celly getting ready to beat Chewy's street ass

Denn just called him on his celly telling him that Disney is word about a 70% drop off this week at the box office since word of mouth is so bad.

In retrospect I gotta say this number's pretty amazing. I remember when people were predicting TFA to only make around 500m, now it has the possibility of doubling that number. WHOA!! Never saw that coming, definitely.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

If it does increase Avatar like this weekend, and I don't think it will, but if it does, you are looking at a total of about 850 mill by January 3rd......it's...I just.....I can't wrap my head around this at all.

Well, colour me a little hesitant calling a weekend with an Avatar like multiplier.  This has to slow down eventually....it can't keep this pace up.  Seriously, this is nuts.

My guess, after NY it slows down to finish with 1.1-1.2B or right around Titanic Admissions. :ohmygod::ohmyzod:

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I have to say, how I have NEVER stumbled onto this forum before is pure enigma to me. I came here from reddit, and this forum looks awesome!

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you stay around after TFA's historic run ( too 1 Billion )

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Anyway, holy crap! This is a completely unreal hold. I'm the guy who said 230 M opening week-end was an audacious number, and I expected it to be below that.

Now, what's happening right now exactly? I just... what the... is this even real?

I've been following box office for years now, and I've never seen anything like this. So exciting, I can barely do anything meaningful during the day! Sure, I work... but yeah, mind's not on it. I hadn't even planned on seeing the movie more than once, but that's it now, I have to go back a 3rd time. Maybe even 4th. Be a part of history :P

Whatever, pleased to meet y'all, greetings from Canada, and I'll be sure to stick around! This is completely insane.

~Dax

P.S. Small question, does anybody know the %female audience right now? If I recall correctly it was 70% male on premiere day, but it was shifting quite abruptly and now, I don't know what's the status on it? Anyway, gotta work on a proper avatar now...

Welcome to the forum.  Don't listen to what about half of us have to say about numbers (including me), a good number of us pull it out of our butts and pat ourselves on the backs when we're right (including me).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darth AndyLL said:

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you stay around after TFA's historic run ( too 1 Billion )

Thanks!

I will... I have to make sure that no Superhero movie beats it, and I have to be there when Ep.8 smashes the opening week-end record (but not total domestic run!) :D

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSoxRox said:

So the Christmas Eve record is $11.5M for Avatar. Could Star Wars pull off three times that? ($34.5M)

I would say that's probably impossible, since many theaters close early. But perhaps families everywhere will get up from dinner tables, walk to theaters, and say "open up or we riot." 

1 minute ago, ChiSoxRox said:

So the Christmas Eve record is $11.5M for Avatar. Could Star Wars pull off three times that? ($34.5M)

No, it's going to drop 30-35% which is perfectly fine for 25-26M. Friday is where the real fireworks begin, potential 60M. This run has been just perfect. Massive presales followed by great reviews then BO followed suit to the max on OW and now legs are kicking in.:wub:

• Like 2