kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

Didn't people also predict $40-50 million for Frozen in Japan based on Tangled's performance there? Not saying Zootopia will come anywhere near that level of success, but I think it has the potential to do a bit more than the usual Disney animation. 

15 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

I think ZOO will make 60m in Japan.

That brings the WW total to perhaps 930 WW

Now it's at 720m OS, adding 60m from Japan, another 25m from UK, another 50m from US, another 75m from other markets 

Dont worry, 1B is locked for ZOO, you are conservative on these numbers.

• Like 2

Extended run in China made 1B more likely.

Last weekend it was close to 700M WW after a WW weekend of around 65M. It's not getting a sub-4x IM from that, so that's 890M or so with just holdovers.

It's in 52 markets now, meaning some minor countries should be still left. Any info about that?

So 900M nearly locked without Japan, and 925+ likely. 1B is happening, as long as Japan doesn't fail. And beating BvS is definitely locked up.

3 hours ago, firedeep said:

1B is locked for ZOO. People keep underestimating it.

Totally agree.

Zootopia will be big in Japan. It won't just fail there.  

Will its showtimes be against other Hollywood big names (and I mean, for sure, bigger than BvS), or against other local big hits? 

Or will Japan economics suddenly falls down?

Those are only reasons I can think of to make it fail there.

If no, and there are no other reasons left, then $100m in Japan is pretty much locked.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

Totally agree.

Will its showtimes be against other Hollywood big names (and I mean, for sure, bigger than BvS), or against other local big hits? 

If no, and there are no other reasons left, then $100m in Japan is pretty much locked.

$100 million is FAR from locked.  Even Star Wars, which opened to critical acclaim and had one of the highest opening weekends of all time couldn't get to $100 million.  Nowadays, $100 million requires about 11.1 billion yen.  Right now, expectations should be set at 5 billion yen because not only is that threshold the blockbuster status mark, it's also in line with Inside Out's performance.  Unlike Inside Out, Zootopia won't have a Jurassic World and Minions to deal with so the odds are in its favor.  Anywhere from $40 - 60 million would be beyond exceptional.  $100 million is a possibility and hopefully it comes into fruition but with the current economic environment, it's not the most plausible of outcomes.  However, I do agree that Zootopia will SLAY at the Japan box office.  When I think of Zootopia, I think of a Ponyo-esque run in Japan so hopefully that comes true! :D  It'll only be inches away from the $800 million point after this weekend and within the next few weeks, it should be at $900 million.  By then, it should have opened in Japan so $1 billion is the hopeful outcome. 

The film made $478.3M as of Wednesday, so it should cross $500M by Sunday. Including the NA gross, it should be at $775M+ by Sunday WW, becoming the top-grossing film of the year (temporarily of course, but still an amazing feat).

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/batman-v-superman-hits-530m-worldwide/5102160.article?blocktitle=INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40079

2 hours ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

$100 million is FAR from locked.  Even Star Wars, which opened to critical acclaim and had one of the highest opening weekends of all time couldn't get to $100 million.  Nowadays, $100 million requires about 11.1 billion yen.  Right now, expectations should be set at 5 billion yen because not only is that threshold the blockbuster status mark, it's also in line with Inside Out's performance.  Unlike Inside Out, Zootopia won't have a Jurassic World and Minions to deal with so the odds are in its favor.  Anywhere from $40 - 60 million would be beyond exceptional.  $100 million is a possibility and hopefully it comes into fruition but with the current economic environment, it's not the most plausible of outcomes.  However, I do agree that Zootopia will SLAY at the Japan box office.  When I think of Zootopia, I think of a Ponyo-esque run in Japan so hopefully that comes true! :D  It'll only be inches away from the $800 million point after this weekend and within the next few weeks, it should be at $900 million.  By then, it should have opened in Japan so $1 billion is the hopeful outcome. 

It doesn't have Jurassic World or Minions, but it does have The Jungle Book and Captain America: Civil War.

5 hours ago, Jack said:

Totally agree.

It's tempting to think it will be a gigantic smash hit in Japan, given that they dubbed "Try Everything" in to the local language.

Still, nothing's given. We should be thankful if it reaches $80 million in Japan.

• Like 1

For perspective on Japan, there are typically around 5 movies a year (±2) that make over 5 billion yen ($45M at current exchange rates). 10 billion yen movies ($90M) don't come along every year - there have been 6 since 2010. It's naive to think of any movie as having that sort of success locked.

Here's the upcoming schedule in Japan, courtesy of Corpse :

April
04/01 - [279], Suspicious Woman (Shochiku)
04/01 - [109], The Stare (Kadokawa)
04/02 - [N/A], Mitsu no Aware (Phantom Film)
04/08 - [x71], Room (Gaga)
04/09 - [x72], The Mohican Comes Home (Tokyo Theaters, Co.)
04/09 - [x68], Thomas & Friends: Sodor’s Legend of the Lost Treasure (Tokyo Theaters, Co.)
04/15 - [111], Spotlight (Long Ride)
04/16 - [354], Detective Conan: Pitch Black Nightmare (Toho)
04/16 - [343], Crayon Shin-chan: Fast Asleep! The Large Attack on the Dreaming World (Toho)
04/22 - [344], The Revenant (Fox)
04/23 - [288], I Am A Hero (Toho)
04/23 - [224], Zootopia (Disney)
04/23 - [131], Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions (Toei)
04/23 - [N/A], The 5th Wave (Sony)
04/29-05/06 - Golden Week (Holiday Period)
04/29 - [299], Chihayafuru - Part 2 (Toho)
04/29 - [269], Terra Formars (Warner Bros.)
04/29 - [269], Captain America: Civil War (Disney)
04/29 - [224], Scanner (Toei)
04/29 - [176], The Sea of Trees (Toho-Towa)

May
04/29-05/06 - Golden Week (Holiday Period)
05/07 - [324], 64: Part I (Toho)
05/07 - [154], Hero Mania: Life (Toei)
05/07 - [142], Road to HIGH & LOW (Shochiku)
05/13 - [x74], Macbeth (Yoshimoto Kogyo Co.)
05/13 - [N/A], Hail! Caesar (Toho-Towa)
05/14 - [294], If Cats Disappeared From the World (Toho)
05/14 - [196], The Magnificent Nine (Shochiku)
05/21 - [N/A], After the Storm (Gaga)
05/27 - [N/A], The Huntsman: Winter's War (Toho-Towa)
05/28 - [249], Wolf Girl and Black Prince (Warner Bros.)
05/28 - [N/A], Himeano~ru (Nikkatsu)
05/28 - [N/A], London Has Fallen (Showgate)

Looks like a strong but not out of this world line-up.

1 minute ago, MinaTakla said:

If ZOO makes 1 B, then MINIONS and TOY STORY 3 will be the only animated films to hit that mark without being big in the top Asian markets Japan (FROZEN) or China (ZOO).

Interesting.

Well, yeah, but it's not surprising when there's only 4 movies to choose from, if Zootopia makes $1 billion.