kayumanggi

ZOOTOPIA | 682.5 M overseas ● 1023.8 M worldwide

18 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Olive got confused with so many animals these days on the big screen! :P

Will Zootopia reach $900M by Sunday?

Well, it seems that Zootopia's weekend in China isn't going to be that big.

I'm going to say no.

Edited by cannastop

On 15/4/2016 at 6:30 PM, Purple Minion said:

Will Zootopia reach $900M by Sunday?

Absolutely impossible. It added around 55M last week with a very inflated Monday. Freefall in China due to screen loss + competition from JB + low weekdays + no new opener = 880M or so after the weekend. I'd be surprised at anything above 885.

• Like 1

So Conan is breaking franchise records in Japan despite around 8% of the nation's theaters being closed on Kyushu Island due to the Kumamoto Earthquake which means it could have a slightly better second weekend hold. Zootopia will need to perfom really well to get that #1 spot on OW, especially in admissions.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

So Conan is breaking franchise records in Japan despite around 8% of the nation's theaters being closed on Kyushu Island due to the Kumamoto Earthquake which means it could have a slightly better second weekend hold. Zootopia will need to perfom really well to get that #1 spot on OW, especially in admissions.

I agree completely: Conan could possibly open to 1 billion yen (the largest in the franchise's history)... which is insane for a 20-year old franchise!  Of course, even if Conan does have a better than normal second week drop, the drop will be by no means small.  Anything above 650 million yen (approx. $6 million) for Zootopia should secure the top spot. However, if Conan demolishes all expectations and has a terrific hold, I could see Zootopia not reaching the top until two weeks into its play where demand for the Golden Week releases and Conan begins to ease.  By then, we should have a good grasp of whether or not Zootopia will get to $70+ million.  Anywhere in the 650 - 850 million yen range would be a great debut for Zootopia! 

~ 650 million yen, ($5.9 - 6 million) --> requires an insane 11.6 - 11.8 multiplier 

~ 850 million yen, ($7.8 million) --> requires an average word-of-mouth driven 8.9 multiplier 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

On 4/14/2016 at 0:52 AM, cannastop said:

Alice isn't going anywhere in any market.

Alice 1 is the highest grossing live action film in the market since its release. Not even SW could surpass it. Only Frozen and The Wind Rises (by a very small margin) have managed to make more since then. The movie sucked and maybe this part might too. But there's every indication to the fact that this will gross higher than Zoo here. Its not certain and anything can happen, actually, but its much more probable than the contrary.

OS minus China (using estimates)

257.9              -  March 27

294.7  (+36.8) -  April 3 

326.5  (+31.8) -  April 10

340.9  (+14.4) -  April 17

365-370 from these markets, 930 everywhere except japan.

Zootopia took in $10.8 million from 53 territories.  That places the film’s overseas total at $574.8 million and global cume at a massive $882.3 million.  Current totals to date for individual markets include $234.2 million in China, $31.6 million in Russia, $30.5 million in France, $29.7 million in Germany and $29.5 million in the United Kingdom.

Source: BoxOffice.com

27M OS + 25M+ DOM + 60M Japan

995M-1B 

• Like 2

Big OS drop as expected. And next weekend won't be too nice either, as almost 2 millions of that figure come from China.

65M in Japan will probably be the necessary number to get to 1B. Let's cross fingers.

10 hours ago, IMojammer said:

OS minus China (using estimates)

257.9              -  March 27

294.7  (+36.8) -  April 3 

326.5  (+31.8) -  April 10

340.9  (+14.4) -  April 17

365-370 from these markets, 930 everywhere except japan.

that's a pretty sizable drop due to TJB. Zoo will face a massive Detective Conan next weekend. Hope it delivers.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2016 at 10:14 PM, kkccoo said:

It will bomb in Asian market. Too many references to the western culture. People there won't get some jokes. Just like inside out is totally based on a girl growing up in the Western countries, the parents moved a lot due to jobs or divorce but in most Asian countries, most families never move in their whole life. So you can't expect people there to resonate with the movie.

Lol.

• Like 3

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎21 at 4:14 AM, kkccoo said:

It will bomb in Asian market. Too many references to the western culture. People there won't get some jokes. Just like inside out is totally based on a girl growing up in the Western countries, the parents moved a lot due to jobs or divorce but in most Asian countries, most families never move in their whole life. So you can't expect people there to resonate with the movie.

Bomb in asian markets...eh? :P

Looks like South Korea & China proved you wrong..... B)

China = $232M

South Korea = $26M

• Like 1

On 18/4/2016 at 6:56 PM, cannastop said:

Lol.

First: irrational doesn't mean 'impossible', just very very unlikely at that point. In fact, even with an absolutely insane run China, comparable only to the one Frozen got in Japan (which was - irrational), a combined 300M is still far from certain. So the sentence was correct.

Second: 350M+ dom is in fact NOT happening. So the sentence was correct.

Third: there's the difference between '800M is the target' and '800M is the ceiling' or even '800M is my prediction'.

Also, I always try to keep my expectations as low as possible when it comes to movies I strongly root for.

2 minutes ago, Omni said:

First: irrational doesn't mean 'impossible', just very very unlikely at that point. In fact, even with an absolutely insane run China, comparable only to the one Frozen got in Japan (which was - irrational), a combined 300M is still far from certain. So the sentence was correct.

Second: 350M+ dom is in fact NOT happening. So the sentence was correct.

Third: there's the difference between '800M is the target' and '800M is the ceiling' or even '800M is my prediction'.

Also, I always try to keep my expectations as low as possible when it comes to movies I strongly root for.

Hey, I was just poking fun. Honestly, we don't know how it's going to do in Japan, but I'm guessing it's gonna slay like it did most everywhere.