druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Saturday was ridiculous here. Hotel Transylvania 2 was massive, Peanuts is opening this weekend and did good numbers as well and The Good Dinosaur, which opened on November 26, is seeing a big increase from the last two weeks. Star Wars is still the king. The Hunger Games 4, O Leão da Estrela (Portuguese comedy that opened on November 26) and In the Heart of the Sea sold out A TON of shows late in the night almost everywhere. Sisters did ok business in the center and south of the country and insane business in the north of the country (where usually comedies tend to perform way better) and the other movie opening, the Portuguese crime thriller Amor Impossivel, is the only true Christmas flop.

Overall it was a ridiculous Saturday. Truly mind-blowing tbh. Specially the older movies Hunger Games, In The Heart of the Sea and Leão da Estrela doing gangbusters at night and selling out almost everywhere. Crazy!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

it's make sense,we should include 3d rerelease figure into final since the inflation factor is being ignored already,

Re-release figure has to be taken if only if we play an inflation game.

somemore, a film that released twice could still earn a notable $150mil ,proving its box office pulling power through 

No, it doesn't, especially not if it isn't the same material, had it's own budget and marketing and so on. Plus way too atypical to develop calculation models out of it.

15y span changes too many details, in theory you'd have to wait for SW 7 15y too to see it's real 'pulling power'

If you change one detail in a way that only 'helps' one side and ignore the rest = non-sense

8 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Hasn't this film suffered enough, now they're rubbing salt in the wounds.

I was also rolling my eyes. Out of all surpassed movies... it had to be That one. Some people seem not to be able to let it be.

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Yep, I already posted repeatedly the daily part of that comparison.

The graphic presentation at The-Numbers too is impressive. Already posted the todays update, so here the link (all famous / bigger December releases without Titanic as I think it isn't matching with today's cinema BO rules...), if interested

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Star-Wars-Ep-VII-The-Force-Awakens/Avatar/Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Return-of-the-King-The/Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-The/Chronicles-of-Narnia-The-Lion-the-Witch-and-the-Wardrobe-The/I-am-Legend

The sense of scale here is like those infographics your wannabe science nerd friend posts on Facebook where they compare the size of the planets to show you how big Jupiter is, and then suddenly zoom out to show the Sun.

TFA is practically a vertical line there.  Just crazy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

I'd be content with $55M.  Happy with $60M.  Back into an all too familiar state of exhausted jubilance with TFA at $65M.

If it repeats last weekends model, then Saturday increase will be more subdued and then followed with a beastly Sunday drop. I'm thinking it will hit 57-58m today and then have a 10% drop Sunday to around 52m so 159-160m for the weekend.

Edited by blackspider
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Disney just keeps winning.

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Lol, you fucking idiots. Disney owns both. They're getting money from both of them.

This and this :lol:  People are acting like they're from different studios or something. :rofl: 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

The sense of scale here is like those infographics your wannabe science nerd friend posts on Facebook where they compare the size of the planets to show you how big Jupiter is, and then suddenly zoom out to show the Sun.

TFA is practically a vertical line there.  Just crazy.

I wouldn't know, I boykott facebook. But I think I understand what you mean ;)

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Lol, you fucking idiots. Disney owns both. They're getting money from both of them.

Do you really think even one of the posters here doesn't know that?

Jumping to obvious false conclusions without having enquired beforehand the real situation... makes your post what?

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I wouldn't know, I boykott facebook. But I think I understand what you mean ;)

Do you really think even one of the posters here doesn't know that?

Jumping to obvious false conclusions without having enquired beforehand the real situation... makes your post what?

Well. Somebody mentioned it earlier on this thread. Stop being such a clown.

2 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

That name doesn't sound lime a comedy at all. In Brazil right now se have Até que a sorte nos separe 3.

I know, but it is a comedy and it is really funny actually. But the name isn't good, yeah.

I had no idea Até Que a Sorte Nos Separe was already in his 3rd movie. Never saw any of them but a few years ago I visited Cinepop a lot and I remember reading about the first one :lol:

6 minutes ago, blackspider said:

If it repeats last weekends model, then Saturday increase will be more subdued and then followed with a beastly Sunday drop. I'm thinking it will hit 57-58m today and then have a 10% drop Sunday to around 52m so 159-160m for the weekend.

Word.  I think this is the most likely outcome.

That said, the Christmas Eve hold and soft Christmas Day bump are interesting.  They suggest to me that there is a small possibility that TFA is basically maximizing revenue from its supply of showings.  Christmas Eve tapered off because it ran out of shows in the evening, and Christmas Day saw only a "mild" bump because of constrained supply in the morning.  That's a very rose colored theory, but it does somewhat explain the movie's odd behavior (at least in comparison to Avatar) over those two days.

• Like 2