druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

2 minutes ago, Vadermort said:

Some of them here predict 1.2bn-1.5bn overseas.... which is highly impossible.

Since TFA is not well known outside of USA and UK, a conservative prediction should be around 850m.....if it does that then it would be amazing.

Nah. It'll be at $750m OS by the end of next weekend. At least. $1bn OS is assured. China is the question mark at the moment but this should be able to get to around $1.3bn OS (hopefully). Here in the UK it's going to end up at close to $200m at current pace (prob $180 - $190m).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, druv10 Maul said:

It's going to be around 600M OS and after NY weekend, around 800-850M and add in China, 1.2B OS is a good target. 

China is the real wild card here, if it does 250m-300m there (unlikely) then OS will roar past the billion mark. 

2 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Not even Nolan can stop this train. Hell, Nolan is probably in the train as well :lol: 

Nolan is on da train...accepting his fate, until the Star Wars train inevitably comes to a halt.

E176HAg.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, solaris said:

Nah. It'll be at $750m OS by the end of next weekend. At least. $1bn OS is assured. China is the question mark at the moment but this should be able to get to around $1.3bn OS (hopefully). Here in the UK it's going to end up at close to $200m at current pace (prob $180 - $190m).

Any prediction on saturday collections OS? 

7 minutes ago, spazz91 said:

According to BOM Snow White sold 109m tickets. This total would put SW7 somewhere around $850-875m. Crazily that seems pretty locked up at this point.

109m tickets would be over $1 billion. Average price is higher than the national average due to 3D, IMAX, and PLF. 

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

I hope it does well in China, but most think it will get beaten with ease by KFP3 over there. 

Some say 100-150m. Theatre owners are expecting 200m+

Kfp3 is expecting a huge opening but has several big openers 8 days later to compete with for CNY. Hard to say where that lands.

If the action is right it could explode with WOM but Hong Kong not showing promising numbers. Mainland doesn't always follow HK though

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vadermort said:

Some of them here predict 1.2bn-1.5bn overseas.... which is highly impossible.

Since TFA is not well known outside of USA and UK, a conservative prediction should be around 850m.....if it does that then it would be amazing.

Thats not true. Maybe the hype is inmense in the US and the UK, but this is huge in Australia, New Zealand, Europe and Latin America.

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

I really must be one of the few people who loved the origins of Vader and everything else about the prequels. 

"Everything else"? Jar Jar? Jake Lloyd? Hayden Christensen? The "romance"?  I really like Ep 3, but having watched the marathon last week, I grew no new appreciation for Eps 1 and 2. A few cool scenes wrapped around a lot of barely watchable nonsense.  The battle droids were almost as annoying as Jar Jar, for instance. Hey, I'm glad you like 'em, and they're certainly not the worst movies I've ever seen, but IMO, there's more wrong than right about the prequels, especially 1 and 2.  Diff'rent strokes, though...

16 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Daddy's Home's breakout (of this scale) is really surprising and a movie making 50m on its second friday is very exciting too but the most surprising, incredible performance of the weekend, something I really can't wrap my head around, is Hateful 8. The more I think about it the more impressive it keeps getting. TBH, I didn't really ever pay much attention to how limited releases play out and things like what PTA is impressive for what theaters before I had to go into it due to the winter game. But now that I do have an idea of these things this number for hateful 8 really blows my mind. As others have already pointed out -

A 50k+ average for 100 theaters is already such a crazy thing. And for a violent western film to get it inspite of a number of disadvantages is really huge.

It is big.  No doubt a fantastic start.  But limited releases are very tricky.  Granted they're usually between 4-15 theaters in the NY/LA area but still even with just a 100 it's much, much easier to have a huge PTA.  And it doesn't always translate.  Steve Jobs is probably the most recent example.  I don't think H8 will suffer the same fate, Tarentino films have done really well on a large scale but just know that most of the time you can take limited releases with a grain of salt.  

• Like 2

That number for Daddy's Home is probably the most astonished I've been by a box office number in years. That's fucking astounding. It might do 50 million, depending on whether it performs more like a family film. Insanity. 

Also, that's a good number for Point Break, honestly. 12 million is fine considering the massive amounts of competition, especially directly from Star Wars. It'll probably be able to leg to 30+ cuz of the holidays. Honestly, had this released on a random weekend in March, do we honestly think it would have done any better than 12/30? So the idea being bandied that releasing it in the holidays instead of dumping it on some empty February weekend hurt the movie doesn't track with me?

Also, H8ful was paccckkked yesterday when I saw it. It's gonna keep doing gangbusters- crowd ate it up. 

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Man, THE BIG SHORT is really good. At least, the 80-90% of it I saw before Tele Jr decided to wake up last night.

I'm super excited for that one, right up my alley as an Econ major. And I took a class that more or less morphed into the downfall of the stock market in 2008 so we should be speaking the same language.

• Like 2