#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

About to watch Jorge's 1 hour interview with Charlie Rose.  Got a bottle of wine at the ready.

He's not gonna top that white slavers comment, he may as well pack it up

1). Star Wars: The Force Awakens (DIS), 4,134 theaters (0) / $34.75M-$35.3M Fri. (-28% to -30%) / 3-day cume: $94M-$95M (-37% to -38%) / Total cume:$744.8M-$746M Wk 3

2). Daddy’s Home (PAR), 3,342 theaters (+71) / $11.3M-$11.8M Fri. (-25% to -28%)/ 3-day cume: $29.3M-$30.6M (-21% to -24%)/ Total cume: $95M / Wk 2

3.) The Hateful Eight (TWC), 2,474 theaters (+2,374) / $6M-$6.3M Fri. (+215% to 232%) / 3-day cume: $16.2M-$17.4M (+251% to +278%)/ Total cume: $30.8M / Wk 2

4/5). Alvin & The Chipmunks: The Road Chip (FOX), 3,474 theaters (-231) / $4.5M-$4.6M Fri. (-7%)/ 3-day cume: $12.28M-12.35M (-6%) / Total cume: $68M / Wk 3

Sisters (UNI), 2,978 theaters (+16) / $4.6M-$4.8M Fri. (-1% to +4%) / 3-day cume: $12.1M-$12.5M (-12% to -15%) / Total cume: $61.5M / Wk 3

6). Joy (FOX), 2,924 theaters (+28) / $4M-$4.1M Fri.(-40% to -42%) / 3-day cume: $10.4M-$11.1M ( -35% to -39%) / Total cume: $39M / Wk 2

7). The Big Short (PAR), 1,588 theaters (+3) / $3.36M Fri.(-11%) / 3-day cume: $8.7M-$9.3M (-12% to -17%) / Total cume: $32.7M-$33.3M / Wk 4

8). Concussion (SONY), 2,841 theaters / $3M-$3.2M Fri. (-25% to -29%) / 3-day cume: $7.9M-$8.4M (-20% to -25%) / Total cume: $25.8M / Wk 2

9). Point Break (WB), 2,910 theaters / $2.68M-$2.75M Fri. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $6.75M-$7.4M (-25% to -31%) / Total cume: $22.3M-$23M / Wk 2

10) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 (LGF), 1,485 theaters (-328) /  $1.79M Fri. (+19%) /3-day cume: $4.7M (-11%)/ Total cume: $274.3M / Wk 7

11). Good Dinosaur (Disney), 1,735 theaters (-252) / $1.57M Fri. (+62%) / 3-day cume: $4.3M (+15%)/ Total cume: $115.1M / Wk 6

12). Creed (MGM/New Line/WB), 1,518 theaters (0) / $1.4M Fri. (-9%) / 3-day cume: $3.7M (-16%) / Total cume: $103.3M / Wk 6

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I am so confused at what people here expected Joy to do.  'It's only going to make 80 or so'.  Shit, for the kind of film this is thats great.  I know the budget is 60, but this was never going to make much more than 100, no matter the budget.  It was a really tough sell, that got mild reviews and a crowded market.  No other actress could have gotten the film to half that in a similar situation.  Did people really expect a story about the Miracle Mop to put up American Hustle numbers!?

Um yes. Check the Joy thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Tell me something: Why do you despise JURASSIC WORLD so much???? I mean, what more could you ask for in a movie about rampaging dinosaurs running amok with more carange than in previous JURASSIC PARK movies??? And please, spare me the whole acting and dialogue nonsense cause no one goes to see a movie like this for that criteria???

Because it was stupid. Stupid in every way. 

• Like 5

Despite this movie's mind-blowingly huge boxoffice, everyone still thinks its disappointing lol. Still, it would be amazing if it could get a 100M 3rd weekend and end up with 1B domestic.

Although for some reason, this movie keeps missing out on milestones by a tiny little bit. At this rate it'll have a 99.7M weekend and a 999M domestic final.:D

By the way, I heard some people say that some studios "fudge" or falsify numbers, but how do they do that? Subtract money from later in the run of the same movie? Subtract money from another one of their own movies? Or just pretend the movie made more money than it actually did? Like where does the extra money added come from.

• Like 3

From being a here a short time I have concluded that Rth either has a really large sample (and thus has alot of connections). Or he is freaking amazing a extrapolating a smaller sample that he has access to. 

You just aren't that accurate without one of the 2 being true. 

Edited by tokila

4 minutes ago, tokila said:

From being a here a short time I have concluded that Rth either has a really large sample (and thus has alot of connections). Or he is freaking amazing a extrapolating a smaller sample that he has access to. 

You just aren't that accurate without one of the 2 being true. 

It's simple....... Rth is God!

1 minute ago, BATMOOSEMIKE said:

Despite this movie's mind-blowingly huge boxoffice, everyone still thinks its disappointing lol. Still, it would be amazing if it could get a 100M 3rd weekend and end up with 1B domestic.

Although for some reason, this movie keeps missing out on milestones by a tiny little bit. At this rate it'll have a 99.7M weekend and a 999M domestic final.:D

By the way, I heard some people say that some studios "fudge" or falsify numbers, but how do they do that? Subtract money from later in the run of the same movie? Subtract money from another one of their own movies? Or just pretend the movie made more money than it actually did? Like where does the extra money added come from.

They'll just "borrow" from the next day or next few days. The studios monitor each other, and everyone has access to the same numbers, so if a studio tries to do it too dramatically, the other studios can cry foul (or, more likely, they'll leak some of their more accurate numbers to Deadline or Variety and expose the fudging).

Just now, tokila said:

From being a here a short time I have concluded that Rth either has a really large sample (and thus has alot of connections). Or he is freaking amazing a extrapolating a smaller sample that he has access. 

Rth *is* the connections. I'm being serious, he does not have sources that give him estimates, he has access to the real-time raw data and extrapolates from that, same as the other sources that give estimates to Deadline or Variety. Plus he's been doing this for quite awhile, and really knows what he's doing. Why, you might even think he  could make a career doing this. :ph34r: 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

The truth is starting Monday to next Sunday will decide where this is going to end up. Should be able to narrow the range considerably.

Yep, after school goes back in session over the weekdays this week, and a non-holdiay weekend next weekend, we should have a decent idea of TFA's finishing range by next Sunday.

Enjoy this weekend folks, it might be the last weekend that the $1B dream is still fully alive. Though my guess is that 1B will still be realistic next Sunday.

• Like 5

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Rth *is* the connections. I'm being serious, he does not have sources that give him estimates, he has access to the real-time raw data and extrapolates from that, same as the other sources that give estimates to Deadline or Variety. Plus he's been doing this for quite awhile, and really knows what he's doing. Why, you might even think he  could make a career doing this. :ph34r: 

right that was category 1. I guess should have said connections/access. Either way, he has data and he knows how to use it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RyneOh1040 said:

I am so confused at what people here expected Joy to do.  'It's only going to make 80 or so'.  Shit, for the kind of film this is thats great.  I know the budget is 60, but this was never going to make much more than 100, no matter the budget.  It was a really tough sell, that got mild reviews and a crowded market.  No other actress could have gotten the film to half that in a similar situation.  Did people really expect a story about the Miracle Mop to put up American Hustle numbers!?

The problem is that you're thinking about the plot in its most simple form. This movie wasn't sold as being about the Miracle Mop, it was sold as being about a woman down on her luck with financial and family problems who manages to pull herself out of those problems and becomes a success, made even better by it being a true story. This is a very easy sell, particularly since its key demographic is the one receiving the least attention during the holidays.

The fact is that the movie had a good OD, exactly what you'd expect and it seemed like it was on track to easily do over 100M, maybe even do more than American Hustle. It's just that the movie has had weak legs, something that was noticeable on its second day when it had an usually steep drop.

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 1