Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

10 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

In terms of real world importance the big short is way more important what happened in that movie impacted and will impact the world for years if not decades to come it has shaped global politics and life. Spotlight while chilling and important is relatively old news and small sclae compared

"relatively small scale" - did you watch any of the movie? The whole point is that this is an issue that was way bigger than anyone could possibly have imagined, that it was taking place everywhere and being covered up from the very top of the church.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Uh, the impact of Spotlight's events certainly had a global impact. Did you not see the movie, and if you did, did you leave right before the end credits started where it listed every single state and country that came forward after the Boston Globe story was published?

This is awful discusion both were truly awful events  but a few thousands kids to millions upon millions of ruined lives ruined governments destabilized world. In places in Europe there is still around 30% unemployment people lost everything and its still the number 1 issue politically world wide our current election is still being run off its aftermath it was a history defining event similar to the great depression the scale is significantly bigger. That's not to say spotlight shouldn't have one or that the catholic church shouldn't be forced to deal with these issues but the overall importance is key especially since almost nothing has changed since 2008 while a lot has changed in the catholic world since 2001

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can't decide if Sam Smith's or Alicia Vikander's win is the worst of the night. I guess I'll go with Smith's since I'll just pretend Vikander won for Ex Machina instead.

It's not as if Alicia Vikander was terrible though. I thought Danish Girl was pretty crap, and she was evidently in the wrong category, but you can't really complain that her performance won.

1 minute ago, JohnnY said:

i gotta ask this

are you guys still sure that the oscar ceremony is made by old straight cis white males who are not considerate of minorities?

just say yes or no

Whatever the most stereotypically square gender/age/race/ethnicity is, so it's easier to make sense of my favorite movies getting snubbed

1 minute ago, JohnnY said:

i gotta ask this

are you guys still sure that the oscar ceremony is made by old straight cis white males who are not considerate of minorities?

just say yes or no

The problem isn't the Academy, it's the actual film industry itself. If they want to solve the diversity problem, then they should start spreading the wealth around by giving different people opportunities instead of just saddling them with race-typical jobs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Total Treecall said:

It's not as if Alicia Vikander was terrible though. I thought Danish Girl was pretty crap, and she was evidently in the wrong category, but you can't really complain that her performance won.

Also she cockblocked Rooney, so no way that win compares to Smith and Innaritu.