Travod

Oscars Discussion - Nominations in First Post - Red Carpet Time!

I 'm not really ok with the nominations but i rarely am anyway!The pleasant and unpleasant choices from the Oscar nominationsThe GoodHugo with 10 nominationsA Separation getting a screenplay nomNick Nolte for WarriorGary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier SpyThe Bad50/50 snubDragon Tattoo, Reznor and Fincer snubFassbender for Shame snubAlbert Brooks for Drive snubTintin for best animation snubExtremely Loud getting nominated for Best PictureThe Help for Best Picture

Ehhh, I don't really care one way or another.These award shows are all so political in one way or another, so to expect an unbiased awards show is not really realistic, IMO.As a result, I generally don't give a rat's ass what these organizations have to say pertaining to the year's "top films", and just enjoy film from a subjective standpoint. Trust me guys, it's not worth the stress.

• Like 1

Some interesting facts in light of the announcements:War Horse is the first movie since Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers to be nominated in Best Picture without any acting, writing or directing nominations.Kenneth Branagh received his fifth nomination, all of them in different categories (Actor, Director, Short Film, Screenplay, and now Supporting Actor).The Help becomes the 33th movie to score two best supporting actress nominations. This is the 4th consecutive year this happened.Max von Sydow is now the oldest nominee for best supporting actor (Plummer is now the 3rd oldest surpassing Ralph Richardson). There is an age difference of nearly 55 years between him and fellow-nominee Jonah Hill.Woody Allen and Martin Scorsese are now in joint 3rd place for most directing nominations (7).Glenn Close is now in 3rd place of having the most acting nominations without a win and in joint first place of actresses with most acting noms/no win (6).Meryl Streep continues to have the most acting nominations (17) and the most for best actress (14).

Edited by 4815162342

My reaction: :DHugo leads the nominations with 11 over The Artist's 10.Gary Oldman gets an actor nomination. I haven't seen TTSS but I'm sure his performance is great.Rooney Mara gets an actress nomination.Kung Fu Panda 2 gets an animation nod over Cars 2.Dragon Tattoo gets nominated for a few technical awardsJohn Williams gets 2 nominations in score.Man Or Muppet is nominated (my favourite song from The Muppets) :angry:Extremely Lousy and Incredibly Baity gets nominated for BP.Drive got totally snubbed except for the one nomination it got in sound editing.Where is 50/50? Really deserved a screenplay nod.No Tintin in best animated feature.No Fincher, No Reznor and Ross.Transfomers 3 ties with DH2 in nominations.Bleh.

My take on the noms:I realize that I don't have a popular opinion of a lot of films that are critically acclaimed and I'm sorry about that, but if you don't like what I have to say usually, then you might want to stop reading now. I'm angry about this years noms. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. For years the crowd pleasing films get ignored. This year is no exception. Why are films like Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Horrible Bosses and Crazy Stupid Love not worthy of recognition. What about 50/50, Our Idiot Brother, Super 8? Besides acting noms, how is My Week With Marilyn not more recognized. The list of best picture nominees is so sickening that I'd be happier with DH2 getting a nom over some of the garbage out there this year. And of course the total snub of Dragon Tattoo is infuriating. The Artist? A silent film about a silent film era. Good film? Ok, I'll give you that. Let's say it's a good film. But how is this best picture material? How is this more relevant and more important and better made than films like some of the films mentioned above? It's a gimmick and even though it might be a good film, it is not deserving of the recogniton bestowed upon it. 10 nominations is a farce.Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a film about 911. They will try to tell you otherwise, but make no mistake about it, it is. It has Max Von Sydow as a mute by choice and it has images of people falling out of the Towers. They denouement of the film is like a slap in the face. I renders the movie pointless. But yet this propoganda type film gets a nomination for best picture over much more deserving films? This is one of the most egregious nominations in Oscar history. It is not a good film in any capacity. The Descendants is a fine film. Fine. As in adequate. There is nothing fantastic about it. And yet it is nominated 5 times. The only nomination it deserved, imo, it was snubbed for and that is because they had to put Berenice Bejo in this category even though she should have been in the best actress category. Shailene Woodley was brilliant in the film as Clooney's rebelious daughter and she was ignored. This is just another film that Clooney has the academy by the balls with and it is not deserving imo. The Help I have no issues with.Hugo? Another film about the 20's (like the Artist) that is about movies (like the Artist). It's a good movie and I can see why it was nominated for best picture, but again, is it really that great of a movie? No, it's not. It's fine, but it's really just another film to pander to the troglodytes of the academy, many of them who were born in the Mezozoic Era, so they remember the 20's like I remember the 80s. Midnight in Paris: I'm not the biggest Woody guy, but they got this one right. This is his best film since Crimes and Misdemeanors imo. Moneyball. Fine. Again, fine. Nothing outstanding.The Tree of Life I will never see.Warhorse: haven't seen.I'm really bummed that Leo got ignored for J Edgar. Like Iron Lady, not a great film but a fantastic performance. I'm thrilled that Nolte got nominated and I hope there is an upset this year and Oldman wins best actor. He should have been nominated a dozen times so far. KFP2 for best animated film? Over Tintin? Where's the barf bag?This years nominations are a disgrace and it proves once and for all that this is not and never has been about what is truly the best film of the year. This is more about politics, nepotism, friendship and a fondness of what it was like to be in the 1920's, you know that roaring time when the stock market crashed and killed millions of people.I won't be watching this year.

The Good-Hugo and The Artist deserve all of their nominations-Tinker Tailor got Actor/Screenplay after all-Indie films getting plenty of love in the Animation category-The Muppets got in for best song (Seriously, with two noms, it better win.)-As fishnets would call it, "Maramania" makes it.The Bad-Woodley deserved BSA more than McCarthy-Super 8 completely shut out-Drive only gets one nod-50/50 misses a screenplay nod-Tree Of Life was an admirable effort, but Best Picture is pushing it.-No Albert Brooks.-And of course....Extremely Pretentious and Incredibly Manipulative.AKA: Nothing that hasn't been said before.

Edited by Spaghetti

I don't mind people complaining about films they've seen being nominated/not nominated for something, but if you haven't seen it then stop bitching about it. Who cares if the critics hate it or love it, have your own opinion. Anyway, my reactions:

Good:

Oldman, Tinker Tailor score

Mara nomination

Tree of Life best pic nomination

Nolte for Warrior

Ides of March screenplay

Bad:

Dragon Tattoo directing, picture, score snubs

No Desplat nominations on one of his best years

Fassbender snub

Jonah Hill (not worthy of a nom, but good performance)

McCarthy (see above)

Simple surprises (don't care either way):

Von Sydow

EL&IC picture

A Separation screenplay

Malick director

You people should congratulate me on predicting that Oldman would push out Fass. I was calling it and eevryone was,like, not gonna happen, relax, your Fass is save. Well, looks like jealousy over his golf club gave Oldman wind in the back.

Edited by fishnets

You people should congratulate me on predicting that Oldman would push out Fass. I was calling it and eevryone was,like, not gonna happen, relax, your Fass is save. Well, looks like jealousy over his golf club gave Oldman wind in the back.

When did you say that? Last week you said the Oscar 5 would match up with BAFTA 5.

My take on the noms:I realize that I don't have a popular opinion of a lot of films that are critically acclaimed and I'm sorry about that, but if you don't like what I have to say usually, then you might want to stop reading now. I'm angry about this years noms. I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. For years the crowd pleasing films get ignored. This year is no exception. Why are films like Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Horrible Bosses and Crazy Stupid Love not worthy of recognition.

I'm all for the oscars being more populist (or at least having the guts to award daring, good indie films) but HB is unmitigated garbage and CSL is painfully derivative. Blame the Academy for many things, but not for ignoring those two.