kayumanggi

PATRIOT'S DAY | 12.21.16 | Lionsgate | final gross ● 31.89 M

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm sure @Nutella of Arabia is happy that his nemesis has been reduced to playing a supportive wife, most of whose scenes will likely be on the phone. The CWCU (Concerned Wife Cinematic Universe).

From LA Times 

Why are so many gifted actresses relegated to 'wife on the phone' roles in heroic male movies?

In the special skills section of every actress’ resume, she ought to consider adding the phrase “gives good phone.” That’s because even the most gifted women in Hollywood are all too often called on to deliver a prosaic phone scene — worrying about, cheering on, pining for —  their men.

This month two variants of the worried phoner are in theaters —  Laura Linney as Lorraine in “Sully,” Clint Eastwood’s biographical drama starring Tom Hanks as airline pilot Sully Sullenberger, and Kate Hudson as Felicia in Peter Berg’s thriller “Deepwater Horizon,” starring Mark Wahlberg as an offshore oil rig worker.

the similarities between their dialogue reveal the characters’ limited narrative function, as spokespersons for their spouses’ bravery.

“Sully, watch the news. You’re a hero!” Lorraine tells Hanks’ calm and competent Sully.

“You’re a good man, Mike,” Felicia tells Wahlberg’s calm and competent Mike.

An aw-shucks guy could hardly ask for better publicists. 

At their worst, phone scenes are a wasteful use of a great actress, like revving up a Maserati just to drive to the corner market. Linney has three Oscar nominations, three Tony nominations and three Emmy Awards. She could probably make a telemarketer look interesting. She also has a deep affection for Eastwood, who cast her in his 2003 mystery “Mystic River” and in his 1997 political thriller “Absolute Power,” and she would clearly play a hero’s wife for him any time.

An actress needs to work, and she may as well work for an icon.

Women who want to play layered characters on a big screen have fewer choices today, and many have migrated to television instead.  

And if the cinematic equivalent of “I just called to say I love you” is what awaits them in movies, who could blame them?

uDebIlg.jpg

Pk1VIqi.jpg

zMADnnk.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe it's an inevitability as we get older but I don't think I like this trend of movies based on real events that I clearly remember happening in my adult life. It also doesn't help that there are so many (Sully, Deepwater Horizen, this) coming out in a short period of time. 

As for this movie, it's going to be tough for me. I was working a half mile from the bombs when they went off. I was ultimately safe, but the terror I felt amid the chaos of that day was real. I remember the surrealness of going back to work two days after the bombings (and two days before they caught the suspect) walking to the office in an area typically occupied by young professionals and coffee shops and seeing heavily armed military personnel patrolling the streets. 

I remember staying up all night and watching the police shoot it out with the two suspects on the news like it was some action movie. I remember being essentially locked indoors the next day as the manhunt for the remaining living suspect took place. 

The week was scary and surreal and 3 and a half years later I still remember every detail. Having said that, I remember the heroism and the pride I felt to be born and raised in Massachusetts. I still feel that pride today and I think the movie will do a good job touching that emotion. I'll probably end up seeing it, but I know I don't have to because I'll never forget anything from that week. 

Fun fact: I'm friends with the daughter of the police officer Mark Whalberg's character is loosely based on. 

• Like 2

On 07/10/2016 at 3:30 PM, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Minnesota is getting Tim Horton's but our biggest coffee chain is Caribou Coffee 

I love how Starbucks pretty completely failed here.  There were once almost 100 Starbucks but now there's only 22.