Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

1 minute ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Who is saying this is the best in the series? It has the weakest score on RT and metacritic. 

Also from the point of view of someone working in a cinema, everything I heard from customers on opening weekend was negative.

The critics:

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

From Rotten Tomatoes:

Critics Consensus: Allegiant improves on previous entries in The Divergent Series

When you're not paraphrasing the consensus doesn't sound as flattering. 

Critic Consensus: Allegiant improves on previous entries in The Divergent Series on a few superficial levels, but they aren't enough to counteract a sense of growing boredom with a franchise that's gone on too long.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I took it from the Variety article, I'm not trying to spin anything.

And there's no reason to expect a similar multiple than Insurgent's. Critics are saying this is the best movie in the series, so the word of mouth will be better.

You obviously know what the critics said...but I will play along - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/franchise/divergent/

(critics % user %)

11% 50%
Critics Consensus: Allegiant improves on previous entries in The Divergent Series on a few superficial levels, but they aren't enough to counteract a sense of growing boredom with a franchise that's gone on too long.

Insurgent (2015)
29% 60%
Critics Consensus: Shailene Woodley gives it her all, but Insurgent is still a resounding step back for a franchise struggling to distinguish itself from the dystopian YA crowd.

Divergent (2014)

40% 70%
Critics Consensus: With an adherence to YA formula that undercuts its individualistic message, Divergent opens its planned trilogy in disappointingly predictable fashion.

Not that critics are gonna affect the bo, but because you claim they will, I am pointing out what the critics said.

8 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

You seem to over perform (to varying extents) with every movie. I think your number work needs refining. ;)

Haha not always. Sometimes certainly but sometimes we go well under. Here are some recent numbers that I have on my phone here. It's just usually YA films that do better than the equivalent at the domestic box office. 

Daddy's Home: $91.5M (did well but nothing out of this world)

Deadpool: $306.0M (can't argue with that, my manager certainly was pleased)

Revenant: $315.9M (okay, MASSIVE over performance there)

The Boy: $18.2M (yikes)

Risen: $29.7M (pretty similar to domestic take)

Gods of Egypt: $28M (close)

Star Wars: $1B+ (probably closer to 1.4B or something, this thing was an utter monster)

Jurassic World: $602M

Avengers 2: $356.9M 

Ant-Man: $95M (give or take, it just wasn't marvel's best year here)

These are from our computer, and while yes there are certainly movies that will always over perform (for example, I could always use a different number when calculating YA films or animated movies for Saturday or Sunday numbers) there are also a lot of movies that come very close or even under the number, so I've so far just stuck with what I've been using, because if I use a different calculation for different types of movies than I'm not able to pull out certain comparisons like "YA and animation do well" for example :)

• Like 2

Not to hate, but this sadly satisfying. Lionsgate had a great property in the Hunger Games and then got lazy and greedy. First they extend the HGs to four films and then they immediately produce a lesser copy cat series in Divergent that dilutes the novelty of the HGs series. Inevitably people got tired of this brand of film, and the cash grab fell apart. They had a good thing and screwed it up. They should never have green lit the Divergent series so soon.  

Edited by straggler

It's not really that hard for a studio to make a good movie for young-adults...that:

A. Offers something good and is fun, not unnecessarily dull.

B. Doesn't go overbudget with their films with CGI-elements. You can make CGI look good....but don't spend too much money...otherwise your movie bombs.

The Fault in our Stars & the Harry Potter-films, for example.

@Kung Fu Panda Tree some of those numbers for totals I have are rounded because I got lazy when calculating not counting to the nearest person with some days but sometimes just the nearest 10 for each cause it's easier to read. So for a few of hose bigger numbers, take an uncertainty of 5-6M.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

When you're not paraphrasing the consensus doesn't sound as flattering. 

Allegiant improves on previous entries in The Divergent Series on a few superficial levels, but they aren't enough to counteract a sense of growing boredom with a franchise that's gone on too long.

<after quote-mining>

"Allegiant improves on previous entries in The Divergent Series on a few superficial levels, but they aren't enough to counteract a sense of growing boredom with a franchise that's gone on too long."

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I'm getting the distinct feeling Napoleon is either A.) having a game with us or B.) out of their mind.

After three seconds of contemplation, I decided it's irrelevant. Being either one is equally unfortunate. 

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

After three seconds of contemplation, I decided it's irrelevant. Being either one is equally unfortunate. 

But! can prove entertaining as long as one prevents oneself from getting involved.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

I'm getting the distinct feeling Napoleon is either A.) having a game with us or B.) out of their mind.

I just literally quoted what Lionsgate is saying in the tv spots. I thought it was true, I didn't know they were allowed to lie in advertisement. 

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What are we looking at? 50%??? :ohmygod:

It's down 43% in previews so 50% over ow could happen (~26m).

Too early but 70m dom might not happen.

• Like 1