Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Lionsgate noted that the $2.35 million figure is the second highest Thursday preview gross of 2016.

And to think, next week it's going to have the ninth-best drop in the top 10!*

*Probably, could be 10th-best for all we know.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I wonder how much the next one will fall. There's not gonna be a finale factor increase for that one, that's for sure.

If they make it, that is.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just shoot an epilogue and stick it on the DVD in the event that this ends on a cliffhanger and just call it a day, making everyone finally freed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

If they make it, that is.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just shoot an epilogue and stick it on the DVD in the event that this ends on a cliffhanger and just call it a day, making everyone finally freed.

Like I said everything's wrapped up. There's no hijacked Peeta esque moment leaving the audience waiting for Part 2. 

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Wouldn't have made a difference, it's losing over 2 3rds of its showtimes at my 15 screen around the corner today. 

I was talking about America, not the UK.

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Hey now, go easier, it's not the lowest grossing Lionsgate film to ever come out.

You're right. The lowest grossing Lionsgate-film to ever come out is......"The Empty Mirror"...back in 1999......with a petty $4,688.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Lionsgate noted that the $2.35 million figure is the second highest Thursday preview gross of 2016.

This is very similar to quote-mining. Trying to put a positive spin on something very disappointing.

30m ow will require a 2.5x to do 75m.

The multiplier of last film itself dropped to 2.49x.

Even 70m looks tough.

If you really wanna put a misleading positive spin, call it a flop instead of a disaster.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Divergent 2 didn't look that profitable and this might only make half that.

Will LG cancel Divergent 4?

Has that ever happened before, a studio refusing to finish a series of book adaptations this far in?

They have made all of the books into movies. The last movie apparently would be something completely new not from the page for the most part.

They made some dumb choices with this series. After the second one dipped they could've just made it one movie and called it a day, but with this one looking to both severely underperform and it sounding like no one other than perhaps the most faithful will be left wanting to see one more movie by the end of this film, they just look foolish now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

This is not opening above $30m, the same previews multiple of Insurgent would bring $29m, since this is going to be a bit more front loaded than this one, I'm going with $28m for now, exactly what I predicted 

Kudos on that prediction!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

This is very similar to quote-mining. Trying to put a positive spin on something very disappointing.

30m ow will require a 2.5x to do 75m.

The multiplier of last film itself dropped to 2.49x.

Even 70m looks tough.

If you really wanna put a misleading positive spin, call it a flop instead of a disaster.

I took it from the Variety article, I'm not trying to spin anything.

And there's no reason to expect a similar multiple than Insurgent's. Critics are saying this is the best movie in the series, so the word of mouth will be better.

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Wow, and I thought my theatre was dead last night! Turns out we did better than general !

You seem to over perform (to varying extents) with every movie. I think your number work needs refining. ;)

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

And there's no reason to expect a similar multiple than Insurgent's. Critics are saying this is the best movie in the series, so the word of mouth will be better.

Crack is whack.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Who is saying this is the best in the series? It has the weakest score on RT and metacritic. 

Also from the point of view of someone working in a cinema, everything I heard from customers on opening weekend was negative.