CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This movie is only making hundreds of millions of dollars but not record breaking hundreds of millions of dollars? Cancel everything and call back the team behind Green Lantern to reboot the DC Universe.

:sleep:

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I disagree. BvS is the first time we see the most popular heroes together. JLA will be more like Avengers 2, where they added that... who was she... Scarlett and that dude.

you are wrong. BvS is no team up movie its a VS movie. So yeah JL will the TA where we get to see these characters up agaisnt a huge DC villain. And there are many that wanna see Flash, Aquaman (especially with Momoa's casting) The likely introduction of the NEW GL, Yeah Cyborg i really do not care about he is like Hawkeye,Black Widow of TA which nobody really care about. But the other JL members yeah a lot of people are fans of those.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I would consider it pretty crazy to say that.

Only if James Cameron would have directed it. ;)

I want you to draw me wearing the lasso...only the lasso

• Like 2

So after seeing Zootopia's expected drop, I was curious to see how high Deadpool's drop would be and using Deadline's numbers it would be 43%. I thought it would be in the 60s but according to Deadline nope. I just thought with all the hype surrounding BvS that it would kill the other movie in the same genre. 

Edited by Nova

10 minutes ago, Baumer said:

So once again the last few pages shows how numb we are now to huge openingsbut not hitting 200 mill. 

Fuck, people.

Well, when a studio dumps $400 million into the production and marketing of a movie, openings are going to be looked at on a relative scale.  The reality is with inflated ticket prices, 3D, IMAX, 4,000+ locations it isn't any wonder why people are looking at $165m openings as fairly standard for a movie like this.  

It isn't about numb, it is about it being the new and somewhat fairly expected normal.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Baumer said:

So once again the last few pages shows how numb we are now to huge openingsbut not hitting 200 mill. 

Fuck, people.

No, not 200. But not hitting 190 180 175m is underwhelming for this movie. ;)

2 hours ago, a2knet said:

160-170m for this movie does disappoint me though does not sadden me. With today's ticket prices and 3D and IMAX and previews...it does bug me. How many admissions does a 165m or even a 170m ow translate to today?

This was no normal movie. B, S and WW were appearing for the 1st time. I earlier this week pointed out to those expecting 200m that only had Nolan-Bale returned, those huge expectations were reasonable. But in that case, with Sup, WW and Nolan-Bale in 3D (let's assume 3D for the sake of it), less than AOU would have disappointed me. Without them and a new director-actor handling Batman and the good will of TDK trilogy not transferable here completely, I thought 175m was not too demanding. And what's wrong with raising expectations withing reason after a few films have done huge numbers - we have seen AOU, JW, TA, IM3 do 175-210m (I will leave SW7 out as it was something else). So that many admissions are possible today. Despite no Nolan-Bale, with 6pm previews, uniqueness of the event, 3D and ticket prices, 175m was fair. Not everyone will admit this I think, but deep down many are feeling it.

My last prediction was 177.5m. Rolling Thunder's tracking was 178m.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I dont know I think Saturday it could drop a decent amount in markets that had Good Friday Yesterday.

Around here in local theaters business seems down from Yesterday which makes sense as it was Good Friday.

Meaning the 10am show was full Friday and now its like half full today.

Thinking 

48 million Saturday.

Only 24 pages to wake up to? I am disappointed BOT. Anyways, my derby is fucked. Insane hold for Deadpool, Passion is honestly in play (I just woke up so don't quote me on that). Harsh drop for LHF. LOL ALLEGIANT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Well, when a studio dumps $400 million into the production and marketing of a movie, openings are going to be looked at on a relative scale.  The reality is with inflated ticket prices, 3D, IMAX, 4,000+ locations it isn't any wonder why people are looking at $165m openings as fairly standard for a movie like this.  

It isn't about numb, it is about it being the new and somewhat fairly expected normal.  

Exactly. $165M isn't a bad number but it's not making me fall out of my chair saying "OMG!!" But that's because I'm fully analyzing the situation that BVS is in. This isn't some low-key movie. They've been hyping this thing up for a very long time and when some tickets cost north of $20, sorry I'm not freaking out over a movie containing both Batman and Superman opening at $165M. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Only 24 pages to wake up to? I am disappointed BOT. Anyways, my derby is fucked. Insane hold for Deadpool, Passion is honestly in play (I just woke up so don't quote me on that). Harsh drop for LHF. LOL ALLEGIANT.

Glad I'm not the only one who woke up and saw Deadpool's hold and was like "WHAT," but yea I loled at allegiant. What a box office stud! 

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

I disagree. BvS is the first time we see the most popular heroes together. JLA will be more like Avengers 2, where they added that... who was she... Scarlett and that dude.

But in BvS

they didn't actually team up though... There're like...4 scenes total when 2 of them were in the same screen and then maybe a scene when there're 3 of them. They didn't even fight together until the very last moment.

JL will be different. It's going to be the first DC ensemble movie. I mean, it'll be if WB don't decide to turn it into Batman and friends.