grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/16/birth-nation-nate-parker-rape-trial-release-date?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

The studio confirmed to EW that the film about Nat Turner’s 1831 slave rebellion is still scheduled to open nationwide Oct. 7, and said in a statement, “Searchlight is aware of the incident that occurred while Nate Parker was at Penn State. We also know that he was found innocent and cleared of all charges. We stand behind Nate and are proud to help bring this important and powerful story to the screen.”

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That statement is the wrong move. 

He was not "found innocent." It is debatable whether he was "cleared." 

FoxS is trying to save their money with spin. 

I can't pay to see this movie. 

I was actually hoping to see this... 

Hollywood really needs to get rid of all the deviants from the town, and stop protecting them, because shit like this is just gonna turn off people and solidify it's image as a free for all place of depravity. Just like the Catholic Church's image has been harmed significantly

As for this movie, the scandal may affect the reviewer's mindsets, hurting the DOM box office

29 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I believe this statement originally came out right after Parker's interview and before the news that she had committed suicide in 2012 and the interview with her brother, which made his interview look worse that it already was.

I can't fathom that Fox would still want to send him on that contractual roadshow tour of colleges and churches.  How they get out of it will be interesting.  Will Parker still insist on it?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Some interesting discussion to be had here, but this thread is already veering back into being not about the movie.

Lol mods might as well nuke this thread. This isn't gonna go away quietly, nor is likely to have minimal impact on the movie.