CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Hmm, I don't know about that... when I mentioned 'popular', I meant in the vein of general knowledge. The casual audience is very aware of what Alice In Wonderland and Cinderella are, two of the most legendary fairytales of all time, and I think The Jungle Book is less widely known than them. But even in those other terms, I'm pretty sure Alice and Cinderella (the Disney animation versions) are both very well liked. I'm not saying JB is hated or anything, not even close, but I always saw it as more... unnoticed compared to those other classic animations. Definitely agree w/Sleeping Beauty though, but Maleficent is more iconic than any JB character.

You are right about their overall popularity as stories. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Alice have had dozens of adaptations direct or otherwise over the decades compared to Jungle Book because they are more popular fairytales.

But I think you are wrong about their popularity strictly as Disney animated classics. Jungle Book is one of the biggest hits of Disney's classic canon, way bigger than the other 3, the Soundtrack alone is beyond iconic. What's so well remembered about Alice and Cinderella animations from the 50s?

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, department store basement said:

He'll do the Jungle Book spinoff instead.

You know, the one where Baloo flies a plane.

I can't get past the hilarity of TaleSpin's concept. It's like making a space adventure with Jiminy Cricket or a noire thriller with Sebastian the Crab.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Favreau will do a Jungle Book sequel.

I heard he's just going to be a producer on the sequel.  My guess is he makes Disney money with JB and SW then he's allowed to do Magic Kingdom.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DAR said:

I'm thinking 90m too.  Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Disney taps for Favreau for SW spinoff after this weekend.

Funny how Favreau got his cred by doing independent relationship drama like Swingers & Made. Now he is getting these big budget visual-driven blockbusters (Jungle 2 is in development) 

1 minute ago, zackzack said:

Funny how Favreau got his cred by doing independent relationship drama like Swingers & Made. Now he is getting these big budget visual-driven blockbusters (Jungle 2 is in development) 

Favreau didn't direct Swingers, Doug Liman did.

Speaking of Liman, he might be going down this path as well after Edge of Tomorrow. Is he still attached to Gambit?

7 minutes ago, Joel M said:

You are right about their overall popularity as stories. Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Alice have had dozens of adaptations direct or otherwise over the decades compared to Jungle Book because they are more popular fairytales.

But I think you are wrong about their popularity strictly as Disney animated classics. Jungle Book is one of the biggest hits of Disney's classic canon, way bigger than the other 3, the Soundtrack alone is beyond iconic. What's so well remembered about Alice and Cinderella animations from the 50s?

Well, from Cinderella, probably the scene where she becomes a princess and when the prince puts the shoe on her and all that jazz, not to mention Cinderella's castle is LITERALLY Disney's logo and trademark, and the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts have always been instantly recognizable characters, at least for me. I don't know, I've always felt like The Jungle Book was a bit more obscure than those other properties for some reason. But it doesn't matter, since, Alice aside, it will beat them all numbers wise, which is more than enough of a win for them.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Favreau didn't direct Swingers, Doug Liman did.

Speaking of Liman, he might be going down this path as well after Edge of Tomorrow. Is he still attached to Gambit?

He wrote/produced though. It was his creation

23 minutes ago, a2knet said:

holy man-cub batman!
another 300m+ film before the summer? good lord. 4 of them - dp, zootp, bvs, tjb - before cw "kick-starts" things.

Maybe not if it opens to less than 100. Alice, Oz and Cinderella all couldn't crack 3x in the end.

• Like 1

I was doing a little research into grosses earlier this week.

Looking at the top studios but talking about Disney specifically today.

Starting with Movies released in 2010 through today (this decade) Disney's releases have avg $131MM in DOM take. To put that in perspective, Paramount was 2nd - with an $86MM avg take - though it should be pointed out that is due largely to movies they released in 2010 and 2011 - since 2011 Paramount's avg has been sub $50MM.

Disney releases fewer films than any of the other major studios and I believe has higher production costs - but they hit more than anybody else.

In 6+ yrs they are currently $300MM behind Warners in total DOM over that period, despite releasing half as many films (80 vs 162).

Fox got off to a great start this year but Disney is going to catch them by the first week in may if not sooner. 

• Like 1