WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 67): Captain Pirate: Piracy War 72.6M | Jungle Book 17.1M | Money Monster 14.8M | The Darkness 5M | Mother's Day 3.3M

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh Variety saying $15m for Money Monster and $5m for The Darkness now.

That would be an over performance for both. 

Hmm, so my totally random-looking box office comparisons may not be that far off the mark. Let's see if I can keep a pattern going with that.

I would take 22m hoping that holds... more curious to see TJB and MM #'s since there is a Summer Game Question tied in how well they do (or don't) and considering I said no to over 77m (which 22m makes quite possible)......

$15-17 OW for Money Monster? That's quite solid it could make around $50 million or so domestic and that would be a decent hit for Sony. They also have Angry Birds next weekend which could be a solid hit with families. Sony should have a decent summer/fall. Ghostbusters could be their downfall, but it's a 50/50 though.

1 hour ago, ThatOneGuy said:

I wonder if this pattern continues...

First week: Below predictions (Civil War was expected for 200 million+)

Second week: Above predictions (both films)

If it continues, Neighbors 2 will have a Ted 2-style drop-off, getting to 200 million, TMNT 2 having a massive drop, Warcraft defying all expectations, Finding Dory underperforming, Independence Day 2 having huge nostalgia factor, The BFG bombing, The Secret Life of Pets being bigger than Despicable Me, Ghostbusters being a Fant4stic-style flop, Star Trek Beyond grossing more than Into Darkness, Jason Bourne going lower than The Bourne Legacy, Suicide Squad going higher than Deadpool and reaching 400 million, Pete's Dragon not making it to 100 million, Ben-Hur breaking 100 million, and Don't Breathe will make under 1 million total.

Now suddenly watch all of these completely out of left field predictions come true.

imagegif

I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised by that Money Monster number. There hasn't been a star-driven adult drama in some time. God knows the trailer played in front of EVERY single film this spring. For that reason alone, I'm glad the damn thing is out. 

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That Saturday jump seems too optimistic after such a huge Friday increase.

I used IM3 63% jump. Ultron jumped 59% also which gets us to 80M+ weekend as well.  You do have a point about the Friday jump which is substantially higher than both so maybe Saturday jump will be around 50%. Hopefully 22M sticks because that's the key to a strong weekend hold.

• Like 1