WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 67): Captain Pirate: Piracy War 72.6M | Jungle Book 17.1M | Money Monster 14.8M | The Darkness 5M | Mother's Day 3.3M

Clooney's got The Perfect Storm. Granted that's a big budget sfx extravaganza, but still adjusts to being his top grosser (over Gravity), and he deserves at least some credit for that. That's around the same time he got a film like Three Kings to 60m (adjusts to over 100m), and that was all him. 

I think that Forbes article nails it, put him in a reasonably priced quality adult film, and you get the crowds to show up. Part of being a star is developing this kind of brand, his audience knows what kind of movie they'll be getting from him. I'm sure Clooney being attached to those projects is what gets them done actually.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

MM too has a budget of only 27m. With a 11-12m ow it will go 30m+. Hail Ceaser did 30m+ dom and os each for 60m+ ww on a 22m budget.

Edited by a2knet

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The ten lowest Derby predictions for The Darkness:

CoolEric258: 1.51M

Jmorphin: 2M

Rolling Thunder: 2.1M

AABATTERY: 3M

lilmac: 3M

WrathOfHan: 3M

nelmsey: 3.09M

boxofficeth: 3.1M

Exxdee: 3.21M

TalismanRing: 3.25M

Feels-Good-Man-Frog-02.png

Wow...I really lowballed on that one.

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh Variety saying $15m for Money Monster and $5m for The Darkness now.

That would be an over performance for both. 

Tilt’s horror-thriller “The Darkness,” starring Kevin Bacon and Radha Mitchell, is also launching this weekend and should gross about $5 million at 1,754 sites.

It's hard to tell (not unusual with Variety) if that's a new prediction based on Friday numbers (they don't give) or a holdover guess from their earlier w/e predictions.

If CAP3 does $22m on Friday with an AOU or IM3 Sat (60-63% jump) it could do $80-82m.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

So it is gonna be one of those weekends, heh?

Should do solid enough for the second weekend of May (traditionally a weak spot)

1. Captain America - Civil War: $77 million ($300 million) 
  2. The Jungle Book: $18.5 million ($312 million) 
  3. Money Monster: $16 million 
  4. Mother's Day: $6 million 
  5. The Darkness: $5 million 

Hopefully Nice Guys and Angry Birds overperform next weekend to offset Neighbors 2's $25-35 million OW. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh Variety saying $15m for Money Monster and $5m for The Darkness now.

That would be an over performance for both. 

I wonder if this pattern continues...

First week: Below predictions (Civil War was expected for 200 million+)

Second week: Above predictions (both films)

If it continues, Neighbors 2 will have a Ted 2-style drop-off, getting to 200 million, TMNT 2 having a massive drop, Warcraft defying all expectations, Finding Dory underperforming, Independence Day 2 having huge nostalgia factor, The BFG bombing, The Secret Life of Pets being bigger than Despicable Me, Ghostbusters being a Fant4stic-style flop, Star Trek Beyond grossing more than Into Darkness, Jason Bourne going lower than The Bourne Legacy, Suicide Squad going higher than Deadpool and reaching 400 million, Pete's Dragon not making it to 100 million, Ben-Hur breaking 100 million, and Don't Breathe will make under 1 million total.

Now suddenly watch all of these completely out of left field predictions come true.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

I wonder if this pattern continues...

First week: Below predictions (Civil War was expected for 200 million+)

Second week: Above predictions (both films)

If it continues, Neighbors 2 will have a Ted 2-style drop-off, getting to 200 million, TMNT 2 having a massive drop, Warcraft defying all expectations, Finding Dory underperforming, Independence Day 2 having huge nostalgia factor, The BFG bombing, The Secret Life of Pets being bigger than Despicable Me, Ghostbusters being a Fant4stic-style flop, Star Trek Beyond grossing more than Into Darkness, Jason Bourne going lower than The Bourne Legacy, Suicide Squad going higher than Deadpool and reaching 400 million, Pete's Dragon not making it to 100 million, Ben-Hur breaking 100 million, and Don't Breathe will make under 1 million total.

Now suddenly watch all of these completely out of left field predictions come true.

:kitschjob::apocalypse:

• Like 1