CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

4 hours ago, Willowra said:

Loss of DVD+PVod money=gain of Disney+ Subscribers/D+ money. So they aren't losing anything, and this will all make sense once D+ becomes profitable like Netflix.

Disney + is currently a financial loss for Disney. I am saying TLM isn't going to become profitable because of streaming on D+.

2 hours ago, Willowra said:

Nope, they wouldn't earn a lot more if they licenced content to Netflix or other streaming services, and if they do, then Disney will keep increasing the price of subscriptions until they become profitable.

Yes, there is no data to say X movie contributed this many subscribers, but total cumulative movies contribute a particular number of subscribers, and that's what matters

That's not how they turn profitable. Just raising prices doesn't increase profit. You also can't claim that TLM is going to drive subscribers to Disney + 

2 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

There is no data that suggest that you get significant subscriber lift per each movie (obviously there are exceptions).  The point being is that if a Disney film would go to Netlix or Amazon, they would earn a lot more. That revenue goes for the film department as well, whereas D+ revenue is distributed differently. Also there is no hard data to say that x film contributed y amount of subscribers. You can make estimations, but nothing is clear cut, therefore can't allocate funds either to precision. Yes it all goes to the same pot at the end of the day, but as mentioned before it's not as crystal clear revenue source for movies as it was before. 

And Disney is actually removing a lot of movies and series from the service already.

22 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Seems like a beginning of upcoming big change 

This actually seems a lot more like one hell of a wishful thinking than anything. A lot of the goal posts and people not being shy rooting against this film here on BOT is actually kinda hilarious to watch it unfold.

Congrats on The Little Mermaid of breaking $500m WW.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Lots of people don't know that CBMs are weak in Japan and Secondly, June is a slow month in Japan with no holidays and that's why major blockbuster avoid June/Feb would either go with GW or Summer/Winter Holidays and ahead of Obon Festival. So, winning against CBMs isn't a thing. Current Comps is lot behind Fast X &I don't think this would either reach Avatar 2. Kinda Pointless at the same time as Disney Adaptation do lot big numbers then what TLM is doing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

Lots of people don't know that CBMs are weak in Japan and Secondly, June is a slow month in Japan with no holidays and that's why major blockbuster avoid June/Feb would either go with GW or Summer/Winter Holidays and ahead of Obon Festival. So, winning against CBMs isn't a thing. Current Comps is lot behind Fast X &I don't think this would either reach Avatar 2. Kinda Pointless at the same time as Disney Adaptation do lot big numbers then what TLM is doing.

I’m not questioning your knowledge about Japan’s box office. We all know that Japan is a different market than let’s say Brazil. But that doesn’t change the fact that The Little Mermaid is actually doing very well overseas, despite all the vitriol and the "pundits" claiming it’s somehow a great failure actually. We live in a different world than the one we lived before the pandemic, and no, an Afro-American woman at a position of power at Walt Disney leaving the company to pursue other endeavors doesn’t mean that a "change is coming". In fact, it’s clear to me that bringing more diversity to Walt Disney’s films as a whole, either when it comes to their princesses to Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios has been proven to be an astounding success, regardless what you cryptically tries to imply / wish with that post I’ve quoted above.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not questioning your knowledge about Japan’s box office. We all know that Japan is a different market than let’s say Brazil. But that doesn’t change the fact that The Little Mermaid is actually doing very well overseas, despite all the vitriol and the "pundits" claiming it’s somehow a great failure actually. 

When did I tell this as a failure? Even when KP asked about upcoming struggle for Mario (I told that TLM might be barrier)

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

We live in a different world than the one we lived before the pandemic, and no, an Afro-American woman at a position of power at Walt Disney leaving the company to pursue other endeavors doesn’t mean that a "change is coming". In fact, it’s clear to me that bringing more diversity to Walt Disney’s films as a whole, either when it comes to their princesses to Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios has been proven to be an astounding success, regardless what you cryptically tries to imply / wish with that post I’ve quoted above.

If you don't know my sense of writing, you should quote me at allll. I say a change is coming is coming (WTH, arrogant comments I have passed???) Someone better might do the job which doesn't hurts any regional sentiments (See Mulan case too, Shang Chi?? What is wrong with you that Diversity officer left because of TLM) Kinda don't bother me at all if you just see things from a wrong angle 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

When did I tell this as a failure? Even when KP asked about upcoming struggle for Mario (I told that TLM might be barrier)

If you don't know my sense of writing, you should quote me at allll. I say a change is coming is coming (WTH, arrogant comments I have passed???) Someone better might do the job which doesn't hurts any regional sentiments (See Mulan case too, Shang Chi?? What is wrong with you that Diversity officer left because of TLM) Kinda don't bother me at all if you just see things from a wrong angle 

I don’t see how you can actually link a Diversity officer linked to Walt Disney as a whole leaving her position - not really related particularly to their films whatsoever - would have anything to do with The Little Mermaid’s performance, but maybe we both are having a lost in translation moment here.

What I mean is that no, that is clearly not related to The Little Mermaid’s  box office or profit as a franchise, that obviously goes far beyond what this film makes at the box office. Maybe you are getting some right wing western sources that link that to The Little Mermaid but that’s laughably wrong. I’d advise sticking most with trade sources because at least from the way I see it, putting these two together like it means something is just replicating what a lot of the right wing media is trying to spin it as factual, when that’s not how this works. I apologize since I believe English isn’t your first language - it isn’t mine either, but at same time I can understand how hard it is to filter news in the internet is this days lately - but that post of yours kinda replicated a message that is baseless and politically skewed to represent the "go woke, go broke" mentality from western right wing circles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t see how you can actually link a Diversity officer linked to Walt Disney as a whole leaving her position - not really related particularly to their films whatsoever - would have anything to do with The Little Mermaid’s performance, but maybe we both are having a lost in translation moment here.

What I mean is that no, that is clearly not related to The Little Mermaid’s  box office or profit as a franchise, that obviously goes far beyond what this film makes at the box office. Maybe you are getting some right wing western sources that link that to The Little Mermaid but that’s laughably wrong. I’d advise sticking most with trade sources because at least from the way I see it, putting these two together like it means something is just replicating what a lot of the right wing media is trying to spin it as factual, when that’s not how this works. I apologize since I believe English isn’t your first language - it isn’t mine either, but at same time I can understand how hard it is to filter news in the internet is this days lately - but that post of yours kinda replicated a message that is baseless and politically skewed to represent the "go woke, go broke" mentality from western right wing circles.

Tv Show Comedy GIF by HULU

54 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The same people saying TLM is actually doing great said it would make a billion before it released lol. It is a huge disappointment. I thought it would make 700-800m for sure.

There were people who were convinced it wouldn’t even hit $500 million. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

The same people saying TLM is actually doing great said it would make a billion before it released lol. It is a huge disappointment. I thought it would make 700-800m for sure.

I never said one thing about this film before seeing people go out of their fucking way to try discredit its box office run. It’s odd and embarrassing at this point. BOT has seen better days, it’s important to contextualize box office  from a market still recovering from the abysmal pandemic days. For what it’s worth, I don’t see how anyone could call the box office run of this film added to the insane amount of merch around it a failure. I’d actually even dare to argue that this film made more in merch for Walt Disney than any of the live action adaptations that came before, including The Lion King. It’s an obvious ideologically fueled debate about a Disney princess, which seems incredibly hilarious and weird it’s even happening.

• Knock It Off 1

25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There were people who were convinced it wouldn’t even hit $500 million. 

Exactly.

One only needs to go back to check the posts during the movie's opening weekend.

I don't think anyone is even saying TLM has been a blockbuster success but from its low overseas opening, it's held extremely well.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2023 at 8:31 AM, jedijake said:

Just curious (because I have no idea), what changes are on the horizon?

Probably none since that same role is going to be filled by someone very soon.

I'm not sure why it was even posted here, it has nothing to do with TLM or box office.

• Thanks 1